Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lower miles on engine than on the car

Simon2389

I have recently had a replacement engine put in to my car. This engine apparently has between 80 to 90 thousands miles on it. The car is showing 121,000 from the previous engine. Is there any way of matching up the new engine to show on the display on the car ie the correct miles

If you change the engine, the mileage would stay the same to reflect the mileage on the body, suspension, components, interior etc, but it would no longer reflect the mileages of the engine.

Even if you put a brand new engine with 0 miles on it you still can't legally change the odometer, becasue the rest of the car, gearbox, components, etc. would still have that much wear on it.

Only thing you can legally do is keep the invoice for the engine from a garage or a receipt showing the mileage on the engine.

You can not lawfully change the clocks to match the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

You can not lawfully change the clocks to match the engine.

Pretty sure that's not true unless it's changed recently?  You just have to tell any potential buyer about it.  I used to just swap the clocks with the engine and keep a note of the date and mileage it was changed in the service history or service book if there was one.  

You must record the mileage when the engine is pulled. That should be revealed to the next buyer and so on. From that reading, the new mileage can be calculated, and by addition the total mileage is available to any buyer.
Seeing as mileage is now recorded when carrying out an MoT and readily available to view online any clocking backwards for any reason is still illegal.
The exception is if fitting a new cluster whereby the odo can be advanced to the correct mileage and the action recorded in your service logbook / reported to DoT & DVLA.

So is there any way of finding out the exact mileage. I bought the engine on eBay and the seller didn't know the exact mileage 

Only option other than finding someone who can match engine numbers to registrations (VOSA?) is if you can obtain the registration of the donor car and check the recorded mileage on the last MoT report.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=1.219117456.865417927.1477904396

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

The exception is if fitting a new cluster whereby the odo can be advanced to the correct mileage and the action recorded in your service logbook / reported to DoT & DVLA.

The Swift's around 15plate have a common issue where the digital clock on the Speedo loses time and so it's different to the time on the sat nav.  My Mum's has this fault and the main Suzuki dealer offered to change the clocks under warranty as a known fault but said they can't change the mileage so would just record it in the service book.  I tried finding a work around for this but it seems you just can't adjust them on Suzuki's.  She's decided to live with it as she didn't want the mileage reset.

I'm still not convinced it's illegal to have different mileage clocks unless you're specifically trying to deceive a buyer but I'll agree to disagree. :smile:

On 9/24/2017 at 8:22 PM, Simon2389 said:

I have recently had a replacement engine put in to my car. This engine apparently has between 80 to 90 thousands miles on it. The car is showing 121,000 from the previous engine. Is there any way of matching up the new engine to show on the display on the car ie the correct miles

The car has still done 121,000 miles so it is reading the correct miles. Only if you were to replace every component of the car might you then be warranted to change the odometer but even then you're in a Ship of Theseus scenario with no clear cut outcome!

I'd just note the 'new' engine as part of your service history but not make claim to what mileage it had done in just the same way you cannot vouch for any aspect of how the engine has been treated and serviced in the past. On the mileage front in particular it is quite remarkable how engines removed from cars can seemingly drop a few 10's of thousands of miles in the process as evidenced by checks of MOT history having asked sellers for the registration (to check suitability of fitment).

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club