Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boost Leak Tips?

ChrisPembs

As the title really does anyone have any fantastic tips for chasing down a boost leak no a 1.8tdci? It is not doing it all the time when under proper load it disappears but there is the tell tale whistle :)

Thanks in advance.

1st point of call would be the short 90 degree pipe to the left on the engine as you look at it from the front of the car.  It cracks, usually on the underside and with it being black it's not always easy to spot.  I replaced mine with a silicone hose which was cheaper than a Ford replacement and will outlast the car.

To find my leak I got someone to rev out the car to 3.5K rpm and hold it there whilst I went round the pipework feeling for hot air being blown out from somewhere it shouldn't.  (it didn't take long, although when I removed the pipe I had to clean it before I could see a really thin crack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

1st point of call would be the short 90 degree pipe to the left on the engine as you look at it from the front of the car.  It cracks, usually on the underside and with it being black it's not always easy to spot.  I replaced mine with a silicone hose which was cheaper than a Ford replacement and will outlast the car.

To find my leak I got someone to rev out the car to 3.5K rpm and hold it there whilst I went round the pipework feeling for hot air being blown out from somewhere it shouldn't.  (it didn't take long, although when I removed the pipe I had to clean it before I could see a really thin crack.

Thanks :) I will make that my first place to look, tried to find someone I could lend a smoke machine off but nobody has one locally, no point in buying one the amount of times it will get used. I was wondering about the silicone replacements, they seem like  a better option, thanks :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisPembs said:

Thanks :) I will make that my first place to look, tried to find someone I could lend a smoke machine off but nobody has one locally, no point in buying one the amount of times it will get used. I was wondering about the silicone replacements, they seem like  a better option, thanks :)

No worries mate, keep us all posted

• Thanks 1

Can you point me in the direction of silicon replacement pipes for the 2.0l tdci? I need the pipe to the right which goes down vertically into the T-junction on the metal pipe connecting the exhaust (i presume to dpf) It takes a serious amount of pressure as i wrapped the rip with an inner tube and duct taped the hell out of it for it to now make a firework launch like squeak every time the turbo spools up haha!

1 minute ago, Praada said:

Can you point me in the direction of silicon replacement pipes for the 2.0l tdci? I need the pipe to the right which goes down vertically into the T-junction on the metal pipe connecting the exhaust (i presume to dpf) It takes a serious amount of pressure as i wrapped the rip with an inner tube and duct taped the hell out of it for it to now make a firework launch like squeak every time the turbo spools up haha!

There are some on eBay.

Not having much look tracking my squeak down, just cannot see where it is coming from, mobile mechanic swinging by to figure it out :)

It can only be 1 of 3 pipes from what i can see.  I'm no mechanic though and i'm new to the ford diesel engine after coming from the Honda 2.2 ictdi.  Some of the polish sellers on eBay have the pipe blueprints in the product photographs. The pipe i need is the one on the right not the one marked on the image attached.

cooler hose 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

The 1.8TDCI is a different engine completely to the 2.0TDCi so boost pipes are different.

Just fyi, boost pressure on the 2.0 will be up towards 30psi under load which is why your tape won't hold it lol. :laugh: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

yeah i know mate its remapped too so probably even more, it sounds like a firework as it screams up into the sky hahaha luckily no bang at the end yet and hopefully never hear a bang! I've got a stock replacement for now and will continue the hunt for silicon upgrades wouldn't mind doing the whole engine bay to be honest.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club