Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5TDCi engine running issues

suddste

Hi,

Back in June I had the 1.5TDCi engine camshaft recall done and software update. After that the engine has been running a bit oddly and using more fuel, there are a lot of dead spots in the accelerator and it feels like it is struggling to boost. It is also DPF regenerating a lot more often I assume because of the extra fuel burn.

The problem is i've checked all the intake air hoses and they seem fine to me, I can't find a hole or hear any air leak sound. Could anyone suggest any ways of finding the fault before I take it to Ford. 

Could it be the software update that the EGR did not calibrate properly or something? I tried resetting EGR adaptations with ForScan but it keeps showing errors when resetting. 

It would be helpful from 1.6TDCi engine owners too if they have had a similar issue as it is a very similar engine.

Thanks.

Suddste 

The 1.6TDCi was not affected by this issue, and while they are a similar engine, they aren't the same.

Secondly, take it back to Ford. They did the work, they can fix it. You're still under warranty. But be advised, do not mention you've been messing around in Forscan as they will instantly void any warranty on the spot as they will say you caused the issue.

I've had absolutely no running issues with mine since I've had the recall. 

15 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

The 1.6TDCi was not affected by this issue, and while they are a similar engine, they aren't the same.

Secondly, take it back to Ford. They did the work, they can fix it. You're still under warranty. But be advised, do not mention you've been messing around in Forscan as they will instantly void any warranty on the spot as they will say you caused the issue.

I've had absolutely no running issues with mine since I've had the recall. 

I guess i'll take it back to Ford then, the problem is the recall was done back in June...

Also it feels like something is kicking in and causing this issue, the engine also seems noisier - EGR valve?

13 hours ago, suddste said:

I guess i'll take it back to Ford then, the problem is the recall was done back in June...

Also it feels like something is kicking in and causing this issue, the engine also seems noisier - EGR valve?

Doesn't matter when the recall was. The car is under warranty until 2018 assuming your profile is correct, and so are the new parts.

Have you had your fuel filter changed at service yet? This maybe causing issues too. My MPG dropped until I had mine changed.

Do you do a lot of city start/stop driving as opposed to long A road/M road driving?

• Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 1:06 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

Doesn't matter when the recall was. The car is under warranty until 2018 assuming your profile is correct, and so are the new parts.

Have you had your fuel filter changed at service yet? This maybe causing issues too. My MPG dropped until I had mine changed.

Do you do a lot of city start/stop driving as opposed to long A road/M road driving?

Yes the fuel filter was also changed in this service, I have a dash cam and was interested what they were doing and noticed it stalled right after they did the fuel filter, perhaps could have something to do with it?

1 hour ago, suddste said:

Yes the fuel filter was also changed in this service, I have a dash cam and was interested what they were doing and noticed it stalled right after they did the fuel filter, perhaps could have something to do with it?

It might have just stalled after the fuel filter change because of an airlock, i don't think that's unusual when changing these as I found out when i did my fuel filter on the 1.6tdci.

Okay thanks.

I'm just wondering if this issue was caused as a result of distur bing the air pipes or something. It does suggest a air leak to me

were there any codes showing up when you had forscan connected?

10 minutes ago, iantt said:

were there any codes showing up when you had forscan connected?

Initially yes, they suggested taking the k and n air filter out and using a ford one, then oddly it stopped throwing code's.

The codes when it did throw them were Intake air system leak detected.

ok, so no codes now, what was done for sprocket recall i wouldnt think will affect the running of engine. 

as for pcm update, was it done for a recall too? 

if it was even that shouldnt affect running as its only changing the cranking strategy and not running as far as im aware. 

as its still under warranty get your garage to have a look. make sure you demonstrate the issue you have and explain when it occours, hot , cold where in rev range, part throttle, full throttle etc etc. will help the tech if you put it in writing and leave it on seat. 

you said the work was done in  june? in that case why was the pcm updated? 

37 minutes ago, iantt said:

ok, so no codes now, what was done for sprocket recall i wouldnt think will affect the running of engine. 

as for pcm update, was it done for a recall too? 

if it was even that shouldnt affect running as its only changing the cranking strategy and not running as far as im aware. 

as its still under warranty get your garage to have a look. make sure you demonstrate the issue you have and explain when it occours, hot , cold where in rev range, part throttle, full throttle etc etc. will help the tech if you put it in writing and leave it on seat. 

It occurs at warm or cold, when you start it up in the morning it starts up and idles smoothly for about a second then starts getting rougher and using more fuel, almost like something is kicking in and causing these issues

PCM was updated to address surging issues due to emissions apparently 

seems a bit strange doing an update when you hadnt any issues before?

32 minutes ago, iantt said:

seems a bit strange doing an update when you hadnt any issues before?

Would it have caused this issue? 

pm me your reg number and i will look see what updates they did.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hi guys, chasing a similar problem, i have a high maf reading and black smoke , cold or hot its the same, car runs ok but you can smell the unburnt diesel. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club