Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front suspension problems - MK7

Mark M.K

Hi all,

Yet another problem with my little baby fiesta. This time its the suspension! (it just gets better eh?)

The problem: A very loud knocking/crunching noise every time the car goes over speed ramps at any speed, be 5 mph or 15mph. More speed means its a louder noise! Before anybody says that i've hit a curb or something, i have not. The car has stayed well away from any curbs and this is backed up by no damage to alloy wheels.

Had ford look at it and they think it needs to have the whole front suspension replaced :huh::unsure: The car can still be driven and its going back on Wendsday when a tech from Ford is there to assess the damage....will update on Wendsday.

UPDATE

Ford have said the left hand suspesion needs parts replacing. They ran a list of parts it needed, but i lost track after the first 10 or so items. Good for a car which is only 12 months old.... :rolleyes:

My front suspension arms are really creaky at the moment. Waiting for the 1st service in March, to let them know. Along with rattling A-Pillar trim, and squeakly clutch pedal.

My front suspension arms are really creaky at the moment. Waiting for the 1st service in March, to let them know. Along with rattling A-Pillar trim, and squeakly clutch pedal.

you will need to get that trim done before its a year old otherwise they won't change it under warranty

UPDATE

Ford have said the left hand suspesion needs parts replacing. They ran a list of parts it needed, but i lost track after the first 10 or so items. Good for a car which is only 12 months old.... :rolleyes:

Mark.

I also live in Milton Keynes and have the same similar problem my wife’s MK7 1.6 TDCI Zetec. it creaks like hell whenever we go over these dreaded humps that are all over the estates in MK, it too is just over 12months old, and only done 3.5k miles, I have checked all the under wheel arch mouldings exhaust mounting rubbers/brackets and cannot pin point it. Please let me know how you get on with solving yours. or any other things I could check. :huh:

I'd say take it down to the dealer and get them to look at it. Mine is going back on Thursday to get the parts replaced so will see if this fixes the problems or not.

Hi all,

Yet another problem with my little baby fiesta. This time its the suspension! (it just gets better eh?)

The problem: A very loud knocking/crunching noise every time the car goes over speed ramps at any speed, be 5 mph or 15mph. More speed means its a louder noise! Before anybody says that i've hit a curb or something, i have not. The car has stayed well away from any curbs and this is backed up by no damage to alloy wheels.

Had ford look at it and they think it needs to have the whole front suspension replaced :huh::unsure: The car can still be driven and its going back on Wendsday when a tech from Ford is there to assess the damage....will update on Wendsday.

I've sent my car in for the same problem, i'm currently waiting for their verdict. mine also crunches when i turn whilst stationary. I've only done 11K miles and the car seems to be falling appart :(

Interesting....this seems to be a much wider problem than i first thought. I would advise anybody with a 58 or 09 plate to check for loud noises when going over speed ramps. If left alone, i hate to think what could happen... :unsure:

you will need to get that trim done before its a year old otherwise they won't change it under warranty

Thnaks for that zetecred89, I didn't realise trim had a 12 month restriction. I may as well get it booked in ASAP.

My 58 plate has had this problem for nearly a year now. Been in the garage twice and they've "greased" up parts of the suspension (sorry it's not very technical) and that cured the problem for a short time.

Unfortunately I then had an arguement with a pot hole last week & the noise from the passenger side suspension when going over any size speed hump is a horrid crunching/grinding noise. It's going back to the garage tomorrow to get checked out.

My 58 plate has had this problem for nearly a year now. Been in the garage twice and they've "greased" up parts of the suspension (sorry it's not very technical) and that cured the problem for a short time.

Unfortunately I then had an arguement with a pot hole last week & the noise from the passenger side suspension when going over any size speed hump is a horrid crunching/grinding noise. It's going back to the garage tomorrow to get checked out.

Mine's been back to the garage twice and they still have not properly diagnosed the problem.

What they recommended i do is come back to them when it gets worse :S

Mine's been back to the garage twice and they still have not properly diagnosed the problem.

What they recommended i do is come back to them when it gets worse :S

:huh: Thats not very good! What if the whole thing disintegrates at motorway cruising speed? You'll be a gonner :blink:

Well I went back to the gargage this morning and supposedly I have a dry bush :blink:

It's going back in next week for them to rectify it and have another look. The thing I don't get is why I've had this done 3 times in just over a year's ownership. Is it a manufacturing or design issue?

Well I went back to the gargage this morning and supposedly I have a dry bush :blink:

It's going back in next week for them to rectify it and have another look. The thing I don't get is why I've had this done 3 times in just over a year's ownership. Is it a manufacturing or design issue?

It could be either. No problems on my car yet so maybe it's a manufacturing issue. But then it could also be a design issue affecting earlier builds that has been rectified over the months, although that would mean that it affects all Fiestas of a certain age, and there aren't that many people with issues yet.... who knows...

The worrying thing is that all of the problems that people are having with their Mk7's seem to be complete unknowns. Like Ford cant seem to ever work out what the problem is, yet the problems are affecting many cars. It seems like it's taken a year just to work out why some of the cars are leaking water, and we still dont even know if thats a proper fix yet.

In the mean time, everyone who is yet to have any problems with their cars can sleep safe in the knowledge that when their cars start having issues, Ford wont have a clue how to fix them. Isn't that great? :blink:

Hi all,

Hi all,

Im new to this site and have just been reading your problems with the front suspension which sounds the same as mine. I have a new ZetecS which has only done 3k.

I noticed a loud knocking/crunching noise aswell as a creaking noise from what seemed to be coming from the n/s front suspension when going over quite harsh speed bumps. The type of speed hump you find in a super market car park. The sound is quite concerning as it sounds almost like something is about to drop off underneath, although when checking the car over it all looks ok. Im hoping its just some kind of plastic sheild moving as the car flexs over a harsh speed hump and sounds worse than it really is but, still its a bit concerning for a new car.

The strange thing is under normal driving conditions and even going over normal speed humps carefully the car doesnt make any noise.

I dont really want to have to have some muppet at Ford's say it needs suspension parts and start fitting bits willy nilly.

I would be interested to hear of anyone else who has experianced a simlar issue and if they have had it rectified by Fords.

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi all,

Im new to this site and have just been reading your problems with the front suspension which sounds the same as mine. I have a new ZetecS which has only done 3k.

I noticed a loud knocking/crunching noise aswell as a creaking noise from what seemed to be coming from the n/s front suspension when going over quite harsh speed bumps. The type of speed hump you find in a super market car park. The sound is quite concerning as it sounds almost like something is about to drop off underneath, although when checking the car over it all looks ok. Im hoping its just some kind of plastic sheild moving as the car flexs over a harsh speed hump and sounds worse than it really is but, still its a bit concerning for a new car.

The strange thing is under normal driving conditions and even going over normal speed humps carefully the car doesnt make any noise.

I dont really want to have to have some muppet at Ford's say it needs suspension parts and start fitting bits willy nilly.

I would be interested to hear of anyone else who has experianced a simlar issue and if they have had it rectified by Fords.

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi,

I am new to this site to and thought i'd join after having my 7th problem with my 09 1.4 petrol titanium fiesta. I have had everything happen from a faulty stereo to the dreaded internal leaking due to the faulty seal on the A pillar on the offside, this resulted in the whole carpet and some other electrical bits needing replacing.

My car is currently back in today having both suspension arms replaced on the front, apparently they were faulty, I didnt even get an argument from the dealer when I took it in due to the strange creaking it made going over speed bumps. My advice is to get it checked, there are quite a few common issues with the fiesta and the dealer will check it out for you under warranty. Also its worth while contacting ford customer relations to start a log of the faults, this way they may give you a "good will" gesture. The fiesta is a great little car and I love mine dont get me wrong, but it has been nothing but trouble. My friend has the Zetec S model and has again had a range of faults from the front windscreen coming loose to the passenger door breaking. I get the impression the Quality control person took the week off when they built our cars!

Good luck with the suspension let me know how it goes.

Ben

My suspension problem has been fixed. Ford replaced both suspension arms, and that seems to of fixed the problem for now......

It's interesting that 2 of you have had the suspension arms replaced.

My car was back in the garage yesterday and they have now acknowledged that there is a problem. They've greased up every rubber part on the suspension & it's still making the noise over speed humps, they even compared it with another Fiesta.

It's going back again next week for them to have yet another look & I think I'll mention about the suspension arms.

• 1 year later...

hi guys old thread i know but does anyone know if any more came of this? I have a similar issue at the moment where the car rattles over small bumps in teh road and clunks over speed humps and vibrates really bad in reverse if the car is full/heavy or I reverse quickly.

Ford have said yes we can hear them both but we don't waht it is - come back if it gets worse and that all fiesta's do this?

• 8 months later...

Mine brand new fiesta (one month old) just started creaking from the front left suspension tonight coming home over some speed bumps.

Bit concerned - the car has only done 400 odd miles ! Gonna take it up the dealer tomorrow and have a moan. Was going in for the passenger seat anyway so might as well see what they can do for that.

Mark did the replacement arms fix it ? Im thinking with the car being so new they'd have fitted the upgraded parts if there were any so I'm guessing this is just a design flaw that hasn't been fixed. Not sure.

hi i have a 59 plate 1.4 titanium and i had the same problem took it back to fords and they replaced front suspension no questions asked

i have the same problem in my 1.25 zetec 11 plate. ive had it in 3 times now and they have replaced both shocker tops and you can still hear the creaking its off back in next week for a 4th time to get it sorted do you think a full replacement of the shocks will solve it? thanks

• 7 months later...

Greetings from Africa, got a 2011 1.4 fiesta with the same knocking issue, not really what I would expect from a 1 year old vehicle, definitly going back to the dealer ASAP... Haven't really noticed any of this creaking or crunching that you're describing, hopefully that wont rear its head at all.

Anybody else from South Africa had this issue?

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have a 12 plate zetec s which has just done this on way home from work.

Thought front wheels had come off.

Only done 2000 miles so should I take it to the garage and complain.

Want some new illuminated door sills u reckon they'll throw them in. Haha

hi guys mine is a 10 plate zs had similar problems myself for the harsh noise over speed bumps i had my anti roll bushes changed cant hear nothing now and as for the creaky steering i had a new top strut put on now no creaky steering had quite a few probs not good hey ive got prob with my clutch as im changin from 1st to 2nd bringin out the clutch pedal can hear like a chirpin noise or weird cant explain took it in and they couldnt really hear it never can can they lol so im just seein how it goes really my warranty ends june so need it sortin before then seems worse when the car is cold odd one anybody else had this ?? x

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club