Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What fuse to use for dash cam installation

Hudz2017

Hi everyone. I am having a bit of a nightmare with my dash cam installation in my Ford Mondeo Titanium 2009.

I am trying to find a fuse within the central fuse box that powers on with the ignition.

When I connect the nextbase hard wire kit fuse adaptor to piggyback on a fuse, the dash cam is always getting power. 

I have tried fuses such as "audio system", "instrument cluster" and "cigarette lighter".  Shouldn't these fuses only be receiving power when the ignition is on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Carl

Cigarette lighter power goes off after 15 minutes, this is what I use for mine. (from the fuse box in the passenger footwell)

Thank you for your reply! This fuse in my car seems to stay on

Anyone else fitted a dash cam in a mondeo with a hard wire kit? 

Are you using the right fues location? F7 on my 2011 car (not sure if it's the same for yours)

59c8d4b6cb786_FusePositions.thumb.jpg.077a8fb096d26325d2b1bb1f15b4b7fb.jpg 59c8d4b5e6d9c_Fuseboxdiagram.thumb.jpg.00cbacbd4130ea9ad38d86ce9bd230a9.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I have checked the fuse diagram for my car mine says F19 - 15amp - Blue for cigarette lighter fuse. I will try again today shortly. I went to Halfords for use of their multimeter and they said it's unusual for most of the fuses in the centre fuse box to still have power after 10/15 minutes after ignition goes off. Is this right? I'm going to wait a bit longer to see if power is eventually cut after a bit longer 

It will be nearer 15 mins on the Mondeo. But note, as soon as you unlock the car or open the doors again it will power up, therefore either look through the windows or sit in the car when you check again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You might have already sorted this but I have mine connected to fuse 10 behind the glove box which supplies the sun roof (not fitted on mine so no fuse). This is switched with the ignition..

• Like 1

Also if you have "Keyless entry", if you're within range of the car with the fob the car will stay electrically "active".

• 2 weeks later...

I used the fuse that feeds the esp. Comes on with ignition and goes off. Works well. I would tell you which one it is but I think my book is different so I just pulled out every fuse until it worked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just to add something to this topic as was finding it hard also.

I used fuse F17 (Interior lights) using a fuse tap. Camera turns on when unlocking and stays on for 15 mins after locking up.

careful with the fuses in the manual, seem the opposite way around to what you are actually looking at.

Also, you will find a place to ground it to the right of the fuse box above a blue plug (of sorts).

hope this helps someone 😀

• 2 months later...
On 07/11/2017 at 2:57 PM, Hellboy said:

I used the fuse that feeds the esp. Comes on with ignition and goes off. Works well. I would tell you which one it is but I think my book is different so I just pulled out every fuse until it worked.

Thanks for this, I have just struggled for an hr trying loads of fuses scratching my head, finally decided to join the forum and saw this..... esp fuse works great 👍🏻

• 1 month later...

I have mine hard wired to the cigarette lighter (09 tit X sport) with no problems. 

Doesn't that shut down after a while? if so, parking mode will require an always on feed.

I'd rather have it go off in fear of it draining the battery 

Most good parking mode enabled cameras have a shut off, my Thinkware F770 works all night but if its been a busy night on the road it might switch off about 4AM to keep the battery alive. parking mode is a god send!

• 1 month later...

I just used Fuse 24 (spare). The camera switches off after a few minutes with no motion. I will see how this goes as I only bought it yesterday and fitted the camera today. 

• 1 month later...

Use F3 ESP 7.5A Brown in the Central Fuse Box.

Third fuse down from the top on the right row of fuses.

*TOP TIP* Turn your book upside down for UK spec.

Goes ON when press the START button and goes OFF when I press the START button when turn off the car.

All the other Fuses uses power when the car is unlocked or door opened and goes off after 15 minutes after the car is stopped or locked.

Personally I wouldn't recommend piggybacking on to another circuit as it's not necessary and those circuits were not designed for that use, this could cause issues, if one item fried during an incident/issue then your camera gets fried too or vice versa.

I would recommend that people wire this directly to the actual ignition on live wire itself. It's just behind the steering column at the back of the ignition. When the ignition key is rotated a particular large wire goes live at the back of the barrel. Connection to this with a fuse inline and this will provide the camera with its own circuit and fuse altogether. Now your camera will go on and off with the ign key there and then.

For people with push button start, the button on the dash likely activates an ign relay, tap into the same line there. 

The correct cable for both applications will be dead with ign off and live with ign on. A basic multimeter or bulb with two soldered wires can guide you there. 

Your cars systems are probably staying live for a a while after because you have not yet locked the car, doing so puts all the computers and systems into sleep mode, shuts everything down.

Everythjng should have its own circuit for its own "protection" and to prevent interference, hence why there are so many circuits, fuses, relays in your cars for you to go hunting down one day. 

Rossco

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 9:39 PM, Keith Burnett said:

*TOP TIP* Turn your book upside down for UK spec.

Good old Ford! :wallbash:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Its not just Ford, my BMW GS  bike is the same as was my Citreon C5 oh and the missus Skoda Roomster

Just now, pragmatix said:

Its not just Ford, my BMW GS  bike is the same as was my Citreon C5 oh and the missus Skoda Roomster

Maybe it's for the Australian market :whip:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1979Damian said:

Maybe it's for the Australian market :whip:

Nah its to encourage you to do yoga type headstands😂

• Like 1

Just now, pragmatix said:

Nah its to encourage you to do yoga type headstands😂

And you "obviously" have to do the headstand in the passenger footwell :wacko:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, looks like i have it in the wrong fuse cos it does not go off after 15 mins, have a better look and sort it out, I fitted it wrong and it cost me £130 at main dealer to fix the ***** fuse I blow (i didnt test them right) lesson learnt. Amy way looks like I will be turning the book upside down and fix it right I have to manually turn it off at the min. 

On 9/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, 1979Damian said:

Thanks I will give it a look, and get back

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club