Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Focus mk2 xenon projector conversion

MadeByAlex.

Hi guys just was flicking through eBay and seen a pair of oem pre facelift st225 bixenon projector headlights in mint nick up for auction and I ended up getting then for 70 quid which is a robery (pic below). My focus is a mk2 pre facelift is just a standard zetec model and doesn't have auto lights or any of that it's just standard. Just wondering will they plug and play and function the same as my old headlights or will I have to to a bit of playing around with wiring, thanks lads 

DSC00579-1.jpg

I think (but stand to be corrected) that to get them to work you'll need ballasts. To make them legal, you'll need levellers and washers.

I may just be thinking of LEDs here though but if I'm right, it's a conversion most don't do due to the minefield around it.

I wish you best of luck with it though and if you take it on, post all about it here cos we will all wanna see you do it!

21 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

I think (but stand to be corrected) that to get them to work you'll need ballasts. To make them legal, you'll need levellers and washers.

I may just be thinking of LEDs here though but if I'm right, it's a conversion most don't do due to the minefield around it.

I wish you best of luck with it though and if you take it on, post all about it here cos we will all wanna see you do it!

Thanks for dropping me a line Phil! Can't find any information on them so I'm just going to have to make it work myself, I'm fairly handy at this crack so I'll have a look when I get spare time and I'll write a half detailed tutorial, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

If I can find my Haynes manual tomorrow; I'll upload a picture of the headlights wiring diagram page.

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

If I can find my Haynes manual tomorrow; I'll upload a picture of the headlights wiring diagram page.

lenny that would be great! Sat down for 3 hours yesterday trying to identify the terminals on the 10 pin headlight and the 8 pin harness on my car and can only find what a few of them do. Thanks for the help 

2 hours ago, MadeByAlex. said:

lenny that would be great! Sat down for 3 hours yesterday trying to identify the terminals on the 10 pin headlight and the 8 pin harness on my car and can only find what a few of them do. Thanks for the help 

Hope this helps 

20171002_112323.thumb.jpg.93391f529f58cbc687ec773fc462e30a.jpg

8 hours ago, Lenny said:

Hope this helps 

20171002_112323.thumb.jpg.93391f529f58cbc687ec773fc462e30a.jpg

I've read through it and it just appears to be fuse locations, I've attached two photos of a: my headlight it has 7 pins marked in red 

And b the st225 bixenon headlight and it has all 10 pins, looking to identify them so i know what way to rejig the wiring, thanks for your kind help! 

IMG_20171002_200208.jpg

20171002_201657.jpg

Update: after another few hours of investigation I think I have it sussed. Will update tomorrow for those of you who are interested :)

• Like 1

When I was doing my LED indicators and tracing the dimming wire for my DRLs, I literally had to get a multimeter across each pin and ground to find out what each one did!

20 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

When I was doing my LED indicators and tracing the dimming wire for my DRLs, I literally had to get a multimeter across each pin and ground to find out what each one did!

Yeah same as myself! Spend a good while drawing my own diagram and all 

Thanks for the comment!

So after looking through the internet and found nothing I finally fitted my bixenon headlights. All I needed was xenon negative for it to work. I soldered it to the ground going directly to the ballast shown in the picture with white insulation tape going around it to prevent a short. I then screwed this to the car and sprayed with galvo to prevent rust.Thanks for the help guys.

20171004_171243.jpg

20171004_180631.jpg

20171004_180639.jpg

20171004_171256.jpg

20171004_182551.jpg

20171002_211752.jpg

IMG_20171004_185427.jpg

Nice job! Can we have a pic of them working?

Lol I don't think we were actually that helpful! I told you not to do it and Lenny sent you a schematic you couldn't use!

Anyway nice perseverance and they look great mate!

• Like 1

On 04/10/2017 at 10:51 PM, Phil21185 said:

Nice job! Can we have a pic of them working?

Lol I don't think we were actually that helpful! I told you not to do it and Lenny sent you a schematic you couldn't use!

Anyway nice perseverance and they look great mate!

Sorry for the delayed reply Phil I've been working a lot and didn't get a chance to get on. One is at night one is in the evening. It looks a tad yellow in the pic in the evening from the camera, it's actually pure white exactly like in the night photo. Thanks 

IMG_20171006_190503.jpg

20171005_213815.jpg

Looks great! Hows the pattern?

Good, drops off a little on the right hand side but I can deal with it, I don't have the levelling sensors fitted or the wiring for it so I'm not bothered with it. There's a way to manually adjust them on the headlight so I'll flute around with it when I get the chance but it's not my main priority at the moment haha.

Going to focus on getting a foglight surround  because someone stole one off the car when I was at the shops. Nightmare to get here in Ireland as I have a focus cabriolet front bumper from the ford styling pack 2 and there's none in the scrap yards And the motor factors is looking for nearly €50 for one!

I want to buy a pair because I'm afraid if I buy one they will be different colours from wear and tear the past 11 years.

i was looking at getting the drl foglight built in to the cover for around 140 euro but I can only seem to find them in China and I don't want to wait 6 weeks 

any idea of where to get the surrounds or even the drl's ? I'll attach photos.

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club