Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ignition power

zain611

Hey everyone I just done most of the reversing camera wiring and put in the mirror with the monitor. One thing I want to ask is where can I wire the monitor in so when I put the ignition on the mirror gets supplied with volts. I'd rather not let it getting power all the time and wasting battery power. The previous owner installed a USB charger in the car which is always getting power so this would also help. 

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

I used the windscreen wiper from the fuse box as ignition power. I'd have thought you could've just shared the same source as you dashcam?

• Thanks 1

Hey Luke, thanks for the info. For the dash cam I'd rather have it be that it's on all the time just in case someone hits my car whilst it's parked it'll still be recording. The cigarette switch is on all the time so could just wire that in with the dash cam. 

Think the cigarette lighter socket goes off after 30min according to the manual

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ToXIcG said:

Which reversing camera are you using here?

The mirror has a built-in monitor which will get video feed from the camera. By the looks of it the monitor needs a power supply so want to wire it in somewhere where it will be getting power as soon the ignition and engine is on. The monitor will come on when reverse gear is engaged

Thanks for the replies. Is there an ignition fuse and could this be wired to to get power when ignition is on. 

13 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Think the cigarette lighter socket goes off after 30min according to the manual

Hmm okay. Could then see where the USB charger is wired into and could just wire it into the cigarette lighter. The USB charger emits a blue light so that obviously shows it's always getting power. 

DSC_0068.JPG

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

The mirror has a built-in monitor which will get video feed from the camera. By the looks of it the monitor needs a power supply so want to wire it in somewhere where it will be getting power as soon the ignition and engine is on. The monitor will come on when reverse gear is engaged

Thanks for the replies. Is there an ignition fuse and could this be wired to to get power when ignition is on. 

Im just guessing this is an aftermarket mirror and camera reversing system and if so im wondering which one it is. :)

42 minutes ago, ToXIcG said:

Im just guessing this is an aftermarket mirror and camera reversing system and if so im wondering which one it is. :)

Oh sorry toxic, misread your last message. This is the rear view mirror I bought with the screen. Best thing is you can get it with a bracket which will slot over the factory fitting not that the mirror goes over the original mirror. 

Mirror with monitor

Also took a picture to show. People would think it's factory. 

DSC_0069.JPG

This is the camera I bought. I wanted it that you can adjust it so I can just about see the bumper giving me a reference point. 

Reverse camera

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have any other way of finding power which comes when the ignition is on. Opening things up atm. I think the cigarette switch is on all the time as I found the USB charger was wired in with it and that's always drawing current. 

The fuse for the rear wiper is a good switched source to tap off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dad managed to find a fuse which gets power when ignition is on. Managed to get both the USB charger and mirror monitor wired into that. Today I noticed my high level brake light wasn't working which worried me as I thought I had to open up the tailgate and check the camera wiring. Took the brake light out, checked for any power.... Power was coming through. Changed the bulb..... Sorted the problem. 

Does anyone know the fitting for the high level brake light as I might just put an LED bulb in as the standard bulb isn't keeping up with the fast led tail light brake light. By the looks of it it is the same fitting as the reverse lights. 

Thanks for everyones help finally wired in the dash cam, mirror and USB charger. 

DSC_0072.JPG

How do you like this mirror and reversing camera, are they good quality?

Looking into getting one myself.

It's okay. I've seen some reviews saying the mirror vibrates when driving. For me I do see a slight vibration sometimes but it doesn't bother me. There's a screw you can screw into the bracket to help secure it more. The mirror is a little tinted compared to the factory mirror and I noticed when driving through an unlit area in the night (I drove in my alley way to my garage) I couldn't see anything when looking through the mirror. This may of not helped with the cars tinted rear windows.  As for the camera it does give good quality picture for the price. I wouldn't complain with it. Overall it's a good upgrade, this is the second time I've driven to uni with it and it's helped me when parking in tight places. Today I've noticed I sometimes get radio interference; need to see what is causing it. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, zain611 said:

It's okay. I've seen some reviews saying the mirror vibrates when driving. For me I do see a slight vibration sometimes but it doesn't bother me. There's a screw you can screw into the bracket to help secure it more. The mirror is a little tinted compared to the factory mirror and I noticed when driving through an unlit area in the night (I drove in my alley way to my garage) I couldn't see anything when looking through the mirror. This may of not helped with the cars tinted rear windows.  As for the camera it does give good quality picture for the price. I wouldn't complain with it. Overall it's a good upgrade, this is the second time I've driven to uni with it and it's helped me when parking in tight places. Today I've noticed I sometimes get radio interference; need to see what is causing it. 

Let us know if you figure out the interference. :)

Today when I parked up on the driveway and went into reverse I noticed the interference but when i put the car in reverse again when I was in the driveway there was no inference. Not long ago I put the ignition on, turned the radio on, no interference, put the in reverse, no interference. I pressed the brakes to see if the LED brake lights might be causing it, still no interference. It's a little odd or I could of been in a spot where there wasn't good radio signal