Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on fault with my Focus

Your Honour

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and wondered if I could get some advice on a fault I'm currently having with my Focus. After doing some research I have found that the issue I am experiencing is probably the common issue with the instrument cluster, but just wanted to get some fresh advice and confirm this if possible.

The issue I am having is when I am starting the car sometimes the car will not turn over, I am told this is probably the immobiliser? To get round that issue I can either tab the top of the dash or push into the plastic on the cluster and it comes back on. Once I am driving all the lights will flash up on the dash, all needles drop and do not move, also the mileage dialog box shows no miles, again I can get these back as previously mentioned but this doesn't last very long.

Often most of the lights on the dash will go off and the needles and mileage will come back but 2 lights will remain, when it does this the car drives really sluggish. I have attached pictures if this helps. I have found this company that I can send it off to for repair:

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/repair/model/ford-focus-instrument-cluster-speedo-mk2

Anyone used these or encountered this issue that give me any advice on this?

Cheers.

20170401_130145.jpg

20171025_085458.jpg

What you've described, sounds like the IC problem to a tee.  I've not got any experience with that company, although they have been going for a good few years and with the internet being as it is I would have thought word would have got around if they were really bad.  The fix is relatively basic fault finding/soldering if you have the right equipment so there are quite a few people/companies offering this type service (not just for Ford IC's).

There's even quite a few on eBay offering this service more cheaply.  Just done a quick search and item 182825352927 links to a user/seller that has 100% positive feedback from a number of buyers who have used the Ford IC repair service, it's also only £49 :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your help, I have found the eBay listing and it is nearly £100 cheaper than I have been quoted by a place local to me. Think I might give these guys a go. I can report back if this resolves if people would be interested.

11 minutes ago, Your Honour said:

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your help, I have found the eBay listing and it is nearly £100 cheaper than I have been quoted by a place local to me. Think I might give these guys a go. I can report back if this resolves if people would be interested.

No worries mate, it's always nice/helpful if people post back with a resolution.

With how many Focus have been sold in the UK over the years, even a problem that only affects 1% of cars will add up to thousands and this forum in particular can often be more helpful/knowledgeable than Ford themselves! (and we don't charge £80 p/hour labour either) :whip:

I'd check all fuses and relays are seated properly before buying parts.

17 minutes ago, RSpilla said:

I'd check all fuses and relays are seated properly before buying parts.

Good advice generally but the above seems to tick every box for the infamous IC issue and if a loose fuse/relay was causing the IC to misbehave, smacking the top of dash above the cluster wouldn't make any difference (which it does accord to the op).  At least these days there are plenty of long standing companies that can repair it at a fraction of the cost of getting Ford to fit and code a new IC.

About 4 years ago someone I know got rid of a lovely MK2 (might have been a MK2.5)Titanium in magnum grey because they didn't know you could get the IC repaired and Ford wanted ££££ to fit/code a new IC.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I finally got round to getting this sorted. :laugh:

The guy in the listing above sorted this problem for me and I  had my IC back within 5 days, highly recommend. 

• Like 2

Nice one, glad it was the "less expensive" fix and thanks for posting back with a resolution.

Noting worse on an active forum where people try to help and the Op just disappears without reporting back on what fixed their issue.

No worries, thanks for your help. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club