Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 brake pedal clunk?

Richdot

2 minutes ago, Richdot said:

Ok mate thanks I will get somebody to plug in then and record any idea what the readings should be from the sensors? 

Off the top of my head I can't remember what "units" the sensors measure in, basically they should all be pretty much reading the same values at the same time with no interruptions whilst your car is moving.  I can't see all 4 being faulty so if the garage either record the telemetry or are actively comparing the 4 sensor values at the same time they should easily be able to see if something is wrong.

1 minute ago, 1979Damian said:

Off the top of my head I can't remember what "units" the sensors measure in, basically they should all be pretty much reading the same values at the same time with no interruptions whilst your car is moving.  I can't see all 4 being faulty so if the garage either record the telemetry or are actively comparing the 4 sensor values at the same time they should easily be able to see if something is wrong.

Yeah all 4 should like you say read the same / similar  ... will look into it thanks for your help 

Just now, Richdot said:

Yeah all 4 should like you say read the same / similar  ... will look into it thanks for your help 

No worries mate, be sure to post back with how you get on (either way).

6 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

No worries mate, be sure to post back with how you get on (either way).

Will do mate thanks 

The wheel speed sensors should all be reading similar (bearing in mind if you turn a corner the inner wheels will read lower - hence why it possibly sets it off longer when turning a corner when it is doing the startup test).

Mine does this, too. 17" zetec wheels running about 33 all round. I've had the car 7 years and it has become more frequent in the last few years.
I can pretty much get it to happen on the same sections of road consistently.
I've got some canbus diagnostic tools and have read each wheel abs speed and the reference speed off the canbus and the readings are steady during the events. Perhaps it's the yaw sensor or steering wheel position?
Friend of mine said Ford were testing cars at Mira or similar years ago due to the ESP being too sensitive but I've never heard of a software update for it.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:30 PM, briscaF1 said:

Mine does this, too. 17" zetec wheels running about 33 all round. I've had the car 7 years and it has become more frequent in the last few years.
I can pretty much get it to happen on the same sections of road consistently.
I've got some canbus diagnostic tools and have read each wheel abs speed and the reference speed off the canbus and the readings are steady during the events. Perhaps it's the yaw sensor or steering wheel position?
Friend of mine said Ford were testing cars at Mira or similar years ago due to the ESP being too sensitive but I've never heard of a software update for it.

Sounds like I might be wasting my time with testing the abs sensors then. Has anyone actually got to the bottom of it then as since this thread even though it seems quite common its not really been spoken about before? 

I have found that lowering the tyre pressures on my focus to 30 psi improves the ride quality loads.  I am running 17 inch wheels,  however I have found that at motorway speeds the car doesn't seem as stable.  I have found that 32 psi is a good compromise between comfort and stability.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:50 AM, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

I have found that lowering the tyre pressures on my focus to 30 psi improves the ride quality loads.  I am running 17 inch wheels,  however I have found that at motorway speeds the car doesn't seem as stable.  I have found that 32 psi is a good compromise between comfort and stability.

The ride quality is fine its the brake pedal clunk thats annoying. It seems a few on here have it still not cured it, I will take alook at the abs sensors see if anything is at fault. not getting any codes up on the dashboard due to abs or esp though.

13 hours ago, Richdot said:

The ride quality is fine its the brake pedal clunk thats annoying. It seems a few on here have it still not cured it, I will take alook at the abs sensors see if anything is at fault. not getting any codes up on the dashboard due to abs or esp though.

I haven't cured it as I have taken it to be a normal functioning of the system. It's been that way since I bought the car, and the only abnormal finding i found is that my steering angle sensor is off by 4 degrees. The ABS and ESP function correctly as demonstrated having a play in the snow. The abs and ESP systems will have plenty of safeguards in place as a safety critical component, so should not hesitate to throw a code if something was wrong.

Check all your suspension for extra play or wear, but unless it's doing it excessively I would just accept it as normal outside of any malfunctioning.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2017 at 12:44 AM, Micro said:

I haven't cured it as I have taken it to be a normal functioning of the system. It's been that way since I bought the car, and the only abnormal finding i found is that my steering angle sensor is off by 4 degrees. The ABS and ESP function correctly as demonstrated having a play in the snow. The abs and ESP systems will have plenty of safeguards in place as a safety critical component, so should not hesitate to throw a code if something was wrong.

Check all your suspension for extra play or wear, but unless it's doing it excessively I would just accept it as normal outside of any malfunctioning.

Yeah you are right mate, MOT soon I will take it to a strict fussy place which I know will go right over the lot so if theres any problems suspension side of things they will be sure to flag it up!