Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car wont crank?

Xxnamxx

Hiya,

I went to the car this morning and started it with our spare key which started fine, sat for a few mins then loads of lights came on the dash, with the engine still running i tried to rev the car but it wouldnt rev at all so i turned the car off and tried to start it with my normal key and it lights up the dash but will not crank at all, the battery is fine and brand new.

My code reader brings up

U0001 and U0073

The imobiliser light code seems to flash slow twice then fast 5 times?

I have removed the battery for 30 mins and reconnected but nothing.

Any ideas? I need it for work tomoz!

Its a Focus MK2 2005 2.0TDCI Titanium

I suspect that your car has the classic instrument cluster problem. 

A search on the forum will give you lots of information about this subject and possible solutions.

Thanks, Any idea if a second hand one will work?

A second hand instrument cluster will work but it is not plug and play. The instrument cluster is part of the PATS (immobilizer) system. When changing the instrument cluster the PATS system needs to be reprogrammed and the instrumetn cluster needs to be configured correctly to match the car's options/settings.

1 hour ago, Xxnamxx said:

Thanks, Any idea if a second hand one will work?

You can send your original away for diagnosis/repair ..... http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/

Edited by Russ
Added link
  • Like 1

U0001- Generic: High Speed CAN Communication Bus.
U0073- Generic: Control Module Communication Bus "A" Off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If it is the cluster issue (and it sounds like it) @Tdci-Peter has excellent guides here on how to fix it yourself if you are decent enough with a soldering iron.

10 hours ago, Xxnamxx said:

My code reader brings up

U0001 and U0073

The imobiliser light code seems to flash slow twice then fast 5 times?

I have removed the battery for 30 mins and reconnected but nothing.

Any ideas? I need it for work tomoz!

It may be a bit late for Monday, now!

You could try tapping the fascia (not hammering in disgust!) around the cluster (IC). When my IC failed, it did work intermittently for a week before going into a total sulk, and it took a couple of days to fix it, as I was had no idea what was wrong, then.

I think two slow flashes then five fast is actually:

Flash, pause, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, pause, Flash, pause, Flash .....

Which is read as code 16, or comms error. Which is what I had.

My repair report is here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

I will follow this thread, if you want to post any info or questions.

• Like 2

My mechanic opened up my IC and fixed the dry joints on the boards, fixed it first time.

Anyone handy with a soldering iron should be able to do this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jon84 said:

My mechanic opened up my IC and fixed the dry joints on the boards, fixed it first time.

Anyone handy with a soldering iron should be able to do this.

Good stuff, glad you got it fixed.

Many thanks for all the information, Unfortunately i am not that brilliant with a soldering iron so have sent it off to this guy. Hopefully this will resolve the issue, not holding out hope that it will fix the rough running when cold though, I have only had the car since august and trying to figure out the problems i have already replaced the

oil Filter and oil

Air FIlter

Fuel Filter

Glow Plugs

battery (Old one was knackered)

Also had to replace two wheel bearings

Purchased the car for £1000 and within two months spent an additional £200 plus on it and its even worse than when i started as i now have the cluster failure.

Not much luck with my first ford, may have to return to Audi one day when i can afford to.

• Sad 1

Thanks everyone for your help it was the cluster, had it repaired by the guy on eBay with a lifetime warranty and the car is ALIVE! however still runs like a bag of £$%# when cold but that is something else i need to figure out (Different Thread).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club