Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What size is the steering wheel retaining nut on a MK2 Focus?

FatHead1979

Morning all, I've searched the forum but couldn't find anywhere where someone had asked this before.  I'm going to attempt a significant job (dash out) to fit a replacement heater matrix, long story but the matrix itself is knacked and doesn't have the jointed pipe (it's all in one) so it's all going to have to come out if I don't want to be cold this winter! :wallbash:

I've think I've got all the tools I need apart from a socket that will definitely fit the retaining/locking nut for the steering wheel.  Basically I'm trying to ensure I have all the tools before I start pulling stuff apart, to avoid having to run to Halfords in a rush to pick up some obscure item.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit!  My bad, thinking of the wrong car...  It is a normal bolt rather than torx as you say, doesn't look particularly odd sized though.  I've got a whole folder full of pictures for steering wheel change (to cruise wheel), can even tell you its ~50Nm for the bolt, but nothing for the socket size.  Thought I made a guide on here but can't seem to find it so maybe I never got round to it. :unsure: 

IMAG4172.jpg

Found it, I put the guide on a French car forum of course... :rolleyes::laugh: 

27mm bolt, 48Nm.  

But that is for facelift, I don't know if they changed it but wouldn't think so.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Found it, I put the guide on a French car forum of course... :rolleyes::laugh: 

27mm bolt, 48Nm.  

But that is for facelift, I don't know if they changed it but wouldn't think so.

You the man, I'll be of check my socket set (and most likely have to pick one up at that size).  I know Ford have a habit of fannying about changing little bits but hopefully they didn't decide o start fitting a different size at some point of the production run.

Thanks again mate, I'll be sure to post a picture of the mess when I get it all pulled out! :biggrin:

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 Ford used bolts with a 24 mm and a 27 mm hex head. However the 27 mm ones are a lot more common.

For safety reasons Ford prescribes to use the steering wheel bolt only once. Once removed it needs to be changed. The threads of a new steering wheel bolt are covered with Loctite. When reusing the old steering wheel bolt you should at least also use Loctite.

As promised, here's the carnage! 

What have I done? Lol 🙈 

WP_20171021_14_47_09_Rich.jpg

• Like 4

I hope you can remember where it all goes. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

try doing a complete wiring loom on a older shape ford galaxy. virtually one complete loom for the whole car!!! it was a bare Shell inside and doors , lights, even the same loom did most of the engine also, try remembering that. lol

The good thing about modern car looms is that the plugs only fit one thing.  

Admittedly there's less electrics on classic cars but all the connectors are the same lol!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The good thing about modern car looms is that the plugs only fit one thing.  

Admittedly there's less electrics on classic cars but all the connectors are the same lol!

most plugs only fit one thing. not all as ive found out a few times. especially anoying then the wiring stretches to fit the wrong sensor or actuator!! 

• Like 1

The joys of being able to take shedloads of high quality pictures!

She's back together again and all mi buttons still work...she even drives proper too, lol. :biggrin:

I'm just waiting for some more long life anti-freeze to arrive and I'll connect up the matrix to the main cooling system (it's the only bit I've got left to do), so "technically" I still don't have heating in my car!

IF the replacement matrix itself leaks after all I've gone through to fit the replacement, I think I really will murder someone! :angry:

I also replaced the heater fan resistor because mine had started only working on positions 3 and 4, that's also working properly again so although it was a LONG and slightly scary weekend, it seems to have all been worth it.

All back together again 2017.10.23.jpg

I hope that's not wheels straight ahead... :tongue::laugh:

Could you have refilled the coolant before putting the whole dash back?  Just in case there are any leaks. :unsure:

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Could you have refilled the coolant before putting the whole dash back?  Just in case there are any leaks. :unsure:

Needed the car for work and didn't think to have another 5 litres of the long life stuff ready. I'll not be doing it again, I'd rather pit up with no heating in December than do that again!

• Haha 1

how many hours do you reckon that took to do it all

ALL of Saturday and Sunday, I reckon at least 15 hours.  Now I've done it once I reckon it would would probably take less than 10 hours the 2nd time round because I wouldn't have to keep skipping around to and from various sections of the damn Haynes manual! :wallbash:

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Funny...lol, thankfully not!

• Like 1

On 22/10/2017 at 6:12 PM, 1979Damian said:

As promised, here's the carnage! 

What have I done? Lol 🙈 

WP_20171021_14_47_09_Rich.jpg

All because you lost a 10pence piece 😂😂😂😂

All because you lost a 10pence piece [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

ive seen a lad at work have dash off and heater box out and stripped due to a customers child posting an expensive ring down the air vents and dropped right to bottom of heat box. what the child was doing holding an expensive ring no idea!!!

that was on an s max

I bet he was in a good mood!

Lol!  On one of the 306s I stripped for parts, it'd obviously had a matrix change as most of the dash fixings were broken, however the new matrix was also leaking (partly why I bought it cheap!)...usually id just scrap the whole heater box, they all had semi climate (more than I can say for the focus! :sad: ) so didn't sell but was interested to see what had happened...pulled the matrix out and found a pound coin wedged in it, with a crack in the bottom of the heater box as well.  Looks like someone had just rammed the matrix in when it got stuck on the coin rather than pulling it out and checking! :laugh:

Wondered how a coin would accidentally fall down the vent but I suppose that was probably a child as well! :lol:

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol!  On one of the 306s I stripped for parts, it'd obviously had a matrix change as most of the dash fixings were broken, however the new matrix was also leaking (partly why I bought it cheap!)...usually id just scrap the whole heater box, they all had semi climate (more than I can say for the focus! :sad: ) so didn't sell but was interested to see what had happened...pulled the matrix out and found a pound coin wedged in it, with a crack in the bottom of the heater box as well.  Looks like someone had just rammed the matrix in when it got stuck on the coin rather than pulling it out and checking! :laugh:

Wondered how a coin would accidentally fall down the vent but I suppose that was probably a child as well! :lol:

Can you imagine the conversation...no "Little Jimmy" you're not getting any Christmas or Birthday presents off mummy or daddy for the next 3 years....why daddy?...to pay for the f***ing garage to remove the dash, remove the toy/coin and fit a new heater matrix you little s**t! :biggrin: lol

• Haha 1

Ford Premium long life anti-freeze turned up so I've connected up the new matrix to cooling loop, only hiccup was the locking fittings on the flex pipes that connect to the aluminium matrix pipes had both lost a clip/tang so wouldn't seal properly.  Fortunately the used matrix I bought also came (purely by chance) with the black flexi pipes so a quick swap of the pipes, more filling of anti-freeze and I finally have heating in my car again for the 1st time since last summer (just in time to for Winter and the daily 1 hour commute on the M1) :biggrin:

• Like 3