Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 diesel wet belt conversion?

sharkyd76

hi all ive got a 57 plate mondeo 1.8 tdci titanium x estate and its due a timing belt due to age. ford tell me it has a wet belt not a chain.

just wondering if any of you know of a conversion from wet belt to chain and rough cost?

If I recall correctly: it has two belts so replacing the lower one with a chain won't do away with the need to replace the upper belt at a later date. I accept that the upper one is less work. If you replace both belts now, realistically will it ever need doing again? will you still own the car when it's next due or will the car still be alive by then?

I think this engine type was previously made with a lower chain before Ford switched to welt belt so I assume a chain, 2 chain sprockets and chain tensioner are available. I don't know if it's a straight swap of parts or if ford changed anything else at the same time.

cool thanks.i hear what your saying about the car not surviving to have it done again, im just very sceptical about a rubber belt running in hot oil!!

i had seen that conversion kit online but wasnt sure if anybody had done it?

when I was looking yesterday I think there were some youtube videos. from googling it, it seemed that general view was the belt in oil was fine as long as it was the correct oil, did not have any additives added by the user and no dpf (as failed dpf regeneration causes diesel fuel to pollute the oil).  I do not know if your model/year had dpf

17 hours ago, isetta said:

when I was looking yesterday I think there were some youtube videos. from googling it, it seemed that general view was the belt in oil was fine as long as it was the correct oil, did not have any additives added by the user and no dpf (as failed dpf regeneration causes diesel fuel to pollute the oil).  I do not know if your model/year had dpf

No DPF because he's got a 1.8 TDCi (Lynx) engine.

There is an artical in Septembers issue in car mechanics magazine about this conversion, according to the artical its a straight forward conversion. The conversion in the artical was carried out by www.tlcford.co.uk

grest info thanks will track down a copy of the magazine and have a read

• 3 weeks later...

decided to just change the wet belt for another wet belt as i probably wont have the car for another 10 years!

local ford dealer quoted £830 just as a reference for anybody else with this set up on their mondeo.

had the wet belt done today at the independant garage i work at. just a heads up its taken all day so major job can see why ford quoted £830!!!!

my mondeo has only done 82000 but is a few months under 10 years old and the wet belt is hanging to use a technical term!!! deep cracks all round the outside of the belt and signs of cracks on the toothed side also

further update. after the belts have been replaced the car now wont fire up. engine was all locked up using the correct locking pins/bars.

turns over ok just wont fire. there didnt seem to be any timing tools for the fuel pump has anyone had experience of this issue?

when i did my fiesta 1.6tdci there was a timing alignment for the fuel pump (sliding a pin through a hole in the pulley into a hole behind the pulley). But I don't understand why it has that. the pump just provides a constant high pressure of fuel to the electronic injectors. I can't see why it has to be synchronised in any way

update, the camshaft sensor wasnt plugged back in properly!! car runs sweet as a nut now!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club