Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the difference between a major service and a minor service?

BoopBoop

Hey guys,

I have had my 64 plate fiesta 1.0l ecoboost for 3 years and its now time for its first major service. Ive searched around the internet but I cant find a definitive answer so I thought I would ask my question here:

What is the difference (apart from cost) between a major and a minor service?

Usually It costs around £215 for a minor service and Ive been told the major will be £315. I wanted to know what the extra £100 includes. Also,  I have spoken to a local garage that I used to take my old car before I got bought the fiesta and they said a service would be around £240 so Im 50/50 where to take it at the moment.

Every time I have taken my car for an MOT/service ford have been excellent so Im partially tempted to take it to Ford.

Do you think its beneficial to take it to Ford?

Thanks for your help!

A major service will include:-

oil change

oil filter change

Fuel filter change

Air filter change

Spark plug change

Levels topped up (you can do this yourself but the garage tricks you into thinking they are doing something amazing) lol

A minor service will include :-

Spark plug change

oil filter change

Levels topped up

The price for parts for a major service will come to about £50

price for a minor service parts will come to about £20

My advice, buy a haynes manual (£20) and buy a full service kit for your car from eBay, then do it yourself, youll be suprised just how easy it is and save you a fortune, the prices you have been quoted are ridiculous

Interesting.

You make no reference to brake pads, etc.
Are they not included in a service?

What about such things as timing belt/chains? Are they not part of regular 'major' service?

Brake pads will be checked during a service, if found to be low they will advise you that they need changing, at futher cost to yourself.  Same with tyres. 

The 1.0 Ecoboost uses a cambelt that runs in oil which should last a while, can't remember the exact interval but I think it's 125k/12 years so nothing to worry about for a while!  Again it's more of an extra rather than something included a major service.

I don't think a minor service includes spark plugs but otherwise I agree with Martin.

go on ford etis and print off each check sheet , one for 12.5k and one for 37.5k

• Like 1

Me and my dad when servicing our cars once a year we do (both of us have diesels): 

Diesel filter 

Air filter 

Cabin filter 

oil change 

I might of missed something but I know we don't touch discs, coolant, brake fluid, glow plugs once a year. My dad doesn't trust garages as they could skip somethings out or not take as much care. My neighbour took his wife's car to a garage for servicing and my dad noticed they didn't change the air filter. The previous owner said he recently serviced my fiesta before I bought it and we noticed when we did our own service that the air filter looks like it hadn't been changed recently. He could of done a minor service like mentioned which I would be happy about rather than him lieing but I'll never know. I also found that the diesel pump hadn't been changed for 6 years. Probably because it can sometimes make the car difficult to start. 

2 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Me and my dad when servicing our cars once a year we do (both of us have diesels): 

Diesel filter 

Air filter 

Cabin filter 

Oil change 

I might of missed something but I know we don't touch discs, coolant, brake fluid, glow plugs once a year. My dad doesn't trust garages as they could skip somethings out or not take as much care. My neighbour took his wife's car to a garage for servicing and my dad noticed they didn't change the air filter. The previous owner said he recently serviced my fiesta before I bought it and we noticed when we did our own service that the air filter looks like it hadn't been changed recently. He could of done a minor service like mentioned which I would be happy about rather than him lieing but I'll never know. I also found that the diesel pump hadn't been changed for 6 years. Probably because it can sometimes make the car difficult to start. 

no oil filter? lol

• Like 1

the 1.0 ecoboost may only use 3 spark plugs but they are expensive. 

eurocar parts list them at £18.99 each!! not that i would buy them from there, cheaper elsewhere but no way your getting oil, oil filter, air filter, odour filter and spark plugs for £50 

Yes lol I forgot oil filter. My dad does most of the work so I don't get a proper recaclection of what's done.

Had the glow plugs done when I bought the car as it would smoke white smoke for a few seconds and not idle smoothly until it's driven. Unfortunately this didn't sort the problems so now have a suspicion it's a leaking injector. I wouldn't recommend doing the glow plugs or at least do them once for the time you own the car. It took my dad 3 - 4 to take out all glow plugs. There located on the back of the 1.6 duratorq engine plus you have that risk of them breaking. 

59 minutes ago, iantt said:

eurocar parts list them at £18.99 each!!

That's alright Ian, you just gotta wait for the 35% off sale they do every other minute. Then snap them up lol

21 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

Oil change

Oil filter change

Fuel filter change

Air filter change

Spark plug change

Levels topped up (you can do this yourself but the garage tricks you into thinking they are doing something amazing) lol

Spark plug change

Oil filter change

Levels topped up

My advice, buy a haynes manual (£20) and buy a full service kit for your car from ebay, then do it yourself, youll be suprised just how easy it is and save you a fortune, the prices you have been quoted are ridiculous

Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this :)

I thought the price was a little high too and also the car doesn't get driven too much (4k miles a year or less) so its probably not immediately neccessary.

I was thinking about the possibility of doing it myself and would probably have little issue with changing filters/sparkplugs etc but an oil change may be difficult.

Having the service stamp in the book is a nice thing to have as well.

pay for the minor / basic service - to get the service stamp in your handbook and because oil changes on the driveway are messy at the best of times , then fit the major service items yourself - eg spark plugs , air & fuel filters to save a shed load of cash on the supply &  fitting of the easy bits.  

and at 3 years old your car will be due an aircon  re-gas and brake fluid change if you've not had either done during  your ownership

other items you could  incorporate into a DIY service include greasing / lubing door & bonnet locks and hinges , replacement of keyfob batteries  and Wiper Blades ,  flush and refill of coolant / antifreeze.

all of which are simple and low cost jobs a dealership will charge an arm & leg for..........

stuff like worn tyres and brakes will be flagged up at MOT time so just replace whenever recommended

6 minutes ago, iantt said:

Thank you for taking the time to help me out and for linking the service schedule, its a massive help.

Looking through it, the £315 quote sounds a little steep and I could do a lot of it myself.

the spark plugs are smaller than the normal ones so if your going to do plugs then make sure you get the right sized spark plug socket. 

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2017 at 7:12 PM, iantt said:

the spark plugs are smaller than the normal ones so if your going to do plugs then make sure you get the right sized spark plug socket. 

Do you happen to know the exact type of socket I should get for the 1.0 ecoboost spark plugs? Can't seem to find a clear answer. Confused by the fact some mm sizing is UK and some is Euro and they're not the same - or something? And also heard it's a double-hex, but it looks like a normal hex to me.. :wacko:

The spark plugs of the 1.0 ECOboost require a 14 mm or 9/16 Inch thin wall spark plug socket.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 5:12 PM, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

Oil change

Oil filter change

Fuel filter change

Air filter change

Spark plug change

Spark plug change

Oil filter change

Levels topped up

My advice, buy a haynes manual (£20) and buy a full service kit for your car from ebay, then do it yourself, youll be suprised just how easy it is and save you a fortune, the prices you have been quoted are ridiculous

Not all garages stick to this as i have been had,never changed my fuel filter or plugs as said i only did very,very low miles so not worth it.

I only found out when i looked at the things done when i got home so got onto them about it so taken it back and they did it,charged the same.

This was a few years ago now.

For a 3 year old car worth £8000 I would have a dealer (or trusted garage) do it, If you have a full Ford service history and you have a problem in a few months much more likely to get help with Ford if you have all the stamps.

From the ETIS 1.0 EcoBoost 37500 mi service schedule:

With wheels on, check brake pads and discs for wear. Check rear brake drums - in case of abnormal fluid loss, a separate order is required to investigate and rectify. (More often under severe duty conditions).

Does this mean they simply look at your brake discs and pads for a couple of seconds through the spokes of the wheel?!

Wow! I will be getting just an interim in April then!! 

I could do it all myself, however, I really don't want to do the oil change in our shared residential parking area... Might get some unhappy neighbours 

10 minutes ago, dansallis said:

I could do it all myself, however, I really don't want to do the oil change in our shared residential parking area... Might get some unhappy neighbours 

I've done full services etc, even clutch and cambelt changes in our car park with no complaints...  As long as you keep it clean and tidy I don't see a problem.  Put some paper or card on the floor as extra protection from spills if possible. 

• Like 1