Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Condensation in rear lights

naefuse

car went in today for curtain airbag recall and I asked them to check condensation in all rear lights, I have received an email stating that this is not a problem. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it rectified 

Its mentioned in the handbook.  I get it as well. 

It says:

Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps
Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.

Examples of acceptable condensation are:

• The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
  • A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

Examples of unacceptable condensation are:

• A water puddle inside the lamp.
  • Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I had this same problem. I took the rear lights out (only one screw) undid the white bayonet wire plug and popped in a couple of silica bags. This sorted it out quickly and easily. I also leave 4 silica bags at the base of the windscreen on the inside this stops the inside misting up when left outside 🙂

• 1 year later...

Yes, I have the same problem and dealer stated not under warranty because it is considered "trim"  to replace this they want over $1800. 

• 3 weeks later...

I get this every time I wash my car, the rears fog up, in fact my previous car did it, and was told it's a 'characteristic' of the lights/reflectors by the dealer so I didn't even bother mentioning it to the ford dealer.

My previous car was manufactured by Vauxhall/Opel BTW.

I don't get much in the outer rear lights but my centre strip is terrible. Not just condensation actual big drops of water running down it all along its length.

Going to dealer next week to have it replaced under warranty. It is so bad no quibble, dealer just said yup needs replacing.

The new one will probably be the same as its not actually a fault, but, now they've tried to 'fix' it everyone thinks its a fault. It's not the cost its the expectation and the disappointment if the replacement part is actually the same.

One of the reasons Ford, and other manufacturers, mention this in the Manuals.

HTH

H

20190415_172904.thumb.jpg.7f14893a8db23bebdf6622b94d6962de.jpgHamster, I  know for many it isn't a fault, a small amount of condensation is the norm and is acceptable.

However this really isn't acceptable and in my view is a fault:

If it beads into water droplets like you are seeing (and is not just a light vapour mist that will naturally clear), I agree with you that this is not acceptable.

image.thumb.png.4d2ca1b75bf3f91c24399582fc1dbd8d.png

Hi Simon,

I have exactly the same problem and have even tried complaining to customer services to no avail!

The lights are full of water yet the warranty people claimed this to be a "Phenomena" I had even sent photographs of this to prove my point.

Being an engineer by profession, that explanation doesn't hold water (pardon the pun!)

I looked online and it appears to be a problem on both sides of the pond, the difference being is the the US guys are replacing them.

What annoys me is that you have a genuine problem, which is clearly a design fault, yet they choose to completely ignore it.

I have sent my complaint to TMO, The Motoring Ombudsman but have no idea what will happen there.

Ford need to step up on this

2 hours ago, Shaymie53 said:

I have exactly the same problem and have even tried complaining to customer services to no avail!

The lights are full of water yet the warranty people claimed this to be a "Phenomena" I had even sent photographs of this to prove my point.

Being an engineer by profession, that explanation doesn't hold water (pardon the pun!)

I looked online and it appears to be a problem on both sides of the pond, the difference being is the the US guys are replacing them.

What annoys me is that you have a genuine problem, which is clearly a design fault, yet they choose to completely ignore it.

I have sent my complaint to TMO, The Motoring Ombudsman but have no idea what will happen there.

Ford need to step up on this

The text I posted was from the Owners Manual, it's in black and white (and Ford's own words!!). Don't see how any dealer can dispute that. Not only are there a number of cases in the USA that are being replaced, but quite a few in the UK are having theirs changed, some are on their 3rd and 4th sets of rear light clusters!.

As I always say on here ... if you are getting fobbed off by a dealer, when clearly there is a case and others are being sorted ... FIND YOURSELF ANOTHER FORD DEALER AND TAKE IT TO THEM!

• 4 weeks later...

I just washed my new Ford edge and I got out the dry it and I was surprised to see the moisture in my tail lights.  I have owned 7 SUV and I never saw anything like this.  I read many people who has the same problem and I find  unacceptable. For a SUV for $48 thousand I can't believe there's nothing we can do.  

• 3 months later...

I have the condensation similar to @KugaEdge and wondered how easy it would be to remove the light strip across the boot lid to dry it out. Has anyone tried to remove it ?  If so, how as it’s not clear from a first look. 

23 minutes ago, Westville said:

This may help with parts etc:Tailgate lights parts list

Thanks but I don’t want parts, I just want to be able to disassemble and reassemble the parts I’ve already got. 

14 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

Thanks but I don’t want parts, I just want to be able to disassemble and reassemble the parts I’ve already got. 

It shows you the fixings - can't help some people I'll not bother again :wallbash:

• Like 1

I did say thanks. It might well show a picture of a fixing but unless you know how to access the fixing, ie, what unscrews, what is a popper connection, etc, then you can cause quite a bit of damage.  If you don’t fancy helping anyone again, then perhaps a forum of this nature is not for you. 

That`s exactly what I do when dismantling something in workshop that i`m not familiar with.  I call the dealer and get him to email the parts list that`s applicable. I can usually work it out from there.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:32 PM, Edge of Reason said:

I have the condensation similar to @KugaEdge and wondered how easy it would be to remove the light strip across the boot lid to dry it out. Has anyone tried to remove it ?  If so, how as it’s not clear from a first look. 

Take the tailgate internal trim off and the connector and bolts holding the light bar on will be very obvious ...

image.thumb.png.cddb37ef95d3ddddc8c501595da57f4a.png

image.thumb.png.b325cc0308126a9fcd28c4b8696c860d.png

image.thumb.png.36b4f7e49583f4752dd56414d0cab370.png

image.thumb.png.4052de9f0545da23e63030251ebf5034.png

Install in the reverse order!

Excellent Simon. Cheers. 

Well I followed the above and managed to get all the trim off, removed the electrical plugs for the rear camera, registration plate lamps and the LED light bar, then removed the 6 x 10mm nuts to successfully remove the light bar. Only to find that it appears to be a sealed unit, so you can’t get inside to remove the condensation. Ho hum. 🥴

22 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

Only to find that it appears to be a sealed unit, so you can’t get inside to remove the condensation.

Automotive components are usually vented with a breathable Gortex gauze to prevent visible moisture (i.e. water) from entering (this is the expensive design option), yet allows any condensation to dry out. Its unusual (and very poor design practice) to completely seal them. For 2 reasons ... first, if moisture or high humidity is present at manufacture, you seal that in and as external temperate changes the condensation becomes visible and secondly, sealed units don't air freight well! The reduced pressure at altitude tends to cause damage or even breaks seals, seams, etc. So I'm really surprised the light cluster has not got small vent holes on the lower edges! Any component that is 100% sealed is usually filled with an inert gas with near zero moisture content. Again this is extremely unusual/unlikely in automotive because of the high cost!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club