Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Blue Lights

ToXIcG

So I have a question,

I always see HGV's with blue lights on the front of the truck, normally in some kind of v shape or something like that.

My question is,

I thought blue lights were only allowed to be used by emergency services?

Maybe @Stoney871 can add his insight.

There is nothing legally preventing blue lights being fitted to the front of your vehicle, as long as they don't dazzle, and as long as they are not classed as obligatory or optional lamps, and as long as they are not designed to resemble beacons or special warning lamps.

Be aware that some Traffic Officers may apply their own discretion on this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

so say for example i had blue/red/ rainbow side lights that would be ok, i was under thew impression it had to be white or yellow.

what about the halos i see, could you drive round with them on solid colors. 

• Like 1

To be fair, my speciality isn't traffic but I'll try to clarify.

Statutory and obligatory lights (any lights a vehicle came out off the production line with or were type approved for various build levels) must be correct-

White / yellow lights to front (except indicators).

Red lights to rear (except reverse, numberplate, indicators).

Basically, any standard light that legally has to be on a vehicle must be correct, as halo's take on the job of sidelight they nust be white / yellow.

Headlights, halos, front fogs, sidelights, drl, plate, reverse must be white (headlights & fogs can be yellow as per French car style), brake, rear fog, tail lights must be red.

Indicators must be amber.

Optional lights can be any colour but must not be used in any manner that could be construed as likely to misrepresent (flashing blue, red, green etc).

Yellow flashing lights are only for notification of hazardous / slow moving / oversize vehicles or for warning of a breakdown etc.

Bear in mind that what I post here is my general understanding / interpretation of vehicle lighting laws, a Traffic Officer that has a far deeper grasp & working knowledge of traffic regs may interpret it all very differently.

• Thanks 2

much apreicated, i now understand. iv seen a few fiestas driving round with halos on solid green/red i think. oh well not my car

Must admit that I have a pet peeve about non standard lights and people that drive around with fog lights on all the time.
Saying that, after seeing a lot of colour changing fog halos and suchlike at Ford Fair this year I have to say that the effect is striking however they can't be legally used on public roads.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club