Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EcoBoost degas hose question

Pebbleheed

On 10/14/2018 at 12:15 PM, nitten_traveller said:

How many miles has your car done?

Just bought a focus eco boost  here in Dublin which has been imported from the uk with 94000 miles .. it’s a 13 plate ( March) with a full service history and mot certs . It seem to have the new type rubber hose and plastic connector . I’ve checked the dvsa site and nothing showing for a recall .. also checked the ford website which also says no recall ..also have six month warranty from my dealer ... but looking at these posts I’m still worried or should I be ??

Edited by Locker14

My understanding is that while the updated design is better than previous, it isn't perfect and they do still deteriorate.

From reading other posts, the facelift model hasn't had any issues with the hose due to the new design and removal of the T section. 

I have changed one of my ecoboosts over to the MK3.5 design for peace of mind despite there being no obvious problem with the hose I removed and the other will soon be following.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I’ve recently had the mis-fortune of my coolant hose cracking, specifically at the same T-piece section as the original poster has mentioned. For clarification I have a Ford Focus Ecoboost 2013. I’ve since ordered and replaced the coolant hose required to fix the issue and great the car is back up and running. I’ve already had the header tank replaced in 2018 due to cracks in it. Luckily I caught these issues in time before any further damage was done. 

Looking into the issue in more detail after id fixed the car I ran into this post, which interests me a lot, with regards to the changing of the coolant pipes to the 3.5 version. My question is really, have any of you guys experienced any problems since updating to the new coolant hoses and do you think there is greater reliability? Although I’ve just changed my coolant hoses, albeit to the old original style, I would be very much tempted to change them out for the newer spec, just for peace of mind. The info you guys have given has been excellent in this post. 

Hope you guys are able to give me a reply with this post being a bit old.

@JW1982 @Phil3747 @Chris1973 @0shiny1 @iantt

Thanks

Jase 🙂 

As per my posts on page 3, that's exactly what I did...dead easy to do and £47ish is not a lot to pay for peace of mind.

The advantage of the conversion is that they have done away with the small plastic t-piece completely so all you have now are traditional heater pipes as per the photos at the top of page 3...no brainer !! 

• Like 1

On the one I have changed the hoses on, I've experienced no issues. I believe the reliability should be better as it loses the T-piece sitting near to the turbo and the heat that produces. 

I also don't believe there has been any revisions to the design of the MK3.5 hoses like there was to the MK3. I could be wrong on that bit though.

I still intend on changing the other of mine to the newer design but got to change out a broken suspension spring first....

• Like 1

Hi I have a mk3 1.0 focus ecoboost with the t piece degas hose 2012 model, I’m looking to upgrade to mk3.5 degas hose setup is it only the two hoses I need to change or is there anything else 

Part numbers:

Thanks Tony. 

It's just the two hoses you need in order to change over 

• Like 1

Okay Thankyou I’m not the best with cars is there any video tutorials or pictures that can help in ay way cheers 

tony 

See JW1982's post at the bottom of page 2 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 7:13 AM, Jase the ace said:

Hi all, I’ve recently had the mis-fortune of my coolant hose cracking, specifically at the same T-piece section as the original poster has mentioned. For clarification I have a Ford Focus Ecoboost 2013. I’ve since ordered and replaced the coolant hose required to fix the issue and great the car is back up and running. I’ve already had the header tank replaced in 2018 due to cracks in it. Luckily I caught these issues in time before any further damage was done. 

Looking into the issue in more detail after id fixed the car I ran into this post, which interests me a lot, with regards to the changing of the coolant pipes to the 3.5 version. My question is really, have any of you guys experienced any problems since updating to the new coolant hoses and do you think there is greater reliability? Although I’ve just changed my coolant hoses, albeit to the old original style, I would be very much tempted to change them out for the newer spec, just for peace of mind. The info you guys have given has been excellent in this post. 

Hope you guys are able to give me a reply with this post being a bit old.

@JW1982 @Phil3747 @Chris1973 @0shiny1 @iantt

Thanks

Jase 🙂 

Sorry for the late reply Jase, to answer your question - I've personally had no problems at all since the change over to MK 3.5 hoses, it's a really good idea to make the change over if you can.  Eliminating that hose with the worrisome plastic T piece will give you peace of mind. 😁

• Like 1

My wife's 2013 Ecoboost 1.0 125 Fiesta appears to have a single hose without the hose branching off I've seen in the photos above. Please could anyone advise if this is something I need to be concerned about?

Photo.thumb.jpg.73697c9c4ad6bc43cac424d5d184644f.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi I just found out that my coolant has been leaking from the dagas hose and took it to the dealerships for repairs and their making me to pay for it, I thought it was suppose To be free As all of thier cars have same problem. Don’t Know what to do anymore 

58 minutes ago, Nasim said:

Hi I just found out that my coolant has been leaking from the dagas hose and took it to the dealerships for repairs and their making me to pay for it, I thought it was suppose To be free As all of thier cars have same problem. Don’t Know what to do anymore 

The original recall repair was free.  Your car probably already had it a few years ago, the 'new' hose they fit also breaks eventually.

• Like 1

Yep that's what happened with my daughter's car. Ask them to replace it with the Mk3.5 hoses instead...they will probably say that they don't show as being compatible with the Mk3 but they are...as previously stated they are only around £52 and take about 10 minutes to fit so you shouldn't be looking at a big bill. Alternatively, just buy the new hoses from the dealer and get a local garage to fit them for you if you aren't able to do it yourself ??

• Like 1

What about refilling the coolant is that easy or do you have to do it a specific way in order to bleed the system.

No bleeding required...just pour it in and away you go 😉

That's not quite true, though you may get away with it.

They're meant to be vacuum bled, but most self-bleed if you run it with the cap off and the heaters on until the stat opens.

• Like 1

I guess I must have been lucky twice then...once when I replaced the blown one with a direct replacement then again a week later when I upgraded to the Mk3.5 version 😊

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That's not quite true, though you may get away with it.

They're meant to be vacuum bled, but most self-bleed if you run it with the cap off and the heaters on until the stat opens.

That's what I used to do, open everything on full and wait for it to get up to temp, hopefully it will be the same on this.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Im. Loosing coolant from expansion tank just noticed the degas pipe is brittle and has a leak mine is a 2012 eco boost 1.0 should this be done on recall or can I buy parts myself to fit please 

You might find that it has already been recalled. The MK 3.5 hoses would be the best option for replacement as my understanding is that the MK3 hose still goes brittle even though its an 'updated' design of the earlier one that was recalled. 

If the degas hose is leaking I wouldn't risk driving it any further until it has been changed, if it lets go it is highly likely the engine will suffer damage requiring replacement.  

• Like 2

Spot on....my daughter's '63 plate Focus had already had the original one replaced but last year the replacement also split resulting in the vehicle needing to be recovered to our local Ford garage for checking. Luckily no serious damage had been caused so I then replaced the two hoses with the Mk3.5 version.

Well here's my story....

Planned to go to Glasgow today on a business trip. Topped up correct oil & coolant (the latter was low and I had NOT seen any signs of overheating!)

Got onto M40 from West London and decided to just stop at the services outside Oxford. Pulled up & saw the coolant 'steam' rising from under the hood.

Opened it up and found that, what I now know from reading the posts here, that the Degas pipe has a hole/split in it.

It was looking like a whistling kettle for around 5mins then cooled down. Rang my mechanic who advised me to get recovery but I still ha, thankfully, half a tank of coolant left and so set off back to West London.

Found a place near Uxbridge that has the replacements in stock at £35+ so ill have to grab one in the morning then get it down to my mechanic for fixing.

Thanks for everyones words of wisdom on here, as I will be pursuing the 'upgrade' once I've (hopefully) returned from my trip North of the Bonnieland. 🙂 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to add to this, for anyone thinking of doing the upgrade to the MK3.5 hoses. I am completely new to working on my car, but generally experienced with fixing other things (mainly bikes). I found the hose clamp on the connection to the cylinder head difficult to remove (mainly due to access being tricky) and it eventually the tab broke while still in the clamped position. I was able to destructively remove it after that. Apart from that everything went quite smoothly, just note that the hoses are reasonably difficult to remove and put back on, requiring a fair amount of wiggling and pulling/pushing. Make sure the hoses are fully home on reassembly, and obviously double and triple check that all the clamps and clips are secure. Overall, I wouldn't recommend the job for a complete novice at general mechanics, but for someone with a decent amount of experience and confidence, it's a simple enough job. Just my opinion, obviously!

Cheers. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club