Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance for my 2014 1ltr Zetec S

LJAM

Hi all, 

So I'm a 17-year-old lad and I passed my test today (hooray) apart from the fact that I am trying to find an insurance company that will offer me a quote without a black box! As a couple of my mates (including one with the 140bhp version ST line fiesta) havn't got a box. I don't mind paying over £2000 for it, yet most places ive called have all said they will only offer a black box. Does anyone know any good insurance companies I could try or perhaps black boxes which are more lenient?

regards,

Luke

33 minutes ago, LJAM said:

Hi all, 

So I'm a 17-year-old lad and I passed my test today (hooray) apart from the fact that I am trying to find an insurance company that will offer me a quote without a black box! As a couple of my mates (including one with the 140bhp version ST line fiesta) havn't got a box. I don't mind paying over £2000 for it, yet most places ive called have all said they will only offer a black box. Does anyone know any good insurance companies I could try or perhaps black boxes which are more lenient?

regards,

Luke

Get a black box for your first year. Otherwise you’ll just be tempted to rag it all the time and your most likely to get caught out or have an accident in the first few months. 

Most insurers will want about 3 grand plus to insure you without a black box and the excess will be through the roof. Just take it on the chin. 

Also, make sure you’re declaring all the mods that you’ve got as I’ve seen you post your build thread (which I do think looks great) as getting cancelled/voided insurance will cost you in the future.

• Like 1

For my first car I got 2 years back I went for a insurance called ingenie. They offer black box insurance for about £2080. After the first year and getting my first year NCB it halved in price to about £1080 so first year is the most important. Second year it only went to about £900. From then I got my 1.6 fiesta mk6 zetec s and found admiral which only costed £1250 without the black box. From what I've seen admiral are the cheapest for no box insurance for us young drivers. 

I'd agree with idwatson. Best to start off with a black box. You might hate it at first when you get idiots driving over the speed limit in single file traffic and you have to be careful when braking and cornering but you'll get used to it. Honestly when I didn't have to worry about driving restrictions with the fiesta I still have some good habits in me such as not braking hard and not booting it so often. 

• Like 2

congrats on passing the test. I would just go with the black box unless your planning on driving like Lewis Hamilton is it really a bad thing? I would suggest that having the box fitted will probably make you a better driver as your going to be less likely to do something stupid knowing your driving is being monitored. passing your test doesn't mean you're a good driver just that you have learnt enough to continue learning on your own without posing an unacceptable risk to other road users. any gadget that will help you improve your driving skill set should be welcomed in my opinion.

• Like 2

Thankyou all for the replies. I’ve got a quote from a company called Woop, which offered me a black box at £1430 with an excess of £750. Do you think this is a good deal? Never really heard of the company myself but I’ve had a few recommendations for it? 

Kind regards;

luke

If this is your first car which has a engine bigger than 1 litre then that's not bad. Like I said I had to pay 2k for my first car which had a 1 litre petrol engine. Location is a big factor also. I live in London which might be why I pay a lot. 

5 hours ago, LJAM said:

Thankyou all for the replies. I’ve got a quote from a company called Woop, which offered me a black box at £1430 with an excess of £750. Do you think this is a good deal? Never really heard of the company myself but I’ve had a few recommendations for it? 

Kind regards;

luke

I would say that is very reasonable if it includes modifications. Excess will always be high for the first few years just make sure you don't crash.

Have a look at cashback sites such as Quidco or similar, may help bring some insurance down a little but personally, for your specc'd car I would go for that quote.

• Thanks 1

is Woop the insurance company? is it a trading name of a different named insurance company? is it a broker who runs a scheme on behalf of an insurance company.

Often the name you see is not the name of the actual insurance company. The policy wording will reveal who the insurance company is in the small print. Under the rules they have to give you access to the policy wording before you commit so you can see what you are buying (along with a summary of the policy cover).

what happens when you make a claim is not always down to the insurance company, it can be down to the actual employee handling your claim. You could get someone reasonable or a complete wa**er. 

Some insurance companies are registered in Gibraltar (and maybe some other tax havens). I am not sure how this affects your rights if they go bust or you have a dispute with them compared to protection / ombudsman service etc for UK registered insurance companies. Even if it's a name you have heard of it could be their Gibraltar subsidiary company.

The more you look into this stuff the more bewildering it is

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm afraid you'll probably find it impossible to find anything competitive on the insurance front without a black box at the moment. 

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm 18 with a non-fault accident and I’ve got quotes for £2,000 for a Zetec S with Admiral. Before you chose the cheapest quote I’d recommend researching the company first. My last company was very difficult when it came to canceling or transferring my policy and the smaller companies tend to use other companies for claims etc. It made it all very difficult and confusing.

Adam

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club