Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying a used mk3 Focus

dstev

Hi all, 

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium X 2.0 Tdci. I'm buying it from one of the big car franchises. 

The dealer collected the car from one of their Ford franchises last weekend for me to have a look at on Sunday (the dealer I'm getting it from is Seat, same franchise though). The car wasn't brilliant in terms of condition. I mean it had no major cosmetic issues, just a few marks and scratches and a scrape on the rear bumper. The salesman said he was hoping the Ford dealer had prepped it but it had only just come in so not had time. He did say everything will get sorted including a bumper respray. The interior was immaculate and the car is black so shows marks easily in all fairness. I've not seen the car since they've prepped it but if it's all sorted I'm happy with it.

What does concern me however is that he said it was holding back on performance and it needs to go to a Ford dealer for a service and diagnostics. It only got serviced 3k miles ago althoygh that was 18 months ago. Seems a bit strange. Any ideas what it could be? The car has only done 33k miles. Again he said it would be sorted for me and the car would be spot on for me. I'll also give them credit for taking it to Ford (not their franchise either) which will obviously cost them more. Still a concern though.

Any ideas what it may be?

Anything else I need to check or be wary of?

Thanks in advance

David

No idea what the fault is but I’d walk away at that point. Look for another without the issues. 

• Like 1

Walk away and have a look at other models, performance wise now I've driven both the 1.6 TDCi and 2.0 TDCi the power in the 2.0 is good but it doesn't feel anything like 160bhp maybe they have a bad map? I have the 1.6 remapped to 150bhp it's not 160bhp but it walks my mates 2.0, but remapping a 2.0 will be amazing I should imagine. 

I have a 2012 2.0 TDCI - the 140 version.  Performance wasn't exactly great on mine either, but a Blufin helped that.  Just doesn't feel smooth, but I've got over the disappointment and just live with it now.

Yes I must say my gut instinct does say walk away. I will see what happens when it comes back from Ford next week. The other attraction to me is that they are offering a good part ex price for my current car (which is worth more than the Focus) and the Focus is available on 0% finance. The reason I'm looking to change is to reduce my outgoings so the deal works for me in that respect. Still I don't want to be stuck with a Friday afternoon car, it will be cost me more in the long run. 

Let's see how it drives next week. I can always walk away then or try and negotiate a bit on the price (which I may well do anyway!)

• Like 1

Make sure you’re 100% happy before you take it. Nothing worse than a nice new car that always lets you down and makes you feel crap. 

• Like 1

Ive got a 2014 2.0 tdci zetec s 163 and when I got it performance was rubbish and never felt like a 160 bhp so I took it to ford and they scanned it and installed the latest software for powertrain and it gave the car a lot more performance and its smoother and better on fuel.

• Like 1

Well we never even got to the driving part - I've bought another vehicle instead. 

The salesman was a bit disappointed but it supposedly went in to Ford on Tues and I'd heard nothing yesterday afternoon. I think I was right to steer clear of it. Plus my new car represents better value, is much more economical and is free to tax.

I'm sure I'll be back to Ford in the future.