Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What make of engine oil and oil filter?

jamesjay

Happy Sunday folks,

I am about to do an oil and filter change on my 2009 Zetec Fiesta which was previously done by a Ford dealership, but since the dealership have stopped giving the free national breakdown when they do a service and MOT I have decided to do the oil change myself, I do the pollen filter and air filter myself because they are not included in the service and always did my own oil changes and servicing on my previous secondhand cars anyway.

The car passed its MOT without any problems or advisory warnings...so I am looking for the best make of oil and filter for a low yearly mileage car below 6000 a year...its only done 37000 since new so I presume its about time for some plugs too.

Any help and advice would be appreciated,

James.   

Must be petrol as he said plugs maybe due at 37k, got to mean sparks as glowplugs should last a lot longer...  No Ecoboosts in 2009 Fiesta so must be a Zetec engine which narrows it down to 1.25, 1.4 or 1.6...  Only does low mileage so I'll guess at 1.25. :laugh: 

On a serious note, the genuine oil and filters often aren't expensive and can be picked up on eBay or fordpartsuk for a good price if you wanted to stick with that.  If not, I tend to go for Bosch filters and Shell oil.  Realistically, those engines aren't fussy like ecoboosts or prone to carbon like the diesels so you can probably get away with the cheapest brands like Crossland filter and Triple QX oil, brand choice really is up to you and your budget.  Be careful with changing the plugs if they've been in there since 2009!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Must be petrol as he said plugs maybe due at 37k, got to mean sparks as glowplugs should last a lot longer...  No Ecoboosts in 2009 Fiesta so must be a Zetec engine which narrows it down to 1.25, 1.4 or 1.6...  Only does low mileage so I'll guess at 1.25. :laugh: 

On a serious note, the genuine oil and filters often aren't expensive and can be picked up on ebay or fordpartsuk for a good price if you wanted to stick with that.  If not, I tend to go for Bosch filters and Shell oil.  Realistically, those engines aren't fussy like ecoboosts or prone to carbon like the diesels so you can probably get away with the cheapest brands like Crossland filter and Triple QX oil, brand choice really is up to you and your budget.  Be careful with changing the plugs if they've been in there since 2009!

good detective work sherlock holmes.lol

• Haha 2

@TomsFocus  Sorry about the lack of CC...yes it is a 1.25 but I did say Zetec in my post so while it was good detective work you missed the bloodstained knife with the butlers fingerprints on it.:biggrin: 

I think I will do the plugs and yes they are spark plugs and as far as I am aware the Ford dealership didn't remove them although they did the change the brake fluid and they replaced the coolant within the specified time scales, because it was a chargeable item.

The reasons I asked about make of oil and filter was because I thought the members that did their own servicing would have a favourite brand, I don't want to go cheap if cheap turns out to be nasty, the last time I changed the oil and filter was in 2008 on a Mondeo and I think I used Duckhams oil and a Champion filter. 

Sorry again for the lack of info and thanks for replying.

Kind regards,

James.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha, Zetec is a trim level though, couldn't be sure you meant Zetec engine...you can even buy diesel engines with Zetec trim...  :wink:  

I'd say I'm more Brian from New Tricks than Sherlock. :laugh:

Back on topic...I've done plenty of oil changes with various makes but it does depend on the engine as to what I'd chose.  As I said above, the old Zetec engines aren't fussy at all, they'll take anything really but I would stick to a brand you've heard of...I'm pretty sure a lot are made in the same place and just rebranded anyway lol.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club