Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator issues

OBIW4N

I have a focus cc 2.0d ... and it needs the alternator replacing.  which i have a friend prepared to help me do... trouble is i dont know which amp rating i need until i take it out... I was really wanting to have the replacement to hand when i take the knackered one out, but obviously i cant order one online to have if i'm not sure which i need.  the local garages i spoke to have been less than helpful in this as well.   hoping someone here knows the answer.-the choices are 120 amp or 150 amp

11 hours ago, OBIW4N said:

I have a focus cc 2.0d ... and it needs the alternator replacing.  which i have a friend prepared to help me do... trouble is i dont know which amp rating i need until i take it out... I was really wanting to have the replacement to hand when i take the knackered one out, but obviously i cant order one online to have if i'm not sure which i need.  the local garages i spoke to have been less than helpful in this as well.   hoping someone here knows the answer.-the choices are 120 amp or 150 amp

The alternator will only produce the number of Amps that your car's systems need and you would always want a bit of spare alternator capacity for December mornings when you might have allsorts running.  Both should physically fit the same, personally I'd get a 150 amp version as it won't really use any more fuel but will give you more electrical "capacity" when/if needed.

Both should physically fit the same, personally I'd get a 150 amp version as it won't really use any more fuel but will give you more electrical "capacity" when/if needed.

I agree fit the biggest one that will ie the 150 amp regardless what you already have .you will notice the difference in the winter. I did this with a MK1 focus and also fitted the biggest capacity battery that would fit, never had a winter  starting issue again. Of course you could just take it to an Auto elec. and have it refurbished by them wile you wait save you all the hassle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club