Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phone compatibility to play music

hudson41

Ive got a 2009 Ford focus zetec s, just bought it. I've connected my phone (Samsung galaxy s8) via bluetooth for calls, and ive connected it to the car with a USB lead hoping to be able to play music, however it says "device not supported" on the cars display screen.

Is there anything I can do to get it to work with my car such as an app or whatever?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

USB is a data connection and no audio connection. When the phone is connected to the radio by USB the phone must act as a Mass Storage Device. When the phone is recognised as a Mass Storage Device the audio folders/files on the phone can be accessed from the radio. Most phones can be set up to act as a Mass Sorage Device by changing settings.

You can also use the bluetooth Audio option. When the phone is connected to the radio by bluetooth and the bluetooth Audio mode is selected the radio will play and control music from the phone.

However You should be aware that the Focus MK2.5 has the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. The list of phones that are officially supported by this system is pretty short and only contains old/ancient phone types. The support for this system stopped back in 2012. Since then the system slowly became outdated. Modern phone types usually have compatibility issues. 

Wouldn't the old combined 3.5 and usb 'Y' cable still be needed in this situation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wouldn't the old combined 3.5 and usb 'Y' cable still be needed in this situation?

What's that mate?

5 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

The old Y-cable is only needed for Ipod/Iphone control. In this situation the Y-cable is only needed on older software versions of the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module. After updating to the latest software version (Ford Audio Update November 2012) the Y-cable was no longer needed.

The Y-cable was never required when using a non-Apple product.

• Like 1

I knew there was a Y cable but couldn't remember the specifications.

The old Y-cable is only needed for Ipod/Iphone control. In this situation the Y-cable is only needed on older software versions of the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module. After updating to the latest software version (Ford Audio Update November 2012) the Y-cable was no longer needed.

The Y-cable was never required when using a non-Apple product.
Can I bot connect my Samsung S8 then?

You should be able to connect your S8 with a normal USB cable. However the phone needs to be in Mass Storage Mode. This can usually be done in the Phone Configuration --> Developer Options --> USB debugging. 

You should also be able to connect your S8 by bluetooth and selecting bluetooth Audio on the radio (press AUX multiple times until bluetooth Audio mode is selected).

Bluetooth Audio may not work 100% correctly. Through the Years the Bluetooth protocols changed a bit. Connecting a (relative) new phone with a radio that has been developed 10 Years ago often results in compatibility issues.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club