Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which tyres?

Zico

My 3mm Goodyears probably have more grip than a brand new budget tyre though.

A lot of car advice is aimed at joe public running around in a car that tips on corners, has budget rubber and they have no feel for what the car is doing beneath them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I've just swapped the my 3mm fronts to the back of my ST ready for winter. Now have 6mm at the front.

The only issue I had with the low fronts was clearing standing water.... at the front of the car.

I'm in exactly the same position, want the 2018 Fiesta ST, need to get another 3k or so out of the tyres at most. I'm not paying for new tyres I won't see the benefit of.

Unless you drive like a tool, I really can't see the issue of having lower tread at the back of a front wheel drive car with most of the weight over the front wheels.

Making sure you have your best tyres on the back will favour ‘understeer’ rather than ‘oversteer’ when grip is limited such as in very wet or cold conditions.

• Understeer – the car tends to go straight on even though you’re turning the wheel.
  • Oversteer – the back end breaks free and the car is likely to spin.

Tyres with deeper tread grooves are less likely to puncture too and it's more difficult to control a car with a damaged rear tyre than one with a damaged front tyre.

• Like 1

I know what under and over steer are thanks.

Problem with tread on my car is just clearing standing water. It makes a lot less difference at the back as the wheels are following through a nice "cut" through the water created by the fronts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Don't forget it's other people driving like tools that you also need to consider... :wink:

Your right there.

I remember years ago when i had cars first it was just a tyre so its legal and the cheapest out there,how things change when your older.

There is loads out there that do a load of miles each year but these days there are a nice few now that do no where near 10k not even half.

I would of got away with cheap ones as no motorway or fast roads as long as good stopping in wet/dry.

6 hours ago, MJNewton said:

You'd only get a pair of budget tyres for £100 (or do you mean the £100 saving offsets the difference in price between budget and premium?).

Pair of Dunlops for just over £100 in 205/55/16.  Avon's are a bit cheaper.  Can get a pair of budgets in that size for about £50 if you like risking it lol.

Not wishing to sound confrontational, but I am wondering perhaps if I'm shopping in the right places? I usually use Blackcircles and their cheapest Dunlop comes in at £125/pr?

Blackcircles aren't even close to cheapest any more.  Even camskill aren't particularly cheap now.

Formula one Autocentres are always cheaper...they also have regular discount codes.  Prices fluctuate of course but I nearly ordered a pair of Dunlop sport bluresponse in the size above a couple of weeks ago for £104 the pair fully fitted.  I would've also used topcashback to get some more money back as well.  Yes I'm tight. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tom - I'll check them out next time. I must admit I have always felt bad buying through Blackcircles as I imagined the garage fitting the tyres were barely getting anything (certainly compared to buying direct through them) but then I'm tight too (Northener you see!) and so was happy to do it - I might've just assumed they were cheap as the business model ought to make them so. I must admit I also like the range and being able to browse/compare/shop at leisure. 

Mate of mine recommended me to Formula one Autocentres.   He swears by them and won't go anywhere else.

• Like 2

Currently running my second set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 on 205/40r17. Not the cheapest at £80 per corner inc fitting/valve/old tyre disposal/vat. But not far off the very premium brands in terms of fuel economy and handling/grip etc. (which were a bit out of my budget at around £110 per corner)

The hankooks wear well (I usually swap them front to back to ensure all four will be replaced at the same time). They seem a bit quieter than the original conti's (conti's are apparently meant to be a much more fuel efficient tyre but I've never noticed a difference in mpg, however slight) and I don't drive particularly quick but have no issues with grip in the wet etc. A good all rounder.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, iantt said:

scary thing is a minibus with more than 8 passenger seats can legally have a minimum of 1mm

Yeah it’s the same on lorry’s Ian. Shocking really as it’s a bigger vehicle and more weights involved. Tbf it’s probaby to do wth the weight because it holds the grip down rather then cars having not as much weight

13 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Thanks Tom - I'll check them out next time. I must admit I have always felt bad buying through Blackcircles as I imagined the garage fitting the tyres were barely getting anything (certainly compared to buying direct through them) but then I'm tight too (Northener you see!) and so was happy to do it - I might've just assumed they were cheap as the business model ought to make them so. I must admit I also like the range and being able to browse/compare/shop at leisure. 

No problem, they sell a decent range and the layout is similar to blackcircles - https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/  What you have to remember with places like blackcircles is that they have huge warehouses so can buy tyres in huge quantities making their unit price a lot cheaper than an indy garage can buy for.  Same principle as supermarkets vs corner shops.

It's kind of annoying they're so cheap at F1...I've taken two different cars there in the last year for their stupidly cheap MOTs, both passed but got advisories for tyres, my Focus got advisories for all 4 near legal limit at edges...seemed a bit over zealous to me and as if they were trying to push a sale so didn't want to buy the tyres there when I decided they needed changing...but there just isn't anywhere cheaper, I can't even buy the tyres online for delivery and have them fitted at a local indy for less!

Admittedly that's probably just me being awkward, and I will buy them there eventually, may even be with another stupidly cheap MOT in January lol.  I have bought there before and can't fault their work at all, took care when I had a brand new alloy and are one of the few places that can set tracking correctly around here.  Obviously it's a franchise so your local one may not be as good as mine, but I can't say I've heard anything bad about the company.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Blackcircles aren't even close to cheapest any more.  Even camskill aren't particularly cheap now.

Formula one Autocentres are always cheaper...they also have regular discount codes.  Prices fluctuate of course but I nearly ordered a pair of Dunlop sport bluresponse in the size above a couple of weeks ago for £104 the pair fully fitted.  I would've also used topcashback to get some more money back as well.  Yes I'm tight. :biggrin:

You are right here,i got £20 cheaper the pair than Blackcircles.

I've been eyeing up conti premium 6 - anyone used them? 

Successor to both sport and premium 5 and seems around 100/corner. 

On 06/10/2017 at 11:00 AM, alexp999 said:

I've just swapped the my 3mm fronts to the back of my ST ready for winter. Now have 6mm at the front.

The only issue I had with the low fronts was clearing standing water.... at the front of the car.

I'm in exactly the same position, want the 2018 Fiesta ST, need to get another 3k or so out of the tyres at most. I'm not paying for new tyres I won't see the benefit of.

Unless you drive like a tool, I really can't see the issue of having lower tread at the back of a front wheel drive car with most of the weight over the front wheels.

Aqua planing is the issue with this matey

14 minutes ago, Rossyboi93 said:

Aqua planing is the issue with this matey

Precisely why I swapped them over.

Thanks for the of the replies. I'm going to stick as is for the time being. I tend to drive at a comfortable pace with the occasional hoon moment. If it means that I drive like miss daisy over the next few months then so be it. Hopefully the southern winter won't be that bad and I can make things last. If I start to noticeably feel less fixed to the road then I will change the tyres.

As for the F1Autocentres being cheap, the local indy garage I quoted from earlier is still a few quid cheaper on some tyres (Uniroyal were one).

• 2 months later...
On 03/10/2017 at 10:05 PM, Bobr said:

I have the Uniroyal Rainsport 3.   Drove back from Scotland to Nottingham in heavy rain on Sunday last and they're brilliant.

I can now report that they are very good in snow too.

• Like 2

I can also say my new Bridgestones on the front work well.

Then again snow in the tread its like having slicks on anyway so i don't think anyone work well in thick snow.

Got an unrepairable puncture in one of the Uniroyals today.   Can't get a replacement 'till Wednesday.   2 days.

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

Got an unrepairable puncture in one of the Uniroyals today.   Can't get a replacement 'till Wednesday.   2 days.

that's depends on what you define as irreparable.. 

13726571_10205597772698362_474653159937292711_n.jpg

19105980_10154739578011342_6135688773963613472_n.jpg

21150205_1570898726266957_7349831619910360813_n.jpg

21740463_281085705740033_6056532350242052834_n.jpg

21761713_281085719073365_7192447390742216289_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For my Fiesta tyres: 
I am going to front to back mine soon when the fronts get to 3mm in a couple of thousand miles (the rears look nearly new!). This way they wear down quite evenly and I can change all 4 at once.
When they eventually wear down enough to warrant replacing, I will change them to Bridgestone Turanza T001 Evo. Had those tyres before, a great set in the wet and dry. Loses out a bit on fuel economy though :/

In terms of tread depth, my old focus' fronts are on the legal limit right now and I have barely noticed a change in performance or fuel economy.
However, when there is standing water I do notice aquaplaning occurs much more easily (especially when aiming for the puddles by the bus stops :wink:).

Also, based on Sod's Law... you'll change them to new ones and immediately get a nail in them, guaranteed. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, iantt said:

All your handy work then Stef?

Some of it mate :lol: 

its my speciality doing sidewall repairs.

On a serious note, I've not had a puncture repair I've done come back yet lol

• Haha 1

Some of it mate :lol: 
its my speciality doing sidewall repairs.
On a serious note, I've not had a puncture repair I've done come back yet lol

Because they crashed when there tyres blew out? Lol
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club