Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2.5 Front bushes / Tyre wear

briscaF1

Hello again.

Had a couple of tyres on the other day after the previous set "wore down to the cords" right on the inner edge.

Tracking was checked 3 months ago and found to be "perfect."

Tyre fit place said that it was possible that the front bushes (lower?) could be on their way out causing geometry problems which stacks up as, at the last MOT, the tester said the bushes were getting a bit tired but didn't give an advisory.

So, for front bushes, is this a case of getting lower control arms complete with bushes (like the old Mk1 Ka) or just fitting new bushes ? I've looked at prices and it seems that the arms are about £120 each whereas decent bushes (TRW or Lemforder) are about £18 each.

What would be the recommended way forward, please?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, briscaF1 said:

Hello again.

Had a couple of tyres on the other day after the previous set "wore down to the cords" right on the inner edge.

Tracking was checked 3 months ago and found to be "perfect."

Tyre fit place said that it was possible that the front bushes (lower?) could be on their way out causing geometry problems which stacks up as, at the last MOT, the tester said the bushes were getting a bit tired but didn't give an advisory.

So, for front bushes, is this a case of getting lower control arms complete with bushes (like the old Mk1 Ka) or just fitting new bushes ? I've looked at prices and it seems that the arms are about £120 each whereas decent bushes (TRW or Lemforder) are about £18 each.

What would be the recommended way forward, please?

Thanks.

If you are fitting yourself, maybe consider the aftermarket arms - Unipart arms are £35-£40, and have a 2 year guarantee - and you replace the arm, the bushes, and a new ball joint.

You can't change just the bushes without a grinder to cut the old ones off and a press or heavy lump hammer and vice to install the new ones.

I changed the complete arms for Delphi aftermarket ones, cost £130 the pair.  Tbh I don't think the bushes are great on these, I had Hunter alignment done and new tyres but there's an odd 'loose/wander' since fitting the new lower arms that wasn't there before.  The rubber is what you pay for on genuine stuff, aftermarket bushes never are as good in my experience.  Also be careful going for very cheap arms as they are made of inferior metal and poorly welded which can lead to them snapping!!  Very dangerous when it happens.  

46 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You can't change just the bushes without a grinder to cut the old ones off and a press or heavy lump hammer and vice to install the new ones.

I changed the complete arms for Delphi aftermarket ones, cost £130 the pair.  Tbh I don't think the bushes are great on these, I had Hunter alignment done and new tyres but there's an odd 'loose/wander' since fitting the new lower arms that wasn't there before.  The rubber is what you pay for on genuine stuff, aftermarket bushes never are as good in my experience.  Also be careful going for very cheap arms as they are made of inferior metal and poorly welded which can lead to them snapping!!  Very dangerous when it happens.  

If I was going to go aftermarket I'd personally only consider Lemforder or maybe TRW to try and ensure the rubber is up the standard of OEM, although it sounds like the Delphi ones aren't bad for the price.

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

If I was going to go aftermarket I'd personally only consider Lemforder or maybe TRW to try and ensure the rubber is up the standard of OEM, although it sounds like the Delphi ones aren't bad for the price.

I've tried to stick to genuine parts on the Focus but the lower arm cost was just ridiculous.  I won't go too cheap after seeing the damage snapped ones do so stick to branded, think I had the choice between Delphi and TRW, neither actually look as good as OE when looking at welds and rubber, both about the same price from mister-auto (the TRWs from on ECP are £260 before discount!).  Not sure I saw any Lemforders for the Mk2 to compare.  The car definitely doesn't feel as tight as it did when I bought it though, in hindsight, I wish I'd been able to just swap the bushes for genuine parts and leave the rest of the arm genuine.  It's only the rear bushes that wear badly, fronts and BJs were fine.

I went to a local engineers workshop and had the old OEM bushes removed and had

new bushes pressed in 👍

Thanks for the replies.

What I find amazing is the price difference between Focus and, say, Ka lower wishbones. I used to buy them for about £25 each (not genuine but not cheapo ones) but genuine Ford ones are about £203 each.

£400 to sort the front bushes (parts only) would appear a bit pricey to me.

I'd only really fit semi-decent OEM quality parts as I don't like doing jobs twice but I'm surprised by the price difference between Unipart and, say, TRW ones from GSF.

I've got a mate with a press so it might be possible for us just to change the bushes but, knowing my luck, it'll be the ball joint loose as well.

Me again.

Does anyone know whether 18mm or 21mm are likely to be fitted? I've seen a post saying that it depends on which type of headlights / colour band but it doesn't say which colour is for which size.

I tried to call Unipart today to establish the sizing from my registration number but they didn't have a clue.

Looking at "Genuine Ford Parts" on eBay yields 1570284 and 1570285 being compatible with my car (2010 Zetec 1.6, 17" Sport wheels etc option) which I believe are the 21mm variant.

Also, they sell the bush which I presume fits off and near side (same part): Part number : 1883046 for about £24 each.

It looks like the wishbone fits inside these - is this really a pig to get on/off the wishbone?

Thanks for any assistance....

Most seem to be 21mm on facelift...  Obviously best to check though.  No parts place will know from your reg.

The bush is an interference fit on the wishbone, so yes it's on there tight and is a pain to remove without the right equipment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, briscaF1 said:

Does anyone know whether 18mm or 21mm are likely to be fitted? I've seen a post saying that it depends on which type of headlights / colour band but it doesn't say which colour is for which size

On 5/24/2017 at 1:17 AM, Micro said:

Information gleaned from the web (and a manufacturers website), stated that you can tell by the colour of the circlip holding the boot on the balljoint. It matched to mine (blue, 21mm). Year also comes into play, < 2007 > 2007. The only sure fire way is probably to measure.

On 5/24/2017 at 1:33 AM, Dee_82 said:

the dust boot clip is the easiest way to tell, blue is 21, orange is 18

It also matches up with TRW's stock pictures, yellow 18mm, blue 21mm. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, briscaF1 said:

Right equipment = a press?

A press would work yeah.  Or I've seen them cut off with a grinder and hammered on with a mallet.  

If doing it yourself, you need to make sure the new bushes go on at the right angle - there aren't any locators on them.  At the wrong angle they'll be under constant stress and will fail again quickly.

Any thoughts on polybushes for this job?

I guess if the ball joint is worn, no point knocking out new bushes on new wishbones but if the ball joints are OK, is it a lot easier to remove the old rubber bushings and fit polys instead?

Kit appears to be £60 for all the front bushes.

e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK2-Complete-Front-Wishbone-Poly-Polyurethane-Bush-Kit-2005-to-2016/182613517369?epid=1871576891&hash=item2a849d2439:g:420AAOSwJH1ZNrsf

Apart from the huge impact on drive comfort polyurethane suspension bushes usually wear out pretty quick. 

I know they'd make the ride harsher but didn't realise that they wore quickly.

The lower arms have a blue circlip on the boot which I guess makes them 21mm?

Disc is knackered, too. They appear to be the 278mm flavour.

IMG_20171117_175631.jpg

I’ve had poly bushes for 4 years,passed MOT last week,no advisory’s 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club