Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your Focus tyres of choice

mickyfree

Which make of tyres do you find most suitable for your Focus? I'm in a stage of changing all four so I hope starting this thread might help. I read somewhere (kwikfit maybe) that having the best tyres fitted to your rear wheels are good for the car. Wonder if that is true!?

Which make of tyres do you find most suitable for your Focus? I'm in a stage of changing all four so I hope starting this thread might help. I read somewhere (kwikfit maybe) that having the best tyres fitted to your rear wheels are good for the car. Wonder if that is true!?

The whole front/rear thing is a contentious issue. I've had some dealers say front for new, and others say rear. I'd advise forming your own opinion based on knowledgeable input from people who know about these things.

As for the best tyres, I've found it depends on the tyre size. My ST170 loved 215/45/17 Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres, while my MKII diesel did suffer a little from tram-lining when new ... but they are 225/40/18.

A lot of people really like the Toyo Proxes too, as they are decent and affordable, but in reality, it depends on if you want motorway munching tyres, or something a little sticker for spirited driving.

In my opinion the qualities needed for front tyres on front wheel drives being grip and durability due to constant turning of the vehicle. As for the rear maybe the longevity and noise level.

I wonder if having different front and rear tyres will make a difference on the overall grip of the car..??

I read Toyo are quite good so I might try them. Has anyone ever had Hankooks?

You may have already read it, but if not this might be of interest to you Four bits of rubber between you ...... It also touches on the subject of which axle the best tyres should go on.

You may have already read it, but if not this might be of interest to you Four bits of rubber between you ...... It also touches on the subject of which axle the best tyres should go on.

Good one mate. I tried searching a tyre thread in the forum but I didn't see your post. It's an interesting read. Will look up a bit more on those goodyear tyres!

Good one mate. I tried searching a tyre thread in the forum but I didn't see your post. It's an interesting read. Will look up a bit more on those goodyear tyres!

I've added the Toyo scoring to that research post I put together. Like the Falkens, compared to the Goodyear OptiGrip, they don't come close.

I've added the Toyo scoring to that research post I put together. Like the Falkens, compared to the Goodyear OptiGrip, they don't come close.

The thing is I can't find OptiGrip on most of the websites that I have been on. Only ever see DuraGrip and Efficient Grip.

In my opinion the qualities needed for front tyres on front wheel drives being grip and durability due to constant turning of the vehicle. As for the rear maybe the longevity and noise level.

I wonder if having different front and rear tyres will make a difference on the overall grip of the car..??

I read Toyo are quite good so I might try them. Has anyone ever had Hankooks?

I use two sets of tyres - for summer, I keep using the original tyres -Michelin Primacy and for winter, Continental WinterContact TS810.

Using different makes of tyres would cause uneven driving and be dangerous as the patterns and textures of tyres will be different.

I am not quite pleased with the Michelins, as I feel the car drives not so well and agile in corners, they make me too slow and cautious. There are several tests and comparisons about tyres so you can find and see which one is better through the testing criteria. Some offers comfort, some offers secure handling and some rides better in rain, so it depends on preference.

I use two sets of tyres - for summer, I keep using the original tyres -Michelin Primacy and for winter, Continental WinterContact TS810.

Using different makes of tyres would cause uneven driving and be dangerous as the patterns and textures of tyres will be different.

I am not quite pleased with the Michelins, as I feel the car drives not so well and agile in corners, they make me too slow and cautious. There are several tests and comparisons about tyres so you can find and see which one is better through the testing criteria. Some offers comfort, some offers secure handling and some rides better in rain, so it depends on preference.

This got me thinking. Wouldn't the difference be very minor? At the end of the day all four wheels are making contact to the ground but each contact is independent of another.

This got me thinking. Wouldn't the difference be very minor? At the end of the day all four wheels are making contact to the ground but each contact is independent of another.

Well, certainly I am not an expert on this, but I believe there might be a difference. Not all the tyres are the same and reflect the same quality, otherwise there would not be so many brands and models and their patterns. I personally sense the difference swinging the summer tyres to those of winter's. The former gives a firmer ride and the latter is somewhat tolerant to most bumps and potholes on road.

Well, certainly I am not an expert on this, but I believe there might be a difference. Not all the tyres are the same and reflect the same quality, otherwise there would not be so many brands and models and their patterns. I personally sense the difference swinging the summer tyres to those of winter's. The former gives a firmer ride and the latter is somewhat tolerant to most bumps and potholes on road.

Switching from Summer to Winter tyres is definitely a good practice and can only do good for the car and passengers. Only if I had my own garage or front parking then changing them for the seasons would be no problem, I park on the road :(

The thing is I can't find OptiGrip on most of the websites that I have been on. Only ever see DuraGrip and Efficient Grip.

Well the pricing sounds about right to me £79.30 fitted. And my wife reckons I'm a bit of a tight !Removed!, but that's women for you. But don't think I'm trying to press you into buying any particular tyre, the choice is yours to put what you want on your car.

If you hit the "Fitting Station" icon on the mytyres website, phttp://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9698#op you nearest town in, set to the within 5 miles option. For me it comes up with five garages, one 530 yards away, one 1.7m away, 1.9m and 4.3m away. If you opt to order and pay on line, they deliver your tyres to the garage you have nominated. When they arrive there the garage contacts you to arrange a time of fitting to suit you........simples

As to the discussion regards different tyre brands/ type on different axle's. OK if buying in two's assuming your fronts wear faster than the rears. Yes in that situation, you will have that set of circumstances. But when the old pair need replacing I would opt to match the tyres that you bought previous.

Because if you follow the professional view of always fitting the newest tyres to the rear axle. Your previous new tyres would have been fit on the rear axle, [even if it was the fonts that were replaced] and the existing rears move onto the front axle. When you buy the second set, they to would go on the rear axle, moving the rears to the front axle.

That way your tyre characteristics remain constant [ in that you know what they are capable of] and you also have the tyres wearing evenly over their lifetimes. No way will you have old tyres that have been stuck on a rear axle because they don't wear as fast as the fronts, degrading to a point that they become dangerous. .....................it's that old degrading tyres on the rear axle, more prone to a blow out, that your least likely to be able to cope with ...argument again

Switching from Summer to Winter tyres is definitely a good practice and can only do good for the car and passengers. Only if I had my own garage or front parking then changing them for the seasons would be no problem, I park on the road :(

I see. I don't have a garage either, it's a service provided - tyre dealers here keep your tyres until you claim back any time, for a single fee and with a receipt bearing your license plate number. You don't have to keep them by yourself.

I will not buy anything other than Conti Sport Contact 3 i love them.

Had those on my previous car, a Volvo S40 2.0D SE, they were on when I bought it. It was an ex lease car on a full servicing contract. service log indicated in got 25K out of the originals, and their replacements 205/50 R17 93W Extra Load Conti's. Got to admit they are a fine tyre well worth considering if your on 17" tyres.

My Focus is on 205/55 R16 91V tyres, so it would be on Conti-Sport Contact 2's if I chose to go the Conti route again.

• 1 month later...

i have the toyo@s on mine and they are !Removed! brilliant. only problem is they wear really quickly

Pirelli P6000'S in the warm there brilliant stick like anything but when its cold as i found out the other day they just make the car slide out :blink:

Mike

Pirelli P6000'S in the warm there brilliant stick like anything but when its cold as i found out the other day they just make the car slide out :blink:

Mike

They're pefectly acceptable motorway mile muncher tires, but they are affectionately known as 'ditch-finders' by many. They were good on my Fiesta, but have heard they're not too hot on the Focus.

They're pefectly acceptable motorway mile muncher tires, but they are affectionately known as 'ditch-finders' by many. They were good on my Fiesta, but have heard they're not too hot on the Focus.

What are the best tyres for a focus 1.6 on 16's my dad sudjested the pirellis because hes got a combo of them and sport conti's on his honda and that sticks like glue. Also my mate on his gti pug has P7000's on the back and there fine on that car just on my focus when its below like 8'c theres nothing there at all the car just dosent handle properly (constantly feels like its sliding wide and sometimes does)

Mike

What are the best tyres for a focus 1.6 on 16's my dad sudjested the pirellis because hes got a combo of them and sport conti's on his honda and that sticks like glue. Also my mate on his gti pug has P7000's on the back and there fine on that car just on my focus when its below like 8'c theres nothing there at all the car just dosent handle properly (constantly feels like its sliding wide and sometimes does)

Mike

i use event tyres they are budget very good in the wet and dry corner very very well you do get a bit of road noise through them though but overall they have performed great over the winter months if its budget tyres someone wants ide recommend them as for higher end tyres i would say falken or ecsta tyres

Took the beast around the lanes on the way home today its a cold but dry day here in the freezing cheshire and oh my sweet god i nearly died, these tyres are bloodey awful i was in 5th and 4th all the way through where as in the summer its a 2nd and 3rd gear job in the snow they were pretty good for sports tyres but in these condtions there just crap to anyone out there looking at these tyres there sh*t!

Rant over sorry guys had to put that across lol

Mike

Took the beast around the lanes on the way home today its a cold but dry day here in the freezing cheshire and oh my sweet god i nearly died, these tyres are bloodey awful i was in 5th and 4th all the way through where as in the summer its a 2nd and 3rd gear job in the snow they were pretty good for sports tyres but in these condtions there just crap to anyone out there looking at these tyres there sh*t!

Rant over sorry guys had to put that across lol

Mike

to be honest my cheapies grip great in all conditions except extreme rain where they grip but not grip really great i can whip it round the bends no squeel or understeer etc it just goes last time i spent a packet on tyres i got 2 nails in the front and 4 in the rear from council builders who dropped them on a main road when packing up there stuff 2 new tyres needed and they were only 4 months old

to be honest my cheapies grip great in all conditions except extreme rain where they grip but not grip really great i can whip it round the bends no squeel or understeer etc it just goes last time i spent a packet on tyres i got 2 nails in the front and 4 in the rear from council builders who dropped them on a main road when packing up there stuff 2 new tyres needed and they were only 4 months old

Round here the biggest problems are pot holes so deep you could throw a body in and speed bumps with vertical sides wich are probs hiding body's. Ive got 3 newish ones and one that will need changing before the MOT. The pirelli's are about £70 a corner but i was thinking of having a look at some yokohamma's or how ever you spell it lol.

Mike

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club