Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing my steel Rims

ollieh98

Id like to replace my steel rims with alloy wheels. I'm looking to replace them with Genuine Fiesta alloys and id like to know if they would fit my car. I have a 2013 Fiesta 1.5 TDCI with 15" Steel rims. I would like to know if 17" or 16" alloys would fit my car without the need for any other modifications.

Appreciate any help or advice.

2 hours ago, ollieh98 said:

Id like to replace my steel rims with alloy wheels. I'm looking to replace them with Genuine Fiesta alloys and id like to know if they would fit my car. I have a 2013 Fiesta 1.5 TDCI with 15" Steel rims. I would like to know if 17" or 16" alloys would fit my car without the need for any other modifications.

Appreciate any help or advice.

I know the ST has 17 inch alloys so I don't think you'll have a problem with size. If you're getting aftermarket wheels make sure the studs are the right shape as on the car

2 hours ago, ollieh98 said:

Ford recommends steering limiters when fitting 17" alloys. They are cheap and available from Ford. 

Of course if you Plus 1 or plus 2 size your alloys then you will need to run a lower profile to keep the same or similar rolling diameter.  If you don't then your speedo/odometer will be out.   There's a simple calculator here - https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/

Changing wheels might affect your insurance but is less likely to if you fit wheels that were available as an option for your model car. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Changing from steel wheels to alloys I'd tell your insurance.

I fitted 17inch zetec s alloys instead of my 15 inch alloys that came standard. Got them powder coated black plus 2 new tyres (2 of the tyres that came with them were just legal, other 2 5mm). Total cost- £600. £300 for wheels, £160 powder coating, £140 for two uniroyal rainsport 3's plus the standard conti's fitted and balanced.

You have to be careful with second hand wheels, they might be buckled on the inside, which you might not notice till you get tyres on and they start losing pressure. I know what I'm looking for now, so mine only had very small curbing, which I knew the powder coating would fill without any sanding.

Keep your original wheels if the tyres still have enough tred on them, stick them back on the car when you come to sell. You'll make more money by selling your alloys separate.

• Like 1

Remember if you change to a larger wheel and it results in an overall increase in wheel-tyre circumference, it will reduce acceleration, only slightly, but it does reduce it. On 16 inch, you'll probably be okay as the corresponding decrease in tyre profile will cover the difference. That may be not possible if you move up to a 17 inch.

Not sure what profile tyre you have on your 15's, but if it's 55; to keep a similar circumference you'd need 40 or 45 profile on 16 inch wheels (in both cases affecting speedo by a quite small 1%). On 17 inch wheels, your tyre profile would have to be 30, although the speedo would hardly be affected

It also is likely to reduce your fuel economy; again only by a few percentage points and methinks if you're wanting to buy bigger wheels, looking good is far more important than the few pennies you will save in the fuel tank :biggrin:

If you stick to the Fiesta tyre sizes for each size rim then the speedo doesn't need altering. 17" is 205/40/r17.

Hi,

If you do find you have any issues with insurance for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club