Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated windscreen

NeilRS

Sorry ifvakrwady covered-.but which button is the heated front screen? 

E11F3F77-1117-439E-B685-861A59FC57CE.jpeg

Thank you. What’s the one above the heated rear screen? Is that just to send air from the vents to the front screen? And the one above that to put everything on maximum? 

Not the most intuitive design I’ve ever seen! 

No, heated windscreen is on the right, 2nd one down, between A/C and recirc. It has tiny elements in the glass which heat up, like the rear windscreen.

The button on the left,  3rd down sends air to the front screen and 2nd on the left normally turns up heat to max, both heated screens on and A/C to try and demist the fastest.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread.

The heated windscreen does not seem to do anything quicker than normal or do I have a problem.

I have had cars in the past with a Heated windscreen and it works quite fast and you see it working well.

However, I used the Edge heated windscreen the other day and it didn't do anything.

I had to wait ages for the full blowers to clear the screen instead

29 minutes ago, PeterBfd said:

Sorry to revive such an old thread.

The heated windscreen does not seem to do anything quicker than normal or do I have a problem.

I have had cars in the past with a Heated windscreen and it works quite fast and you see it working well.

However, I used the Edge heated windscreen the other day and it didn't do anything.

I had to wait ages for the full blowers to clear the screen instead

The QuickClear front screen is designed to be used in frosty conditions, where the heated elements melt the frost on the outside of the windscreen. There is no substitute for using the heater blower / demister for normal screen clearing. In fact if you put your settings to windscreen, it will automatically apply full blower and switch on the aircon to dry the windscreen of any moisture and clear it. 

In my experience, the heated screen on its own, other than in frosty conditions, had limited effect. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ian.

The last Ford I had with a heated windscreen was an old Ford Cougar.

It was super quick and did a great job very fast.

Think I was just expecting the same or even better as the Cougar was a long time ago and assumed things would have got even better by now.

Hi PeterBfd

I have had Ford cars for the last 18 years, all with heated front screens, and every one apart from my last Ford Galaxy worked fine

The Galaxy in question (2016 reg) had intermittent problems with the heated front screen, where it would work one day, but then not work again for days or weeks on end

The light would come on to say the heated screen was turned on, but no demisting or clearing of ice

The Ford dealer initially said it was a battery problem, as the battery needs to be 80% + charged for the Heated screen to work

I eventually bought a new battery from the dealer and they fitted it, however the screen still would not "fire up" every time it was switched on

This went on for nearly two years, then the car got to 3 years old, and of course it would be out of warranty, so everything chargeable.

Traded it in for the Ford Edge, and now the heated screen is fine

The screen problem also affected the start/stop feature on the car

When the heated screen was working so was the start/stop, but when not, the start/stop did not activate

Never got to the bottom of the problem, the dealer had the car for days on end to test it, and they couldn't fix it either so did the sensible thing and got rid.

Unfortunately you may be in the same scenario! 

My wifes 2011 Fiesta has heated screen and has always cleared the windscreen much faster than my Edge. Just always assumed it was different design and not as good on the Edge.

Don't forget the Edge has double acoustic laminated glass and I have noticed that the heating element in the edge is not a big as it was in my Kuga. It takes about 2 or 3 minutes for it to warm up (frost and ice seem to clear/melt quicker than it takes to demist using just the heated screen), but works ok.

• Thanks 2

I seam to be having the same problem with my Edge.

Just doesent want to clear at all where as my old 65 plate kuga was so quick.

But Davewill5 mentioned the battery issue since i got my car in september the stop start hasnt worked so i might give the battery a good charge because it only get used for short jerourneys.

Good information all, I too do short journeys (what with working from home now due to the current situation).

I may give the battery a charge and see what happens.

My Start/Stop has rarely worked also.

4 hours ago, PeterBfd said:

Good information all, I too do short journeys (what with working from home now due to the current situation).

I may give the battery a charge and see what happens.

My Start/Stop has rarely worked also.

I might be wrong here, but it seems to me that 90% of the faults that people are blaming the battery for are down to the monitoring system (BMS), especially on the later models, ie nothing at all wrong with the battery, it's just that the car "thinks" it needs charging. Hence it cuts out the high loads, stop / start, heated elements etc. I would try resetting the BMS to start with, there are plenty of threads already on this. I think this will solve the problem in the majority of cases.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dont know if anyone needs to do a BMS reset as suggested above, to fix the start/stop and/or heated front screen not working problems..

But if so just found this post from America which is quite good for information

Method #1 or Method #2 at the bottom of the page may be useful info..

https://moundalexis.com/v2/2020/08/06/ford-bms.html

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club