Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swap Xenon + Halogen Headlights to Bi-Xenon

internetstatic

Hello,

I have a 2012 Ford Focus Mk3 - Titanum X with factory fitted xenon headlamps (low), Halogen (high), LED DRLs, auto levelling, washers etc.

I was hoping if someone could enlighten me, if it is possible to change them to a bi-xenon setup? The process, parts, costs etc.

Apologies, if this has been answered already on the forum.

Many thanks.

I don't have any experience with the Mk3 lamps but if they are as much a pain in the bum as the Mk2.5 then forget it. you'll need to replace the projector housing with a CE approved one, then rewire it up. its not all that hard once you get inside the damn things but that is where i came unstuck have what is in essence bi xenon projectors in the low beam reflector position as well as halogen highbeams as normal, absolutely love it.

big job, expensive to do it right, and ask yourself this, are you going to see any real benefit to using them?

Thank you for your reply, I was just curious to know if it had anyone had attempted it as a mod. I would have liked to imagine that it would just be as simple as replacing the current headlight assembly with another bi-xenon and re-wire.

Would be nice to have a little more lux on dark roads.:D

The OEM Focus MK3 HID (Xenon) headlights are actually Bi-Xenon headlights.

The projectors are equipped with an electric actuator that controls a shutter that changes the light image of the projector. Because of this the HID lights have a higher light output when the High Beam is switched on. 

Next to the Bi-Xenon projectors the OEM HID lights do also have an additional halogen bulb. The purpose of this bulb is to use the high Beam for flashing. During day when the HID lights are switched off the HID lights are not suitible for flashing. It simply takes too much time before the HID lights obtain their full intensity. This makes them useless for flashing. As a solution for this most manufacturers use an additional halogen bulb next to the Bi-Xenon projectors.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Next to the Bi-Xenon projectors the OEM HID lights do also have an additional halogen bulb. The purpose of this bulb is to use the high Beam for flashing. During day when the HID lights are switched off the HID lights are not suitible for flashing. It simply takes too much time before the HID lights obtain their full intensity. This makes them useless for flashing. As a solution for this most manufacturers use an additional halogen bulb next to the Bi-Xenon projectors.

Always wondered why there was a halogen bulb for main beam next to the xenon projector, I've learnt something there! :biggrin: 

The other option for that halogen bulb on the MK3 is cornering lights, certainly on the Titanium X.

On 20/10/2017 at 12:11 PM, JW1982 said:

The OEM Focus MK3 HID (Xenon) headlights are actually Bi-Xenon headlights.

The projectors are equipped with an electric actuator that controls a shutter that changes the light image of the projector. Because of this the HID lights have a higher light output when the High Beam is switched on. 

This I wasn't aware! I think I should just replace the bulbs, maybe that might help. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club