Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VIN questions

Hellboy

I have not told DVLA anything yet so they have no idea who I am. I  just rang up to enquire.

Ah, in that case, I'd wait to hear from the garage before sending anything away. :smile:

• Like 1

If you haven't given DVLA reg or anything I'd just get it back to the business that sold it to you and ask for a full refund.

If they won't, then get DVLA involved. Although no doubt if you say that, they'll give you a refund anyway.

• Like 1

Take pictures, and document everything. If you can record phone calls to the dealer, then do so. Keep any emails, documents or text messages.

You could both return the car, and also inform DVSA/DVLA/Trading standards, especially if the dealer does not come up sharpish. They may not have known (and have been duped aswell). If you paid by credit card, then you can also hold them jointly liable (over £100, s. 75).

I think you might have to inform them if you are recording the call.

Could it be possible that my car was stolen. They tried to hide it by changing vin and plates. It got reclaimed and sent back to original owner who had original plates put back on but didn't notice the vin had been changed?

No, being stolen and recovered would show up on the HPI check of your current plates.

No it doesn't I thought that.

https://hpicheck.com/support/faqs#qa-faq1.25

The HPI Check will not provide details of vehicles that have been recorded as stolen but have subsequently been recovered without damage. If the vehicle has been recovered and written off by an insurance company due to the theft, this will be moved from the stolen register and show on the write off/condition alert register.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I think you might have to inform them if you are recording the call.

Nope. Afaik you don't need to inform anyone.

However, if you wish to use the actual recording in court, you would need to ask the judge to allow it. You can create a transcript from the call and use that in any evidence, but not the actual audio.

I stand corrected then! :laugh:

What would be the benefit of putting the VIN of a written off car on a stolen one? 

Also, how is the windscreen vin changed, would they need to remove and replace the screen to do that?  

Did you check the engine number to see if that matches your logbook btw?

51 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I stand corrected then! :laugh:

What would be the benefit of putting the VIN of a written off car on a stolen one? 

Also, how is the windscreen vin changed, would they need to remove and replace the screen to do that?  

Did you check the engine number to see if that matches your logbook btw?

Where is the engine number because I don't have a clue.

Because the written off car has no identity so perhaps it was a way to hide the 57 plate. I don't know really. Also the windscreen has been replaced at one point. Its not a Ford windscreen. Perhaps it was damaged while the car was stolen?

But a written off car does still have an identity, if anyone checked the VIN (or reg plates if they used them) it would show as written off which is just as bad as showing as stolen really.  :unsure:

The engine number will be etched into the engine block somewhere, I'm not totally sure where on yours though, it may not be easily visible after 10 years of rust.  They're often on the front near where the block joins the gearbox, will be on a flat rectangle which stands out against the rest of the block.