Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aux Drive Belt

sonic113

Hey fellas

just about to tackle the timing belt and decided to renew the aux belt when I'm at it. I got this one from a part number at ford https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_drive_belt_kit_16l_zetec_and_16_duratec_petrol_2007_f_1708273.htm

are these easy to slip on and I was expecting it just to have the belt on its own but see that this has extra stuff any ideas what they are for?

Cheers

Sonic

8 hours ago, sonic113 said:

Hey fellas

just about to tackle the timing belt and decided to renew the aux belt when I'm at it. I got this one from a part number at ford https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_drive_belt_kit_16l_zetec_and_16_duratec_petrol_2007_f_1708273.htm

are these easy to slip on and I was expecting it just to have the belt on its own but see that this has extra stuff any ideas what they are for?

Cheers

Sonic

No idea Sonic. It's not a tensioner is it?  When i did mine (1.6 tdci) about 6 months ago it was a relatively straightforward job. 

6 hours ago, stef123 said:

Those are fitting tools. 

I thought that but was not 100% sure lol!. are they really needed? also does anyone know if this belt can be got a little cheaper anywhere? I was thinking it would be around the £15 mark, :ohmy:

You do realise that's both belts? That's a fair price.

Strictly speaking the tools are not needed - I have done it with screwdrivers in the past without damage but I seriously do not recommend you try this!

i use a wedge shape 'universal' tool which does work but a bit of a fiddle. 

• Like 4

I've got a tiny crowbar tool bought from the poundshop about 5 years ago, fits stretchy belts really well without the proper tools lol!

You can buy the belts cheaper on thier own if you check the belt size, but make sure you get stretch belts as they're not the same as normal ones.

• Like 1

Are these the same belts as fitted to the 1.8 Duratec HE engine ?

Are these the same belts as fitted to the 1.8 Duratec HE engine ?

no

22 hours ago, iantt said:

no

Cheers Ian, don't happen to know which type I need ?

i should have said yes and no.

yes there stretchy belts, but no , not the same belts as fitted to 1.6

• Haha 1

On 29/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, stef123 said:

You do realise that's both belts? That's a fair price.

Strictly speaking the tools are not needed - I have done it with screwdrivers in the past without damage but I seriously do not recommend you try this!

i use a wedge shape 'universal' tool which does work but a bit of a fiddle. 

ooops Sorry I thought that was for one belt. I haven't actually looked into it properly as I have been flat out busy with other things at home so i just got the timing belt kit from ford and I'm ready to install but wanted to get new aux belts as well to renew them when I'm at it. 

Yeah that's a good price for the whole kit (2 belts and fitting tools), I will pick that one up.

Thanks

Also since i will be replacing the water pump as well can any one recommend a good antifreeze?

cheers

Fords own antifreeze is designed to last 10 years, but does cost over £20 for 5 litres... :ohmy:

I chose the Triple QX stuff from ECP/CP4L instead, designed to last 5 years but I won't still have the Focus by then, tbh I'll be surprised if it's still on the road, but it's so simple to change anyway.

• Like 1

I hope your buying a genuine pump too, my advice would be to make sure it comes with new bolts - if not then get them. 

I had a close shave one day when one of the bolts stretched and snapped! So from now on its new bolts too lol. 

Not a kick in the backside off £100 for the pump, gasket and bolts. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sonic113 said:

ooops Sorry I thought that was for one belt. I haven't actually looked into it properly as I have been flat out busy with other things at home so i just got the timing belt kit from ford and I'm ready to install but wanted to get new aux belts as well to renew them when I'm at it. 

Yeah that's a good price for the whole kit (2 belts and fitting tools), I will pick that one up.

Thanks

Also since i will be replacing the water pump as well can any one recommend a good antifreeze?

cheers

Do you know the Ford part number for the timing belt kit and how much did it cost?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stef123 said:

I hope your buying a genuine pump too, my advice would be to make sure it comes with new bolts - if not then get them. 

I had a close shave one day when one of the bolts stretched and snapped! So from now on its new bolts too lol. 

Not a kick in the backside off £100 for the pump, gasket and bolts. 

100% Stefan agree, I got the genuine ford kit with the new pump and bolts to go. also plan on getting a new crank and 2 new cam bolts as well. Would it better to also stick some instant gasket on the pump seal when doing it or would it be fine when tightened up?

17 hours ago, kingsblue said:

Do you know the Ford part number for the timing belt kit and how much did it cost?

hey chris, yes the kit numver is 1780142 and includes the timine belt,tensioner and pump, gasket and bolts all for £116 which is a fantastic price vs my local ford parts department. Here is a link and delivery is pretty quick as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-C-Max-Mondeo-Focus-Fiesta-Timing-Cam-Belt-Kit-Water-Pump-1780142/162205729798?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_14_and_16_duratec_timing_belt_and_water_pump_kit_f_1780142_c_589.htm

Hope this helps

cheers :smile:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sonic113 said:

100% Stefan agree, I got the genuine ford kit with the new pump and bolts to go. also plan on getting a new crank and 2 new cam bolts as well. Would it better to also stick some instant gasket on the pump seal when doing it or would it be fine when tightened up?

doesn't need it, goes on dry. 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2017 at 5:38 PM, stef123 said:

doesn't need it, goes on dry. 

cheers stefan

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club