Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3 stop start not working

Tommo17

Hi my stop start has stopped working. On the test menu it shows my battery as 11.4v with everything off. Is that healthy enough for the system to work. Done a 20minute trip down the motorway last weekend and had everything off as approaching the city and it still didn't activate. Anyone else had same issue. Or know a fix. 

Thanks

I know mine is reluctant to enter s/s if I have the air con on...

11.4v is a flat battery mate so sounds like your monitoring system is out of whack.

There is a procedure for resetting it involving pushing of buttons which might help. @iantt has posted about it before but I'll be buggered if I can find it...

Edit:

Here is what Ian put in another thread so Kudos to him if it solves your problem:

Ron, if you want to have a go at reseting battery monitoring, just do as follows

Ign on for 10 secs, press rear foglighr switch 5 times, press hazzard switch 3 times, wait 10 secs. battery light flashes. Ign off

use car, and see if thst fixes

Full thread here so you can go and thank him! Lol!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

I know mine is reluctant to enter s/s if I have the air con on...

11.4v is a flat battery mate so sounds like your monitoring system is out of whack.

There is a procedure for resetting it involving pushing of buttons which might help. @iantt has posted about it before but I'll be buggered if I can find it...

Edit:

Here is what Ian put in another thread so Kudos to him if it solves your problem:

Ron, if you want to have a go at reseting battery monitoring, just do as follows

Ign on for 10 secs, press rear foglighr switch 5 times, press hazzard switch 3 times, wait 10 secs. Battery light flashes. Ign off

use car, and see if thst fixes

Full thread here so you can go and thank him! Lol!

I will give that a try. And give that thread a good read  

thanks

Hope it helps.

Edit: interestingly my car reads 11.7 with just the ignition on and as I say, mine is very reluctant to use s/s if the air con is on. 

I used Ian's procedure successfully (the battery light flashed) and the dish still says 11.7v so will have to see 

Mine hadn't worked for about 6 months until I went on holiday to Cornwall. Whilst there it started working and worked several times every day for two weeks. Now it doesn't work again.

The smart charging system tries to keep the battery charged to 80%. The stop/start needs the battery to be above a certain charge level or it won't work. My battery usually shows 11.4v on the diagnostic display with the engine not running.

My theory is that the hills in Cornwall allowed the regenerative charging system to charge the battery to more than 80% and that caused the stop/start system to work for a while. Now I am back in Lincolnshire and all journeys are on flat ground the battery has dropped back to 80% charge and stop/start no longer works.

Thanks. Will get a smart battery charger and reset the battery monitor and see if that helps. Not got any trips planned more than a few mile lol

The smart charging system is built into the car which is why you should never jump start it! 

Hmm I wonder what the voltage reads at the terminals then? Time to get my multimeter out.

Lincolnshire shout out by the way!

When you turn the ignition on, all the car services are live, and you will be drawing a fair amount of current. You should test the battery with a multimeter across the battery terminals on the 20V scale.  Anything below about 12.5 is starting to be cause for concern for a car that's been left overnight.  When you start the car the starter motor give the battery a big hit with possibly 40-50 Amps drain., if your battery doesn't regularly show 12.7, it's on its way out.  Modern batteries quite often will appear ok, until the morning you need to start the car urgently!

8 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

When you turn the ignition on, all the car services are live, and you will be drawing a fair amount of current. You should test the battery with a multimeter across the battery terminals on the 20V scale.  Anything below about 12.5 is starting to be cause for concern for a car that's been left overnight.  When you start the car the starter motor give the battery a big hit with possibly 40-50 Amps drain., if your battery doesn't regularly show 12.7, it's on its way out.  Modern batteries quite often will appear ok, until the morning you need to start the car urgently!

Thanks for that. I'll get my meter out tonight and report back what it is at the terminals. 

Thanks Ian been running about today in the car and after doing the reset it started working again. Happy days

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thanx for the procedure @iantt 👍🏼 this worked a treat for me. Stop/Start was intermittent and thought I was going mad 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Newbie here, on both the Forum and to my new car.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is exactly the problem I am having. And I know I could just take it back to the garage under warranty, but I'd love to try any quick fixes before I make the journey.

I have a 2018 40k km 1.5 diesel. I just bought it and only done a few journeys in it. With Auto Stop/Start on, and in the right conditions, I get the struck through A symbol on the dashboard, presumably when it would otherwise have functioned.

I'd like to try the procedure to reset the BCS, but I am confused as the first instruction is to turn on the ignition? I have the passive key, so I just get in, foot on clutch and push the button, so how do I turn on the ignition, or is that code for "start the car"?

Sorry, I've not had start/stop before now, its a whole new world!

Ta!

To turn on the ignition on a Keyless Start vehicle with manual transmission you have to push the start button without touching the clutch pedal. 

Thank you!

You can tell its a very new car to me can't you!

It's hardly your fault. As far as I can see the Ford User manual doesn't tell you this. I only found out by accident when I forgot to press the clutch early on in the ownership of my car.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a 2019 Ford Focus, it's done 7000 miles & my stop/start has stopped working. I bought a smart charger & topped up the battery so it's now full but still no response from the stop/start other than the greyed out A with a line through it. Will the solution suggested on here work on my car?

Many Thanks.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi to all I just want to thank you for the knowledge you share. I changed my battery at my Ford Focus MK3 turnier 1.6 Tdci and this procedure worked excellent, to reset the battery. In case you want to disable permanently the Start/Stop ( not from the button everytime I run the car ) is there any other procedure to do it?

On 11/27/2019 at 6:13 PM, Dave 51 said:

Hi,

I have a 2019 Ford Focus, it's done 7000 miles & my stop/start has stopped working. I bought a smart charger & topped up the battery so it's now full but still no response from the stop/start other than the greyed out A with a line through it. Will the solution suggested on here work on my car?

Many Thanks.

Dave

Dear Dave,

I would recommend that you visit the nearest Ford dealer as the car is still new and under warranty. They can read the log and and the faults. There are certain circumstances that S/S works or doesn't work. Maybe a defective battery? Or too cold weather to make a S/S?

Mine seems to work every time I forget to press the override button.... 🙄

Hi just buying my car this week, will it have stop start?  Its a 2014/14 Focus Tit Nav Powershift 1.6

thanks

I have Ford focus 2016 1.5 My S/S stopped working. While driving, some warning lights turned on and off very shortly and  return to normal. After this incident, I have a feeling that start and stop function stopped working. I would be grateful if you can help me figure out what may cause this problem. Many thanks in advance.