Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Limp mode after new thermostat housing

bensjamin93

I payed a mechanic to have my clutch and flywheel replaced, When he stripped it down he noticed the thermostat housing was leaking so he replaced the thermostat housing with a second hand one which came from a 2006 peugoet 407 when he called me to pick it up I payed him and drove home on the way I noticed the car was in limp mode. I tried to call the mechanic and there was no answer and all over weekend no answer I am going down tomorrow to complain but I don't really want him touching anything else anyway. I managed to get hold of a diagnostic machine and it brought up codes P0380   P0047   U0140   P2683   P0691 

After paying for the mechanic to do the clutch and flywheel, I cant really afford to pay anybody else to repair it now and would like to do it myself as I am pretty handy but could do with some advice on what may be causing limp mode and which codes are causing limp mode so I can fix them first and also what might need replacing thanks for any help much appreciated.

Also when I start the car the head lights flicker

5 hours ago, bensjamin93 said:

it brought up codes P0380   P0047   U0140   P2683   P0691 

Clutch change, then headlamps flicker and an apparently unrelated bunch of electrical fault codes.

P0380: Glow plug/Heater, circuit A - malfunction

P0047 Turbo/Supercharger Boost Control A Circuit Low

P2683 Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Control Circuit High

P0691 - Fan 1 Control Circuit Low

U0140 Lost Communication With Body Control Module

The first thing I would look at is the main earth connection to the engine. The heavy wire from battery -ve that usually goes to a bell housing bolt near the starter motor. Check the connection and that the wire has no weak points near a crimp.

Then the rest of the main earth wiring, battery to engine & battery to body.

Then maybe damage to the wiring harness to the ECU. And for water ingress into that harness.

If the C-Max is the same as the Focus, then the ECU is in the passenger wheel arch, and a fat cable goes to it from the engine.

There is an access door visible if the wheel arch liner is removed, to see inside the ECU housing.

• Like 1

Thanks for that I'm going to start working on it tomorrow hopefully get it running right.

• Like 1

Still no luck today when I rev it up and it hits limp mode limiter around 2500- 2800 revs there is a lot of white smoke with a tint of blue.

1 hour ago, bensjamin93 said:

when I rev it up and it hits limp mode limiter around 2500- 2800 revs there is a lot of white smoke with a tint of blue.

If the turbo was not being activated, then that would naturally limit the power, and might cause smoke, due to insufficient air.

I suggest getting a decent diagnostic system, preferably something like Forscan (£16 for the ELM327 adapter & free download of s/w for Windows). This can probe other modules like the IC (dash) and BCM (aka GEM or Passenger fuse box). If there are wiring or connection problems, these modules may have additional errors.

Generic OBD2 systems will read most engine related codes, but do not always give a full picture.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the coolant and oil levels, to make sure the smoke is not steam or burning oil. It is most likely to be fuel, but it is wise to check.

Being able to clear the error codes and see if and when they come back can help with diagnosis. At the moment it could still be a great many things.

No response from turbo engine sounds noisy I have car half stripped and I have noticed air box was a bit loose could that cause my problem and my pal is coming to plug his diagnostic system in tomorrow he has a very good quality one if it says same I will get an adaptor mate thanks for help I will also check oil and coolant levels again.

I got the car lifted up today the intake pipe on turbo that goes to the airbox has split and has come away from where it connects to the turbo is this what is causing limp mode thanks

3 hours ago, bensjamin93 said:

the intake pipe on turbo that goes to the airbox has split and has come away from where it connects to the turbo is this what is causing limp mode

If there is bad leak in this pipe, it could confuse the ECU enough to cause a problem. The MAF is just after the airbox, and if most of the engine air is going in via the leak, it will read low, so the ECU will not know how how much air is going in. But this does not stack up with the error codes listed in the original post. Maybe those were just one off codes due to a harness being disconnected during the work on the car.

Also dirt and dust can get into the engine via the leak, so it needs fixing!

I am on it mate nearly fixed it I was a bit worried the turbo might of sucked in some crap I will update tomorrow thanks for the heads up on the maf sensor the other end of the pipe down near the turbo which is very difficult to get to was completely snapped away from the turbo.

• Like 1