Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel wobble (NOT WHEELS)

krisdadude

• Krisdadude
    about 1 hour ago · #1

Steering Wheel Wobble (NOT WHEELS)

I have had my 2010 focus 1.8 zetec s 3 door for 4 months.
    Since Day one the steering wheel has a wobble from 60mph+ most notible from 60-70 and when accelerating.

It seems identical to a wheel balance issue but is not.

FYI:
    I have had the tyres balanced 20 times didnt help.

New wheels and tyres both balanced numerous times, swapped front to backs vice versa.

Still wobbling.

New drive shafts left and right.

Since the new drive shafts the vibration has increased slightly and i seem to have more vibration on acceleration up to 60mph then steering wheel wobble, it also can be intermittent, not sure whether it is caused by road up or downhill.

Dont know but I could be feeling accelerator vibration also but could be just clutching at straws.

All but one mechanic I speak to doesnt have any ideas, spoken to approx 12 different mechanics, the one who had ideas just named a big list to go through.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Had this on a mk2 mondeo but never resolved before someone sent it to the scrapyard in the sky...

Not mechanically minded enough to say for certain, but I would think maybe track rods, bad tracking (not balancing) or warped brake discs?

Is there any play in the front wheels when jacked up?

Possibly your front suspension bushes are worn. That'll give a tremor rather than a wobble and usually felt at all speeds, almost like you're driving over a roughly surface tarmacked road

Its had new brake discs and pads.

No play when jacked up, the steering wheel wobble comes in at exactly 60mph if i accelerate into 60 it gets more server seems to slightly subside past 70mph

The strange thing is how many mechanics dont know what the cause is even after inspection.

Thanks for your input

Just a thought.

How about a buckled alloy wheel rim? It could have resulted from a kerb strike sometime in the past. Balancing may not pick up an out of true rim.

What would I do?

First off jack the front up with both wheels off the ground and support with axle stands.

Then run the engine and transmission up to 60 or 70 MPH. Does the problem still happen? Can you see any wheel run out on the way up to this speed that might indicate a deformed tyre or rim?

Best of luck.

ScaniaPBman.

I had something similar which turned out to be a tyre which was wearing non-uniformly - if you raised the car on a ramp and turned the wheel, you could feel a wavy surface as you rub your hand over the turning wheel.  It started on a front wheel and was less noticeable when I rotated to the rear but eventually got worst - would start at about 55-60mph but die off if I accelerated beyond 70mph.  when on the front ,it was also noticeable when turning and braking at the same time when that wheel was on the front.  I changed the tyres and all has been fine since...worth a try? 

As original post. 

To try and fix the issue I bought new wheels and new tyres to try and sort this issue and had these balanced also.

Mechanic has it now so just waiting...... what the hell is iit?

stress!!!! haha

So have the hubs been checked for run out? That would have been one of the first things to try .

this interests me as mechanic me tioned that when the discs go changed did they clean the hub where the disc presses on it! 

5 hours ago, iantt said:

one or more front hubs. (wheel bearing and hub assy)

Sounds like your mechanics you've used so far are none to clever.

• Like 1

yeh thats what I thought but really all of them cant be bad!

The guy that has it now is supposedly good and is being done from under warranty from the dealer I bought it from, he drove out with me and saw the problem immediatly.

All I want is a car that the steering doesnt shake

Update:

The mechanic doesnt seem to know what it is, they are keeping it for a few days.

He actually told me that his car has a steering wobble but cant be arsed doing anything about it. 

Makes me think when he test drives mine it just feels normal.

Is it normal to get more wobble on stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres?

I would think only if the road surface is wobbly. 

Yes you'll feel the road surface more but that would be at any speeds, not just bang on 60...

Comparing my present Fiesta to my previous Focus ST, the heavier Focus tended to ride the smaller bumps better, but larger ones rocked the car due to the stiffer suspension. On very uneven road surfaces; not necessarily pitted, but just not laid very well; there is little difference. The wider profile tyres of the Focus would cause the car to pull more noticeably left/right when it encountered a larger bump (tramlining)

All these affects though are as Phil has said, noticeable at all speeds

I had my 2 front tyres replaced when the car was 26 months old (had to get them shipped up specially and at great expense, because there was no stock in Shetland - Continentals I think, but exact replicas of the existing ones from new). 9 months later I got a puncture and had to replace asap - a Goodrich was fitted. Eventually the other front was also replaced with a Goodrich. I noticed a small tremor (not a wobble, but each person could interpret it differently) in the steering at all speeds, that hadn't been there before. The tyres are cheaper and so that could have been the cause. However, I think it was more likely that the tyres hadn't been put on straight. As I did a very low mileage, the tyres were not replaced again although I had the wheels moved front-to-back later to extend tyre wear and the wheels rebalanced and tracked on numerous occasions, the tremor never left.

Good luck fixing a steering wobble...I've never had a car that's completely wobble free regardless of age or mileage.  Had one on the Focus for the 3 years I've owned it, in that time it's had different tyres and brakes, tracking done 3 times, engine mounts changed, never found any play on a mates ramp or on the MOTs, until this year the MOT tester found play in a rear wishbone bush.  

Put off changing the bushes for 6 months until one completely split and any rough road or bump on the NS was dragging the car so thought I'd better get it done, finally got round to changing complete arms and had alignment done...and there's still a damn wobble! :laugh:  It's not horrific, most people probably wouldn't even notice, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so any wobble irritates me lol.  There's also a weird intermittent pull away issues that's been there since I bought it, the NSF wheel judders from a standing  start when the engines cold, doesn't matter how many revs I put on or if the road is wet or dry and it only happens once a fortnight or so...thought that might have been caused by the rear wishbone bush, but nope, that's still exactly the same as it was before as well lol!  

I know it doesnt really solve any of issues but it definetly makes me feel better that the wobble/tremor effects other people also.

As you said tom, maybe we are too much of perfectionists but...if it wobbles it wobbles and I like to drive a car that doesnt.

what fustrates me though is the lack of attention "most" mechanics give to a problem, if its not brakes or new clutch or something smacking them in the face the general rule is errrrrr, not sure!!! well look at it drive it and find the issue pleaaaase!

• Like 1

Boils down to money. If a tech isn't earning bonus on a job then it's "nff" (no fault found)

This is why I am really keen on learning as much as possible so I can do as much as possible myself.

Nobody will care about your car as much as you do so only you will be able to do the job to your satisfaction.

Bit like running a business really...

• Like 1

Very true, problem I have is I keep changing my car so often.

But definitley doing it yourself has mass benefits.

Im an engineer so know about mechanics just not specifically cars.

Hopefully get the car back tomoz so will post an update...

so...mechanic drove it after fitting now 2nd set of drive shafts just to make sure that wasnt the issue, now going to check mounts

just hope it gets sorted

On 21/09/2017 at 8:04 PM, krisdadude said:

Very true, problem I have is I keep changing my car so often.

But definitley doing it yourself has mass benefits.

Im an engineer so know about mechanics just not specifically cars.

Hopefully get the car back tomoz so will post an update...

To be honest a lot of the knowledge you gain from doing stuff yourself carries over to other cars including other manufacturers e.g. brake systems etc.  If you do change your car regularly then if you try to keep to the same manufacturer you'll get the maximum cross over of knowledge e.g. a Fiesta and Focus might have the same baking system or the same engine etc.

yeh its not really worked out like that for me

VW then Honda then Mini then ford.

In terms of driveability the mini was incredible, my ford focus now is amazing just lacking power but stability around corners is incredible.

The garage still have the car, no word as of yet!

Been doing alot of research and looks like you just have to go through the entire fron end drivetrain and suspension.

suspension mounts
steering rack end links, bushes 
wheel bearing
hub assembly
bent wheel nut
track rods
tie rod ends

Fingers crossed i get a call today, good thing this is under warranty.

my focus estate 1.6 tdci 2006 does exactly the same 60 mph to 70 mph changed the front legs  front wishbones all 4 new tyres all wheels balanced 4 wheel tracking also had the camber checked i am a 56 year old mechanic and even i cannot find anything to say its this or that it is getting on my ***** now  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club