Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Plug In Heater Recommendations

TomsFocus

So, as we're heading towards winter now, I'm looking into this again.  Haven't got heating on yet but it's getting close!

I've currently got a large storage heater in the main room (studio flat) but it's just not efficient, it's too hot at night, cold during the day, or too hot when the sun streams through the windows on sunny days, it's located at the opposite end of the room to my chair and costs quite a bit to run.  I'm not a fan of it if you couldn't guess... :laugh: There's no gas here so electric is the only option.

I'm considering getting a plug in to sit next to my chair and use as and when it's needed.  But I don't know which type is best?  Needs to be fairly cheap to buy and run, fairly quick at gaining and losing heat and ideally have a decent length cable.  Don't think I want one with a fan due to noise so was thinking oil filled maybe...

Any recommendations?  Or ones to avoid?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Even the cheap ones at Argos work and do what it says on the tin. The heating in my flat is also mediocre, so been using two Argos electric heaters for most of the time, cheaper to run too.

As you said, avoid buying a model equipped with a fan, they are noisy and annoying, and don't really heat up a room much quicker than one without a fan.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Are yours oil filled or panel heaters?  What wattage?  I'm looking at something like this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/hd907-7q-freestanding-oil-filled-radiator-1500w/7166p

Oops, one of them is from Argos, the other is from amazon, just remembered.

The amazon one is 1500W, and is oil filled: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016BZWPSM/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A1AFJESMA8SCN6

The argos one is a simple 2000w convection heater (i call it a toaster lol), bought it from Argos. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7254220

If you live in a tiny studio, and that is all you need to heat up, 1500W should be sufficient, unless you have pretty bad insulation (or lack thereof) in your flat (e.g. EPC rating D/E or lower). Might be better to be on the safe side and buy a 2000W model, you can always run it at a lower setting.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 5:48 PM, TomsFocus said:

So, as we're heading towards winter now, I'm looking into this again.  Haven't got heating on yet but it's getting close!

I've currently got a large storage heater in the main room (studio flat) but it's just not efficient, it's too hot at night, cold during the day, or too hot when the sun streams through the windows on sunny days, it's located at the opposite end of the room to my chair and costs quite a bit to run.  I'm not a fan of it if you couldn't guess... :laugh: There's no gas here so electric is the only option.

I'm considering getting a plug in to sit next to my chair and use as and when it's needed.  But I don't know which type is best?  Needs to be fairly cheap to buy and run, fairly quick at gaining and losing heat and ideally have a decent length cable.  Don't think I want one with a fan due to noise so was thinking oil filled maybe...

Any recommendations?  Or ones to avoid?

Cheers!

From previous experience mate; I would avoid sitting next to a heater because you can get fond of the radiance quite quickly which will cost you alot on electricity.

Here's an economical option; there highly regarded costs 70% less to run and can be painted to match the wall colour.

https://purchase.ie/product/energy-saving/eco-panel-heater 

Alternatively here's the electric range of Milano radiators from best heating, I've got these Milano radiators fitted throughout my house connected to my oil boiler but the radiators are identical in electric form with  the same outstanding output compared to standard connector type radiators 👍

https://www.bestheating.ie/electric-heating/electric-designer-radiators.html 

20171026_105035.thumb.jpg.a157662b4c707b862054ed77834e842a.jpg

20171026_105110.thumb.jpg.add40d8c7fe611953343117bbd681e8f.jpg

20171025_171107.thumb.jpg.01fc5951a6cf7b73885883aa460ed1e1.jpg

20171025_171027.thumb.jpg.513bc33052818dd17eb10103be6e80a4.jpg

20171025_133142.thumb.jpg.de0acd224ab7576d46905f8ecaf1b16a.jpg20171025_133155.thumb.jpg.10401237676dbaaf8c0db3002172a3ba.jpg20171024_151122.thumb.jpg.d7a5da0b320d7185bea0bcdc4818582d.jpg20160821_135924.thumb.jpg.5d88dcc6f96f592a05855cc53d8f158b.jpg20160727_154102.thumb.jpg.16e7a5f24d11f48d141647e62d8880ce.jpg20160728_103400.thumb.jpg.221f92ff2de140fba9cef806d863c18c.jpg20160728_103412.thumb.jpg.d86b3c104fb5aba0713a0a4d2039a453.jpg

May I also recommend fitting a TimeGuard switch either the plug in filter version; 

Plug In Time version:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timeguard-TGBT6-Plug-In-Countdown-Timer-Boost-Time-Switch-2hr-1hr-1-2hr-1-4hr/162707926815 

Plug In Thermostat vesion:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timeguard-TRT05-Electronic-Plug-In-Thermostat-ET05-Temperature-Controller/282272345471 

Or hard wired version; 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Timeguard-TGBT4-Electronic-Boost-Timer-3-KW-White/1040172358 

The Fused spur version basically has a 13A fuse same as a plug top but hard wired instead of plug:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timeguard-2-Hour-Electronic-Boost-Timer-Fused-Spur-FBT4/322787775228 

I've got both types and highly recommend them, I've got one time version on my immersion switch and the plug in one is on the kids television aswell as the clothes iron in the kitchen 

20171029_093249.thumb.jpg.9cf43539c9e80a89c8ec114ea1d255f5.jpg

Radiator foil is also good stuff; I've used it before on the original radiators which reflects the head out to the room instead of soaking in to the wall

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-M-RADIATOR-HEAT-BACK-REFLECTOR-FOIL-INSULATION-FILM-ADHESIVE-ENERGY-SAVING-860/331091481634 

IMG_20150430_195000_zpsf9ktrpdb.thumb.jpg.61c50dab9dd450c31fa3f0b5abe9378a.jpgIMG_20150508_122525_zpsztjkrsxz.thumb.jpg.c72205f9e5c535ee93c723e38b772d75.jpgIMG_20150508_171721_zpsebrzypxo.thumb.jpg.becded0df839fe7864245c1a0181ae31.jpg20161004_200955_zps7hvhewvb_edit_1475608607065_zpssvntplyc.jpg.8dcf2b27a815789877ddaa75256f7768.jpg

Another factor to consider is moisture in the air; because the more moisture the more difficult it is to retain heat in the space,

Try fitting a dehumidifier and replace the tablet disc as they deteriorate, the deterioration process will slow down as the moisture levels drop and your heating bill will also begin to drop as the space retains the heat much better, here's a cost effective unit from Unibond doesn't use any fans or electricity, will save you time on heading up the space aswell as money.

link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIBOND-AERO-360-PURE-MOISTURE-ABSORBER-DEHUMIDIFIER-SYSTEM-DEVICE-REFILL/253162863536 

164968_info_panel.thumb.jpg.b7ff13145031e847ed3ee494cdcf7cbc.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2017 at 7:45 PM, Incontro said:

Even the cheap ones at Argos work and do what it says on the tin. The heating in my flat is also mediocre, so been using two Argos electric heaters for most of the time, cheaper to run too.

As you said, avoid buying a model equipped with a fan, they are noisy and annoying, and don't really heat up a room much quicker than one without a fan.

I have 2 of these from argos the £24.99 ones with 3 setting and timer and is great,we live in a 3 bedroom house but only live upstairs as i look after my dad who is elderly.

Gas central heating was a killer heating all the house and only need 3 rooms at the most upstairs needed so gas central heating only comes on for 2 hours in the morning before

we get up and then these 2 heaters i use from Argos and there spot on,no fan and lower setting is 750 then 1250 and 2000 but 750 is a nice low warm flow and very cheap.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, have ordered one now. :smile:  3 settings up to 1500w, oil filled, £24 delivered from eBay.  Think the postman will struggle getting it in the postbox though. :laugh: 

The flat isn't all that small for a studio, not sure of exact size but you could easily fit 6-7 double beds in the living/bed room so it's quite a large space to heat, loft insulation is pretty good and it's post 2000 built so presumably reasonable wall insulation as well.  French doors are a bit draughty but they're not mine to change, so have done the best I can with some draught proofing...they're south facing so do help heat the room when the sun is out and obviously nice to open in the summer so bit of a compromise really.  Kitchen is separate so that door is mostly kept closed in winter unless oven or dryer is on. Bathroom has a small storage heater (seems daft, I'd have used a fan heater in there if I was building the place!) but being a small room it doesn't cost much too keep it warm as long as I keep the door closed.

Lenny, thanks for that fantastic reply, it's a rented flat though so I can't really change anything except add a portable heater, I don't have the budget for much more than that either lol!  It's all useful advice for if I do ever get my own place though, I like squeezing as much value for money out of things as I can! :biggrin:  I'm not a huge fan of being hot, so having it near my chair should mean I turn it off/down when it reaches a nice temp, rather than the storage heater which had to be turned up high to get the heat to my end of the room and obviously no immediate control over it when I eventually got too hot.  This will be my 3rd winter here, electric bill has tripled over winter months the last 2 years so will be interesting to see if there's much difference with an oil filled, hopefully it will at least pay for itself over the 4 months or so that it'll be used.

• Like 2

Do you have curtains over the French doors? You'd be surprised how much they can cut down on the cold air/draught. You can get insulated ones for even more savings. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Do you have curtains over the French doors? You'd be surprised how much they can cut down on the cold air/draught. You can get insulated ones for even more savings. 

Yeah there are curtains there, don't want them closed during the day though, I'm too nosey for that. :laugh: 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Turvey said:

Triple Glazed French doors are completely draught free 👍

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, Lenny said:

Triple Glazed French doors are completely draught free 👍

Are windows going the same way as razors?  It won't be long before they bring out the 'best ever' Octuple Glazing, much better than the draughty old Septuple glazing of 2 years before... :lol:  Tbh the draughts in mine come from the frames rather than the glass anyway lol.

Just thought I'd update this...  1500w oil filled heater is not effective sadly.  :sad:  Tried last night for 2 hours, sat right next to it and couldn't touch it so the heater works fine, but just doesn't throw out enough heat to even reach the chair about a foot to the side.  And can only be felt directly above for about 2 foot.  Tried again this morning as temp was 14.9c in here when I got up, but still hasn't raised the temp at all.  Gonna have to resort to the storage heater again I think.  Was worth a try though!

What about an oil filled radiator with a fan? I've no experience with them but surely moving the warm air about will warm up the room quicker. 

• Like 1

I've got a convector with a fan built into the storage heater for a quick boost, but it eats electricity and makes so much noise I don't use it unless I'm on the brink of Hypothermia... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Are windows going the same way as razors?  It won't be long before they bring out the 'best ever' Octuple Glazing, much better than the draughty old Septuple glazing of 2 years before... :lol:  Tbh the draughts in mine come from the frames rather than the glass anyway lol.

Just thought I'd update this...  1500w oil filled heater is not effective sadly.  :sad:  Tried last night for 2 hours, sat right next to it and couldn't touch it so the heater works fine, but just doesn't throw out enough heat to even reach the chair about a foot to the side.  And can only be felt directly above for about 2 foot.  Tried again this morning as temp was 14.9c in here when I got up, but still hasn't raised the temp at all.  Gonna have to resort to the storage heater again I think.  Was worth a try though!

Try using a dehumidifier for a while, nothing electrical or too expensive, Try the unibond dehumidifier to take moisture from the air, this will make it easier to heat the room aswell as more efficient. 

The dehumidifier will also show you how much moisture was in your space which sounds like there's quite a bit when the heater isint quite as it should be.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, Lenny said:

Try using a dehumidifier for a while, nothing electrical or too expensive, Try the unibond dehumidifier to take moisture from the air, this will make it easier to heat the room aswell as more efficient. 

The dehumidifier will also show you how much moisture was in your space which sounds like there's quite a bit when the heater isint quite as it should be.

Any idea what sort of humidity I should be aiming for?  It's 50-60% in here and I thought that was about right?  I leave my Nans flat with a sore throat and feeling like death as she has it so hot and dry in there, don't want to cause the same here. 

In other news, the storage heater heats the space fine at the minute, steady 19c over the last few days, but it is about 4 times the size of the oil filled and I'd guess twice the wattage...  My free electric monitor has packed up though so can't see how much it's using atm...  :unsure: 

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Any idea what sort of humidity I should be aiming for?  It's 50-60% in here and I thought that was about right?  I leave my Nans flat with a sore throat and feeling like death as she has it so hot and dry in there, don't want to cause the same here. 

In other news, the storage heater heats the space fine at the minute, steady 19c over the last few days, but it is about 4 times the size of the oil filled and I'd guess twice the wattage...  My free electric monitor has packed up though so can't see how much it's using atm...  :unsure: 

Ideal humidity in winter should be around 35~45% 

If you have a cloths horse; this will contribute to moisture levels,

May I suggest using an efergy WiFi control switch, this will also show you costs and enable you to set up a time clock function aswell as control it from anywhere in the world, 

I'e got two of these and used one on the kids party bouncing castle for a party once, i mainly have one on the fish tank light and another on the PlayStation to prevent my son from ejecting the disc link: https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/plugssocketsswitches/domesticplugsswitchessockets/adapters/efergyegosmartwifisockethomecontroller

20160905_124802_zpsgjgmwqoh_edit_1473078199782_zps38x8z1i9.thumb.jpg.70768c329904c92242c9e8331fdbb54c.jpg

20160905_124830_zpsxkpmnirj_edit_1473078158114_zpsofc79s25.thumb.jpg.c197533c86632f309ebd2267a6631cd9.jpg

Screenshot_2016-09-22-18-41-11_zpsvkziaxqj.thumb.png.dc083e7d6d2ab4792819dc09359fd496.png

• Thanks 1

Oh right, that is lower than I thought!  I do use a clothes horse yeah, and boil veg regularly as well, which is when it peaks at about 60%.  

The storage heaters are hardwired with just a fuse plate so couldn't use a plug in monitor unfortunately.  I'm keeping an eye out for any energy companies giving away free clamp monitors again...with most people moving on to Smart Meters in the UK there should be a surplus of the old style monitors lol!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club