Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST TDCI OWNERS, BEST MPG

james_60

Hello :-)

What is your best mpg with your ST Tdci

Mine is 56 mpg

Jamie

I had one on demo for a week a couple of years ago, my best was 52 MPG on a "brisk" run to the coast and my worst was 26 MPG when I spent 20 minutes "testing" the capabilities of the car :whistling1: I managed to get the brakes smoking but what impressed me the most was even when they were roasting hot they didn't seem to fade and when I drove the car later everything still worked perfectly (no vibrations etc).

Everyone is too busy enjoying driving 'em! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Or at the fuel station filling them up... :laugh: 

That would be the drivers of the petrol ST :whip:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

That would be the drivers of the petrol ST :whip:

True...  I must admit I'm not overly impressed with a top MPG of 52-56 from a modern 2.0 diesel though?  You could easily average that 15 years ago with a 2.0 HDi, 1.9TDi or 1.9CDTi.  In fact my 1.9TDi Golf, mapped from 130bhp to 180bhp, used to average 60mpg...at 10 years old with 130k on it.  

It seems that although safety and refinement has improved, MPG hasn't, even if the book figures say it has.  I was really disappointed with the 1.6TDCi mpg after the previous cars I've owned, it's not the worst diesel, and obviously better than the petrol equivalent but I was expecting an easy 60mpg average from a small, modern diesel, with only 110bhp, specifically designed with fuel consumption and emissions in mind.  In 3 years it's never managed 60mpg over a tankful. :sad: 

• Haha 1

Don't forget the 2.0 TDCi in the ST is just a refined version of the 2.0 HDi from 15 years ago.

It's still an old PSA DW10 engine. I used to get about 38 MPG out of my 163PS Mk3 Focus, best I ever saw was about 50 driving 4 hours back from Cornwall.

The Ford EcoBlues are the modern diesels.

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

True...  I must admit I'm not overly impressed with a top MPG of 52-56 from a modern 2.0 diesel though?  You could easily average that 15 years ago with a 2.0 HDi, 1.9TDi or 1.9CDTi.  In fact my 1.9TDi Golf, mapped from 130bhp to 180bhp, used to average 60mpg...at 10 years old with 130k on it.  

It seems that although safety and refinement has improved, MPG hasn't, even if the book figures say it has.  I was really disappointed with the 1.6TDCi mpg after the previous cars I've owned, it's not the worst diesel, and obviously better than the petrol equivalent but I was expecting an easy 60mpg average from a small, modern diesel, with only 110bhp, specifically designed with fuel consumption and emissions in mind.  In 3 years it's never managed 60mpg over a tankful. :sad: 

Also, over the last 15 years cars have on average got heavier which doesn't help the MPG figure.

Fair point, credit crunch and Euro6 emissions forced cars to become lighter again now though.  The mk3 is equivalently slightly lighter than the mk2...

Parkers figures - 

Mk3 2.0 ST TDCI 2 5dr - 1388kg

Mk2 2.0 TDCi 5dr Titanium - 1391kg 

Mk2 1.6 TDCi 5dr Titanium - 1356kg 

Thought I'd check some of the other diesels I've had as well, as you say they have mostly been a fair bit lighter, but I didn't realise the Vectra was so heavy!  :ohmy:  The torque and 6sp box really helped it, felt much quicker than my (now 140bhp) Focus.  MPG on that was only about 53mpg average.

Ph3 HDi Meridian 5dr 306 - 1155kg

Mk4 Golf GT TDi 5dr - 1261kg

Vectra C 1.9TDCi Design - 1459kg 

I only get 56 mpg if i drive it very very carefully which takes the fun away. ROFL

I mostly do motorway miles.

Jamie

I'd be quite upset if my mpg ever dropped below 55 over a tankful... :lol:   I don't drive for mpg, I tend to drive fast but smooth - ie high gear, low to mid revs, maintain speed, never brake, don't stop for empty roundabouts/junctions, drop a gear if you need to slow.  But other people ruin my flow sadly, which in turn ruins my mpg. :sad:  Wish people would realise driving slowly and braking constantly is wasting their fuel and time as well as mine.   :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2017 at 12:48 PM, TomsFocus said:

I'd be quite upset if my mpg ever dropped below 55 over a tankful... :lol:   I don't drive for mpg, I tend to drive fast but smooth - ie high gear, low to mid revs, maintain speed, never brake, don't stop for empty roundabouts/junctions, drop a gear if you need to slow.  But other people ruin my flow sadly, which in turn ruins my mpg. :sad:  Wish people would realise driving slowly and braking constantly is wasting their fuel and time as well as mine.   :rolleyes: 

i stay out of the way lol having had 9 speeding points i have learnt my lesson. 

plus fuel is getting dearer and my wallet is lighter at the moment.

Im using supermarket derv & Miller Diesel Power EcoMax

should i get more than 56 mpg lol

Jamie

9 points?  Sounds like you didn't learn soon enough. :tongue:

That said, I've passed 2 camera vans in 2 days this week, can't remember the last time I saw one!  Fortunately I was obeying the limit, as always. :wink: No points here so far...

Do the additives really make any difference to mpg?  I can't say there's any difference in consumption between Sainsbury's or BP diesel, I find Sainsbury's is a bit smokier and feels slightly worse but doesn't change the mpg.  For reference, I have recorded every fill up on my focus over the last 3 years lol, I'm fairly anal about mpg. :laugh:

6 of the points were because i did 56 mph in a tempory motorway speed limit with average speed camera's

the other 2 were overtaking a bus that speeded up as i was overtaking thus causing me to over speed and be snapped doing over 60 mph

I used to be anal about recording every fill up. but have not really done that this year.

For the last few weeks i have been using asda en590 rather than Shell V power or Bp ultimate. 

Jamie

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club