Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EcoBoost degas hose question

Pebbleheed

I’ve bought a used mk3 1.0 EcoBoost focus from a private seller. It’s a 2013 62 plate, manufactured in 2012. I’m worried about the engine dying after reading reports online. 

How Can I check if my hose has been fixed to avoid this?

older type hose is plastic from expansion bottle to joiner, newer type is rubber to joiner. 

this is older type and normaly break as shown

59636d5041a18_2017-07-0320_34_46.thumb.jpg.95e77b2018e6f6de0d02b3076c9cbf83.jpg

• Thanks 1

newer rubber type. as you can see , the pipe from expansion bottle is rubber. 

you can also put your reg in to www.etis.ford.com and see if there is outstanding recall on your car. 

IMG_1390.JPG.94bab5451a7f88a92ca9167bf7a0e71b.JPG

• Thanks 1

the other day i saw a post on here (or the fiesta forum) where somone's narrow plastic hose (just at the point where the finger is pointing) broke and leaked. The car had the replacement rubber hose to the reservoir like in this pic but the narrow hose was still plastic (under the braided sleeve) . If I had one of these I would be a bit worried about that one also now.  And don't forget the recent posts where people have corrosion of the metal cooling pipes on the turbo (where the short rubber hose goes to just to the right of the connector where the finger points).  It is vital that you do not get a coolant leak on these engines.

• Like 2

There appears to be an error on the Etis site at the moment. It gives a Java error whenever I enter my VIN.

I had previously checked that and it showed no recall information but I wasn't sure if that meant it was done already or if it was unaffected?

I'll have a look under the bonnet later. Don't want to lose my car.

1 hour ago, Pebbleheed said:

There appears to be an error on the Etis site at the moment. It gives a Java error whenever I enter my VIN.

I had previously checked that and it showed no recall information but I wasn't sure if that meant it was done already or if it was unaffected?

I'll have a look under the bonnet later. Don't want to lose my car.

ETIS is broken today, it won't work for me either.  I doubt there's anyone there to fix it on a Sunday.

working now, maintenance is normally carried out on a sunday 

• Like 1

Looks like it’s been done on my car?

Part if it looks taped, not sure if that’s normal?

And any ideas what the blue cable is?

245B1692-068D-4E94-8BEE-0B209FA57B16.jpeg

52228BEE-37AC-4AC4-A82F-25319899AA3C.jpeg

70B00B22-77AB-4D4D-BAAC-FA41DDA24867.jpeg

FD0E8255-D853-422F-8FA2-599D1CBF88FA.jpeg

thats the later one, the blue cable is the downstream hego sensor wiring

• Thanks 1

So all looks good?

Hopefully no exploding engine :D

Keep an eye on the expansion tank. The heat makes them develop small cracks and eventually pop.

Well, not exactly pop but it'll be like trying to keep your coolant in a colander.

Apparently the tank will start to stain as the coolant works its way into the crazing. Then it's time to change it.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My de-gas hose was done on a recall about 2015 or so, it went again last week, the small tube became brittle and cracked, i only lost about a litre of coolant, was lucky really !! I chucked on a replacement myself  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, marshal62 said:

My de-gas hose was done on a recall about 2015 or so, it went again last week, the small tube became brittle and cracked, i only lost about a litre of coolant, was lucky really !! I chucked on a replacement myself  

How many miles has your car done?

2 hours ago, marshal62 said:

hi mate, its now on 78500 miles

Thanks.  Mine's just passed 23,000 miles so still some way to go but I'll keep my eye on this little joint.  It does seem a really bad design that means that £12 K of car is relying on a little plastic Y-fixing and hose.

1 hour ago, nitten_traveller said:

Thanks.  Mine's just passed 23,000 miles so still some way to go but I'll keep my eye on this little joint.  It does seem a really bad design that means that £12 K of car is relying on a little plastic Y-fixing and hose.

Where does the other end of that long hose go?  And what type of connection does it have?

If I get one of these I'll be replacing it with a silicone hose and metal T peice.  I don't know why no one else has made an upgrade kit for them yet...unless it's a weird connector at the other end?

The long hose has a clip on connector simular to the one that goes into expansion tank 

• Like 1

the 3 pipes come as an assembly and is easy to fit, you just need a screwdriver to snap off the retaining clips of the hidden end of the small pipes. (its self explanatory when you've got the replacement part to fit in front of you) and a pair of long nose pliers for the hose clip on the turbo.  The expansion tank is a push clip, takes 5 min to change simples. Other end of the small hose goes into cylinder head, clip connector, easy to get to. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nitten_traveller said:

Honestly mate if it splits while you are driving you can drain your system in a couple of miles!! Also you cant smell the antifreeze in the cabin if its leaking under the bonnet. Mine was a complete surprise, as i said i just happened to be servicing it at the time and noticed the undertray was wet.

8 hours ago, marshal62 said:

the 3 pipes come as an assembly and is easy to fit, you just need a screwdriver to snap off the retaining clips of the hidden end of the small pipes. (its self explanatory when you've got the replacement part to fit in front of you) and a pair of long nose pliers for the hose clip on the turbo.  The expansion tank is a push clip, takes 5 min to change simples. Other end of the small hose goes into cylinder head, clip connector, easy to get to. 

Yeah, I want to remove any plastic from it though.  That hard plastic pipe wasn't even any good as vac piping on the older cars...let alone putting coolant through it, at high temp under pressure.  And we've seen several of those plastic T pieces snap on here and the FB groups now.  Would rather have the peace of mind of fitting silicone and metal parts that won't break myself.  It's going to happen more and more often as the cars get older...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, I want to remove any plastic from it though.  That hard plastic pipe wasn't even any good as vac piping on the older cars...let alone putting coolant through it, at high temp under pressure.  And we've seen several of those plastic T pieces snap on here and the FB groups now.  Would rather have the peace of mind of fitting silicone and metal parts that won't break myself.  It's going to happen more and more often as the cars get older...

when you've done the mod,show us ,I'm interested to know what you did

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marshal62 said:

when you've done the mod,show us ,I'm interested to know what you did

I would be interested too!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club