Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate malfunction

Mazzie

Having opened the power tailgate to put my gym bag in the rear I then pressed the button to close the tailgate. On starting the engine I got a warning message that the tailgate was open so I checked and visually it appeared closed, however, I then pressed the button to re-open it. Whilst one side appeared to start opening the other didn't, therefore the tailgate would not open. I pushed down on the tailgate to see if it would close properly but no, so now I'm stuck with a tailgate that is apparently open according to the dashboard message but won't open, also whilst the car locks it wont double lock.  Fortunately, I hadn't closed the torneau cover so was able, with some difficulty, to retrieve my ton weight gym bag via the back seat. Its booked into the dealers mid next week to hopefully correct this fault, but I'm not impressed, has anyone else experienced this problem?

Update from yesterday:-

Bad news - engine wouldn't start due to flat battery.

Good news - tailgate now opens and closes correctly.

Called out the AA to get the car started, which he did promptly, and then he interrogated the system  to find one fault code recorded of open circuit on the tailgate motor, so its still going in to the Ford dealers for analysis and corrective action next week.

1 hour ago, Mazzie said:

Update from yesterday:-

Bad news - engine wouldn't start due to flat battery.

Good news - tailgate now opens and closes correctly.

Called out the AA to get the car started, which he did promptly, and then he interrogated the system  to find one fault code recorded of open circuit on the tailgate motor, so its still going in to the Ford dealers for analysis and corrective action next week.

That code was probably logged when you had the problem. Most codes will clear themselves after so many ignition cycles if the fault has gone away. i.e. the tailgate is now fixed!

you need to check the cargo hooks are facing forwards fully as they can catch the tailgate

mine does stick sometimes and will reclose. I think its just the rubbers sticking! i'm hoping it will wear a bit in time and not be an issue or I will have to find something to unstick the rubber seal against the closed hatch. any suggestions?

mine does stick sometimes and will reclose. I think its just the rubbers sticking! i'm hoping it will wear a bit in time and not be an issue or I will have to find something to unstick the rubber seal against the closed hatch. any suggestions?

you need the striker wings adjusting and a module update/initialisation

ive only had my edge a month and it only seems to occasionally stick when I'm parked on an incline facing down which my driveway is.

To avoid sticking rubbers try dusting with talc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had this exact same thing happen this morning, while the dog was in the boot  Same side stuck and everything. I have a dog guard and rigid boot liner which made getting the dog out very tricky.

on hold to dealers now to get it looked at.

Update - my Edge was booked into the Ford dealer for Wednesday, I took it in on Monday, 2 days before it was due, as the fault was draining the battery and I decided it was best if the battery was flat that it was in their car park, rather than on my driveway. I'm fortunate in that I have a second car, an MX5, which is much more fun to drive but not as practical. The dealer has now advised that they have identified an internal fault within the tailgate motor, new motor is currently shown as on back order with no delivery date. I have decided to leave the car with them for the next 48 hours as that may enable them to establish the availability of replacement part(s).

Update - my Edge was booked into the Ford dealer for Wednesday, I took it in on Monday, 2 days before it was due, as the fault was draining the battery and I decided it was best if the battery was flat that it was in their car park, rather than on my driveway. I'm fortunate in that I have a second car, an MX5, which is much more fun to drive but not as practical. The dealer has now advised that they have identified an internal fault within the tailgate motor, new motor is currently shown as on back order with no delivery date. I have decided to leave the car with them for the next 48 hours as that may enable them to establish the availability of replacement part(s).

So I can see why your battery keeps going flat. On mine, the Interior lights stay on much longer, now turned off but the puddle lights also stay on. You can’t over ride these or switch them off. All because the boot open alarm is lit on the dash.

Did they leave you with a working but manual tailgate or is it still stuck?

The strange thing is that the power tailgate started working again as normal before it went in, but obviously due to the faulty motor, you cannot rely on it. The dealer offered me the car back until they know when the replacement part(s) are available but I have so far declined on the basis that I do want to be stuck with a car where the battery might be flat. I didn't know that there was an option to have a manual opening tailgate in the interim, but, I will discuss this with them tomorrow when they update me as to the parts availability, as these cars are built in Canada I guess the supplier is North American which just adds to the delay.

curiously mine started working today and seems to consistently be working. I also noticed the boot open alarm was not showing any more.

I have a hunch that when it stuck I was parked with my front left wheel up on a bank, maybe 6 inches and I think this introduced the tiniest amount of twist in the chassis/body that when the boot closed and I then reversed off the bank the tailgate would have twisted back, probably only by a few mm but enough to cause it to stick. I went back to the place and parked the same way and gave the tailgate a real good go at opening or closing it properly but it wouldn't budge. When I then reverse off the bank the boot open alarm went off and the boot opened when I tried it.

strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! after 3 weeks I have my Edge back, all this time waiting for a replacement tailgate motor, I just hope this one proves to be reliable.

• 2 months later...

My Edge has started periodicly not closing the tailgate properly which leaves the interior light on and you can end up with a flat battery. It is worse if not parked on dead level ground. Going into dealers for 2nd time on Monday. 1st time worked all OK in their garage and they adjusted some stops.

i had the same problem when not on level ground, dealership could not resolve the problem after many tweeks 

• 4 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, Stoney871 said:

To avoid sticking rubbers try dusting with talc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

update.... I've given it until last week to see if the rubbers would wear in a bit as the sticking only happened really when on an incline facing down. anyway gave up waiting and your talc trick has done the job. simple but sorted!! no trouble since. thanks

• Like 1

Hi All

This happened to my Edge as well.

In fact the tailgate played up from day 1 when dealer was completing car handover to me.

After a couple of three warranty visits, dealers replaced one of the power struts telling me it was faulty.

Have had no trouble with it to date (over a year later).

Dave

• 4 months later...

I have been having the odd problem with the tailgate not opening and sometimes closing on its own. Read a forum from the US where they put it down to the main drive motor but also said it can be disabled then enabled to clear the issue. Anyway closed the tailgate the other night and reopened so slammed it shut as it just clicks. Tried to open yesterday but absolutely nothing Ford coming out in the morning thanks for the warning of the tailgate motor draining the battery as that seems to be what is happening so hope this will be resolved.

I have an issue with my boot too.  Neither the button on the outside to open nor the button on the bottom of the boot work.  I can only open and close the boot from the button on the dash.

If I push the outside button the catch releases but the boot does not open.  When open if I push the button on the bottom to close I get a load of claxons from the car and nothing happens.  

What I find odd is it works fine from the button in the car.  Also opens using the fob.  I have deactivated the stupid switch thing as it constantly closed on my head.

Any ideas?

Thanks

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, AjM said:

I have an issue with my boot too.  Neither the button on the outside to open nor the button on the bottom of the boot work.  I can only open and close the boot from the button on the dash.

If I push the outside button the catch releases but the boot does not open.  When open if I push the button on the bottom to close I get a load of claxons from the car and nothing happens.  

What I find odd is it works fine from the button in the car.  Also opens using the fob.  I have deactivated the stupid switch thing as it constantly closed on my head.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fixed it with a battery off reset...

• 2 months later...

I forgot to update this but my car was not fixed at all.  In fact since that post it has been to ford 4 times and only on the last, time last week did it get fixed.  Turned out it was the battery which explains why they could not find anything wrong with the boot except that it did not work

They put a new one in under warranty and so far so good.  It seems from reading a lot of posts on here that nearly all the problems have been solved by new batteries....from windscreens to boots!  Now if ford could finally fix my DAB after 7 months that would be great...

• 4 years later...

Ford is a joke, there is a known Fault Code on the tailgate 'Open Circuit on tailgate motor' that if you don't fix it, it will eventually drain the power from your battery and your car is then inoperable. Thousand of dollars to fix the Fault Code and Ford plays the 'oh well too bad you got the lemon' one game. SHAMEFUL and disgusting, going to blast social media about this.

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club