Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EcoBoost degas hose question

Pebbleheed

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, marshal62 said:

43851510_330264957728308_6513980338664898560_n.jpg

hello, please could you let me know where I can buy this 3 piece assembly kit from?!? I cant seem to find it, any help would be appreciated, many thanks

What do you mean with 3 piece assembly kit?

The picture shows a defective degas hose. The thin plastic pipe should be connected to the T-piece. 

924725282_Degashose2.jpeg.edd19fc7b2580ac96def6972f0589b70.jpeg

The degas hose is a single part that needs to be changed completely.

As an alternative the cooling system can easily be converted to MK3.5 specs by replacing just 2 coolant hoses. The MK3.5 does no longer have the fragile, poorly designed degas hose. An added bonus is that both MK3.5 hoses are even cheaper than the MK3 degas hose.

9 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

What do you mean with 3 piece assembly kit?

The picture shows a defective degas hose. The thin plastic pipe should be connected to the T-piece. 

The degas hose is a single part that needs to be changed completely.

As an alternative the cooling system can easily be converted to MK3.5 specs by replacing just 2 coolant hoses. The MK3.5 does no longer have the fragile, poorly designed degas hose. An added bonus is that both MK3.5 hoses are even cheaper than the MK3 degas hose.

thank you very much for the reply, this is exactly what I need to replace. the thin plastic hose that connects to the T-piece has snapped, (the T-piece has also corroded) thanks!

Good luck buying one...they're so prone to failure there's a UK shortage atm! 

The shortage has resulted in a significant price increase. Last Year the degas hose costed only EUR 13,-. Currently the price has tripled to over EUR 40,-.

Yesterday I ordered the MK3.5 coolant hoses. By converting the coolant system to MK3.5 specs the degas hose problem will be solved permanently. Both hoses cost me less than EUR 40,-.

• Like 2

Has anyone had this pipe updated via the recall and the threaded pipe leaked?

i have recently bought a car which was updated but I noticed the coolant level was down yesterday, so topped it up and went for a quick 10 minute drive. Roughly 2 litres of coolant was then leaked out!

i don’t know if I should ask for my money back

1 hour ago, Andrewlaw said:

Has anyone had this pipe updated via the recall and the threaded pipe leaked?

i have recently bought a car which was updated but I noticed the coolant level was down yesterday, so topped it up and went for a quick 10 minute drive. Roughly 2 litres of coolant was then leaked out!

i don’t know if I should ask for my money back

Threaded pipe?  If you mean the thin pipe coming from the T-piece, yes a lot break there after the recall.

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Threaded pipe?  If you mean the thin pipe coming from the T-piece, yes a lot break there after the recall.

Yes, the threaded pipe. I believe there is a leak coming from the end where the red arrow points to! Also the fact the label on the black part under the red arrow is pink from the coolant fluid! (Excuse my poor explanation... I have very little knowledge of cars.)

also do you believe that this has been updated to the new hose?

CC053038-3121-48DB-B532-06E565F5B449.jpeg

Yes that looks like the updated hose.

I would suggest not driving it until the leak is fixed.You don't need to drive far with missing coolant to completely destroy these engines.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andrewlaw said:

Yes, the threaded pipe. I believe there is a leak coming from the end where the red arrow points to! Also the fact the label on the black part under the red arrow is pink from the coolant fluid! (Excuse my poor explanation... I have very little knowledge of cars.)

also do you believe that this has been updated to the new hose?

CC053038-3121-48DB-B532-06E565F5B449.jpeg

Yes, that's the new hose.  The 'threaded' sheath is only a cover, underneath that is a rigid plastic hose.  As I say, that particular hose wasn't altered for the new system and is still very common to break...in my opinion Ford should have uprated that one as well but didn't.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help. 

I think I was quite lucky in catching it. Don’t believe I did any real damage to the engine! Bit annoying only having it a week.

also didn’t drive it after I realised the leak. The garage I bought it from are picking it up in a recovery vehicle today.

not sure I’ll be able to trust it when I get it back. (Even though everyone said trust in Ford).

4 minutes ago, Andrewlaw said:

Thanks everyone for your help. 

I think I was quite lucky in catching it. Don’t believe I did any real damage to the engine! Bit annoying only having it a week.

also didn’t drive it after I realised the leak. The garage I bought it from are picking it up in a recovery vehicle today.

not sure I’ll be able to trust it when I get it back. (Even though everyone said trust in Ford).

I actually bought and sold one of these within a fortnight for this exact reason...  I was worried just driving it around the car park let alone any further...not worth the stress for me, just going to keep waiting for a facelift model!  The facelift has a different coolant hose setup (see Wilco's post above yours)...you could try your luck and ask the garage to upgrade your coolant pipes to the facelift version...  Also worth checking the coolant header tank for cracks as well.

• Like 1

I mean I’m going to allow them to sort it once and increase my warranty, because it’s already cost enough to sort my insurance! 

45 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I actually bought and sold one of these within a fortnight for this exact reason...  I was worried just driving it around the car park let alone any further...not worth the stress for me, just going to keep waiting for a facelift model!  The facelift has a different coolant hose setup (see Wilco's post above yours)...you could try your luck and ask the garage to upgrade your coolant pipes to the facelift version...  Also worth checking the coolant header tank for cracks as well.

So do you suggest just get the other one fixed and keep it, then change the tubes when hopefully a new one comes out?

would anyone also recommend a third party warranty company?

On 11/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, JW1982 said:

The shortage has resulted in a significant price increase. Last Year the degas hose costed only EUR 13,-. Currently the price has tripled to over EUR 40,-.

Yesterday I ordered the MK3.5 coolant hoses. By converting the coolant system to MK3.5 specs the degas hose problem will be solved permanently. Both hoses cost me less than EUR 40,-.

Can you send links to this new system?

1 hour ago, Andrewlaw said:

So do you suggest just get the other one fixed and keep it, then change the tubes when hopefully a new one comes out?

would anyone also recommend a third party warranty company?

The pipe can't be fixed, they go brittle and literally crumble.  You will need to have a replacement.  The garage will fit the same as you already have though which will eventually break again.  I would ask if they'd upgrade to the newer system (as Wilco has).

I don't personally use a 3rd party warranty, but yes I would suggest it's a good idea with these, just in case.  You would have to check the small print about what the warranty covers and how much they'll pay though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The pipe can't be fixed, they go brittle and literally crumble.  You will need to have a replacement.  The garage will fit the same as you already have though which will eventually break again.  I would ask if they'd upgrade to the newer system (as Wilco has).

I don't personally use a 3rd party warranty, but yes I would suggest it's a good idea with these, just in case.  You would have to check the small print about what the warranty covers and how much they'll pay though.  

Are you aware of this new system? Or how to find it? I can always suggest it to the garage?

2 hours ago, Andrewlaw said:

Are you aware of this new system? Or how to find it? I can always suggest it to the garage?

It's just the system used on the facelift Focus, 2015 onwards.  I don't know the part numbers off hand though, hopefully Wilco has them.

To convert the MK3 coolant system to MK3.5 specs. you need the following hoses:

Finis 1855418 
Finis 

Installation is basically straightforward and will take less than half an hour.

Next to these hoses it is also a very good idea to replace the coolant reservoir cap. There is a revised coolant reservoir cap which was introduced on the 1.6 ECOboost cooling system recall. This revised coolant reservoir cap is fully compatible with all other engine types and has Finis number 5193938.

Also inspect the coolant reservoir carefully and in case any (micro)cracks are present the reservoir should be replaced.

It is also highly recommendable to drain the coolant. There is a drain valve at the bottom of the radiator so draining the coolant is very easy. After all work is performed the cooling system can be (vacuum) filled with fresh coolant. Due to the relative high coolant temperature of the 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines the coolant deteriorates and forms crystals inside the cooling system. The coolant Ford uses is G12+ compatible. G12+ coolant is pretty inexpensive so changing the coolant will not cost much.

• Like 4

My degas hose was one of the first to be replaced via recall. Looks ok still but I'm ordering hoses tomorrow for mine . Not long had new cap, bottle and antifreeze change.

17 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Finis 1855418 
Finis 

Next to these hoses it is also a very good idea to replace the coolant reservoir cap. There is a revised coolant reservoir cap which was introduced on the 1.6 ECOboost cooling system recall. This revised coolant reservoir cap is fully compatible with all other engine types and has Finis number 5193938.

Also inspect the coolant reservoir carefully and in case any (micro)cracks are present the reservoir should be replaced.

It is also highly recommendable to drain the coolant. There is a drain valve at the bottom of the radiator so draining the coolant is very easy. After all work is performed the cooling system can be (vacuum) filled with fresh coolant. Due to the relative high coolant temperature of the 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines the coolant deteriorates and forms crystals inside the cooling system. The coolant Ford uses is G12+ compatible. G12+ coolant is pretty inexpensive so changing the coolant will not cost much.

My car is currently with the garage getting sorted as I only had it a week and it went!

Haven't heard much from him yet but I will talk to him about it! I doubt he wants the car back as well 

17 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Finis 1855418 
Finis 

So the garage has changed the T joint that apparently went.

I would love to be able to fit all this so I don’t have to worry but I have literally no idea what I’m doing when it comes to cars, just came on here to ask some advice 

18 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Finis 1855418 
Finis 

Wilco, can you post some pictures of the upgrade please? This looks to be a good idea for peace of mind.

24 minutes ago, Garybee said:

Wilco, can you post some pictures of the upgrade please? This looks to be a good idea for peace of mind.

And possibly a list of every part you need to do the job?

1.0 ECOboost cooling system:

1521708665_MK31.0ECOboost2.thumb.jpg.bb490aea2977581e72ada25f15b72b11.jpg

This part of the cooling system is identical for both the MK3 and MK3.5  1.0 ECOboost.

MK3  1.0 ECOboost cooling hoses:

5wjndyu.gif

MK3.5 cooling system pipes and hoses:

Oy14mjz.gif

On the MK3.5 the degas hose is integrated in the expansion hose. The thin plastic hose/pipe is no longer part of the degas hose but a seperate hose/pipe that runs directly from the coolant reservoir to the engine.

To convert the MK3 cooling system to MK3.5 specs you only have to change the following parts:

Finis 1855418 
Finis 

I paid less than €50,- including P&P.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club