Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus mk2 coolant leak

madman

Hello

I have a ford focus mk2 1.6 ti vct couple days ago I decided to change my oil upon that I noticed my coolant level was low below minimum level roughly halfway from empty to minimum so i grabbed a kettle filled it up to maximum Mark.

Today the levels now back to halfway way between empty and that minimum mark. I drove it back just 4 miles and that water was gone.

I just had put 2 pints water in my focus tonight at half 11.

I can't see no puddles on my driveway which is weird, where is water going to tho. The sump area where meet gearbox looks wet.

The car only done 72 thousand I've had timing belt done but garage said water pump didn't need doing

Please please any ideas why losing this water?.

Thank you to everyone

They just find their own levels! Ridiculous I know, but we have 5 mark 2.5 at work and they all sit below the minimum.

I had my 2009 a week and panicked when the coolant was below minimum, topped it up and the next day it had dropped again, but it never dropped any further.

Ford dealer replaced the cap a couple of years ago and it sits just a little higher now. There are several threads on it.

try a new cap /Keep your eye on it.

Can airlock cause this?.

What's the common faults on focus mk2 losing water?.

I found my sump/gearbox wet and the radiator cap had small bit white like limescale

Been out my focus had running for ages.

Looking in front of focus the left hand pipe bout 3 inches in diameter from rad is cold, looking in front of the car again the right hand side from rad pipe bout 3 inches in diameter is hot.

Is this normal?.

Update please anyone

Just found my driver's footwell soaking wet under carpet. Was bit damp on top.

Anyone please

Heater matrix or pipes to it...  It's often just an o ring in the pipe joint that breaks I think!

• Like 1

Does sound like heater pipes, there's a thread here about it.

Thank you

I put a towel under the carpet much as I can with my hand drivers side and it came back pink.

Managed get my head near there 2 silver pipes coming in one was weeping.

Are they big job and how long.

Does look like a o ring on metal pipe

Are the possible to do yourself

One of the silver pipes has a tiny black clip around it found it leaking from there.

It was wet around plastic and stinks of anti freeze.

This a easy job?

As the others have said sound like matrix the thread linked will help.

Just wanted to mention though, I am presuming you are putting water in as you have a leak, good idea to make sure you use the correct anti freeze mix once fixed, using just water long term is begging for more issues.

Had look today this seems to be what's happening

Ford focus mk2 wet drivers side footwell is pink coolant.

With Heater setting direction to pointing down to feet and face with temperature set to hot, fan speed on four running for 5 mins no water

With Heater setting direction to pointing down to feet and face with temperature set to cold, fan speed on four running for 5 mins, no water on footwell

With Heater setting direction to pointing up to windscreen with temperature set to cold, and also hot, fan speed on four running for 5 mins, water on footwell after 5 mins running

The water looks to be coming from above the 2 silver pipes so what's up there above clutch and from the left side of drivers footwell on side of centre console

A replacement O-Ring is cheap from Ford but it's a fiddly nightmare trying to get the pipes pushed back together to get the locking clip on once a new o-ring/seal has been installed.  The article linked earlier gives an excellent guide as to how to tackle the job yourself.

Thanks to all.

I just drove less then 2 miles and bottles empty.

Left hand side of clutch pedal in centre console pouring out of water.

This o ring or heater matrix.

It's very rare of the heater matrix itself to "fail", 9 out of 10 times (if not more) it's the sodding O-Rings! :wallbash:

Thanks to everyone that helped.

Had garage check it out on pressure test and it was o rings water was running down the pipe into centre console. Poped up fords two o'rings and 2 clips was 18 pound. Went back to garage he did them for 50 quid booked in hours labour.

• Thanks 1