Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VIN questions

Hellboy

Hello,

On the 30th September 2017 I bought a 57 plate Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Ghia from a dealer. When I was there I looked over the paperwork and the logbook and matched the VIN to the sticker by the door. I also did a check on the car and nothing came back to say it was stolen or written off.

The new logbook came through with the same vin. I checked on Ford Etis and the vin thats on my logbook matches my car registration. However on the chassis stamp and window stamp is a different vin. I know I should of spotted these. I have checked this also on Ford Etis and it comes back the same car but on a 07 plate. Same colour, engine, fuel and a ghia. There are a few minor differences on the ford etis spec list.

I have also looked back at the MOT history on both cars. The number plate on my car has a history of a MOT done every year from 2011 when the car would of been 3 years old. The MOT was done for 5 years at the same dealership in Yorkshire. It then made its way down to Birmingham where a further 2 more MOT's was done at different garages. The next one is due March 2018.

The also checked the MOT of the VIN which is stamped into my chassis and it had 2 MOTS since 2010. One was in Ashford, Kent and the other was in Gillingham. But since then nothing. The mileages don't match for the first 2 years either.

Now I have done about 1200 miles in it since I bought it and have been through Birmingham city centre and up quite a few motorways and nothing has ever came back to me. I have never been stopped.

I am a bit worried as to what to think about it?

Any help or advice please.

Just spoke to the garage in yorkshire who did the mots and they said the reg thats on my car now is the reg they did the mots on.

Also just found out the the chassis number that is stamped belongs to a car that was written off in 2011 as a cat c

Which VINs are 'wrong' for your car?  When you say window stamp is that one etched into a rear window or the one under the windscreen?  It might have had a window/tailgate broken and replaced for a used one so that wouldn't be a problem.  But I don't understand the other one, the chassis one?

VIN check is actually part of the MOT test, they're meant to check the VINs match but I'm not sure if that actually happens lol.

The vins on the sticker and logbook match my reg. The vin on the chassis under the seat and the one under the windscreen matches a different reg.

Oh ok, a sticker and number plates are easy to change...  

Can you find out what damage was done for the CAT C write off?   I would suggest your car (or at least the chassis) was written off for whatever reason.  And the plates/logbook/sticker were changed to one that wasn't recorded as a write off (note, that one may have been crashed but just never recorded) to sell it as a 'clean' car with no write off history.

ANPR won't pick up the plates so you won't get stopped as they haven't been stolen.  The 'owner' at the time would've had both cars to be able to swap stuff over.

Sounds to me like you have the Cat C write off and they changed the reg and sticker VIN.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Sounds to me like you have the Cat C write off and they changed the reg and sticker VIN.

Can I still drive it?

The MOT certificate vin entry matches the one that is on a sticker and logbook. Not the one on the chassis or windscreen

I'm not sure the MOT testers check the VIN in reality, but they are meant to, it's probably already on the system when the reg number is typed in. 

We can be sure that the chassis of your car is not the one that those plates and logbook originally came with.

I would assume it's illegal to drive a cloned car but it may not be, insurance may be invalid in the event of a crash as well, but don't just take my word for it.  As I said before, you won't get pulled as the plates are genuine, and the car even fits the description with them if the police were following you.  It would only be found if you got pulled by DVSA (VOSA) for a full random stop check tbh.

Maybe ask the DVSA what you should do in the event of finding different VINs on a car...but don't shoot yourself in the foot and tell them the details lol.  The dealer probably bought the car at auction so wouldn't know the history.  

Is it a private name or company owned for the previous owner on the logbook, and how long ago was their transfer?  Might be able to ask them if they're local?

Private name. They acquired the vehicle in March 2016

I have just plugged my laptop in and the vin matches the logbook and sticker

So to clarify

Same vin on logbook, sticker and car ecu
Same vin on chassis and windscreen.

But both are different.

Ah that's a shame it was only 2016 previous owner probably didn't know either then.

Can you find the reason for Cat C on the chassis VIN?  Obviously wasn't chassis damage!

I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of changing the ECU to clone a car.  Unless they changed the clocks to drop the mileage at the same time?  Can you do an MOT history test on the cat C VIN?

Cloned and clocked maybe... :unsure:

Edit - check the engine number against the one on the logbook if you can see it.

Unless the two cars have been merged together?

A bit like cut and shut but without the dodgy welding. Just the chassis of one and parts off another?

Its possible that the logbook/plates car was damaged but not recorded.

Then a written off Shell sourced and some parts swapped over.  Cat C at just 4 years old would have been pretty serious though, so where's the damage to the chassis now?  Front end impact with engine and suspension damage maybe?  And just rear end damage on the logbook car?  Bit lucky if so!

It's also a lot of work to go through for little gain surely!?  

Something weird has definitely happened here!

Definitely contact DVLA & VOSA.
It sounds very fishy to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You bought the car from a dealer.

You are protected by the Consumer Rights Act - the car must be As described - of satisfactory quality - and fit for purpose.

Up to 6 months the dealer has to prove that they met these facts.

Ultimately if the DVLA/DVSA say anything other than, thats fine, or you want to get rid, then take it back to the dealer and stamp your feet. This is something they should have noticed and told you about. Checking the vin programmed into the ECU and other modules may be a good idea.

I checked the vin on the ecu and it cames back as the 57 plates vin. But just took it around a mates house and the chassis vin is not correct. It is on a stainless steel plate that looks like it has been glued on top. No idea whats underneath as I am not touching it. But it could be a the 57 plates vin underneath or a 3rd vehicle.

i would take it back to the  dealer and insist on your money back or you will get dvla involved . bet you get your money back as they wont want dvla snooping round there garage if they know about it. 

I have given them until Friday to come up with a satisfactory resolution.

The car is a ringer and a lazy effort at that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have rang DVLA who want me to write a letter detailing my findings, send in the V5 and all places the VIN is. I Will also send in photos to. But they will take 4 weeks. If the dealer want to resolve it before then what do I do as I don't have the V5?

• Like 1

I don't think you can do both, now DVSA are involved you've got to stick with them, they may want to come and inspect or impound the car if found to be illegal so you can't just give it back to the dealer now.

Their findings should help you get your money back but I realise 4 weeks is a long wait without a car.