Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weak Windscreen Washers

TomsFocus

Not used the washers for a couple of weeks, went to use them today and got this pathetic dribble...  I know they were never great (why no mist jets!?) but I can't remember if they were always this bad or not?  

There's plenty of fluid and it's the Halfords stuff, good down to minus 7 or something like that so shouldn't be frozen.

Anyone else with a mk2 or facelift are yours better than that?

There a filter where the pump goes into the screenwash tank.  It tends to gradually get all scummy (especially if people mix screenwash types in the summer and don't use it, and eventually blocks (a bit like the infamous oil feed banjo bolt on a DV6) :whip:

Wife's MK2.5 58 plate Zetec 1.8 was like that when we bought it (quickly progressed to no screenwash output at all).  The filter stunk rank when removed, worth doing sooner rather than later as screenwash pumps on pretty much all cars are a cheap part and doesn't appreciate running against significant back pressure.

• Like 3

I had the same issue on an old Renault Clio that my brother borrowed off me. Filter was all gunked up and it stank when you went to use the washers. Cleaned the filter, emptied the remaining fluid, topped up with some water with a little disinfectant and flushed the lines through. After refilling with new washer fluid everything worked and smelt much better :smile:.

Didn't even know there was a filter in there! :blush:

Can't remember seeing the screenwash pump on these tbh, is it just located above the drivers wheel arch liner?  

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Didn't even know there was a filter in there! :blush:

Can't remember seeing the screenwash pump on these tbh, is it just located above the drivers wheel arch liner?  

That's the one, 1 pump serves front and rear.

35 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

That's the one, 1 pump serves front and rear.

Sounds easy enough to access then...just a shame it wasn't a few weeks ago while I had the liner out for the cambelt change lol.

Not sure if headlamp washers will have a separate pump?  Edit - The headlight washers do have a separate pump, and an extra piece of washer bottle, from a quick eBay search of ST washer bottles.  

It's surprising how much stuff had to be done to get Xenons on the non-ST...  Obviously the headlights themselves, plus the rear LED lights as I've recently found out, plus a front bumper with headlight washers but not ST shape (presumably pretty rare!), plus front and rear level sensors on suspension,  plus extra capacity washer bottle and extra pump with low fluid sensor.  

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sounds easy enough to access then...just a shame it wasn't a few weeks ago while I had the liner out for the cambelt change lol.

Not sure if headlamp washers will have a separate pump?  Edit - The headlight washers do have a separate pump, and an extra piece of washer bottle, from a quick ebay search of ST washer bottles.  

It's surprising how much stuff had to be done to get Xenons on the non-ST...  Obviously the headlights themselves, plus the rear LED lights as I've recently found out, plus a front bumper with headlight washers but not ST shape (presumably pretty rare!), plus front and rear level sensors on suspension,  plus extra capacity washer bottle and extra pump with low fluid sensor.  

Do the xenons on yours light up the road better than the standard halogens? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but even with the standard halogens on this car, it lights up the road far better than most other cars.

So in order to access the pump, or filter (above the driver's side wheel?) what are the exact steps? My flow is also pretty weak, similar to yours.

In the meantime, I'll do a quick google search to see whether anybody's already described it.

Ok here's a thread describing the steps:

In another thread, Lenny suggested putting vinegar through the system to flush out the sludge causing blockages, not sure if this will be as effective as removing and cleaning the filter, but it's a damn sight easier probably.

I'll probably just try to live with it, having to remove a ***** wheel just to clean a washer filter is ludicrous, why couldn't Ford come up with some more common-sense designs.

13 hours ago, Incontro said:

Do the xenons on yours light up the road better than the standard halogens? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but even with the standard halogens on this car, it lights up the road far better than most other cars.

So in order to access the pump, or filter (above the driver's side wheel?) what are the exact steps? My flow is also pretty weak, similar to yours.

In the meantime, I'll do a quick google search to see whether anybody's already described it.

Not really...the xenons give a whiter light which reflects things better (road lines, signs, high vis vests/cones, animal eyes, etc) but it doesn't give any more distance - the halogen main beams are fantastic for distance though.  Tbh I like the xenons for looks during the day, it was one of the things that drew me to this particular Focus...projectors look better than reflectors and they have black bezels as well...  I'm not usually one for form over function but it's still one of the things I like most aesthetically on the car!

I don't think vinegar will clean the filter effectively but you're welcome to try it, there shouldn't be anything in the pipes to need flushing out if the filter has done it's job so you're basically hoping that the vinegar will 'burn' the sludge off of the filter, and wont be too diluted by the screenwash already in there?  I don't see it myself. :unsure:  Back with my first car I had a smelly washer issue, though it didn't block anything, just smelt awful, was told to use washing up liquid in there to kill the bacteria...  Well that went horribly wrong, basically ended up creating a foam party in the street...  :laugh: 

It looks fairly simple tbh, removing the wheel is the hardest part due to where I keep my locking wheel nut key hidden! :lol:   After that it's just about 6 torx screws to remove the arch liner.  Then I'm not sure if the tank will need removing or not.  I'd rather not removing it and risk damaging other rubber grommets in the system but I'll need to clean both pumps so if the tank needs removing for that then I'll have to, won't know until I get there.  If the weather is ok on Friday I'll be doing it then so will try to take pics as I do with most car repairs nowadays.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Incontro said:

Ok here's a thread describing the steps:

In another thread, Lenny suggested putting vinegar through the system to flush out the sludge causing blockages, not sure if this will be as effective as removing and cleaning the filter, but it's a damn sight easier probably.

I'll probably just try to live with it, having to remove a ***** wheel just to clean a washer filter is ludicros, why couldn't Ford come up with some more common-sense designs.

You mean like NOT putting the brake fluid reservoir on the 1.8 TDCi UNDER the scuttle panel where you can't get to it to top up without removing the wipers.scuttle panel! :wallbash: 

I often wonder what the QA people at Ford do all day.

• Like 1

How often do you need to top up your brake fluid!? :unsure: 

There's an extra reservoir on the 1.6 (or maybe all facelifts?) that attaches to the plastic scuttle...  In 3 years I've never had to top it up though, it's turned out to be more of a hindrance when other things need repairing/replacing lol. :laugh:  

The one that gets me is the easyfuel funnel...on diesels with no lift pump...what use it that if you run dry! :lol: 

Washer bottles are usually behind arch liners, it's not an unusual location, though they used to be more boxy, it's pretty interesting the effort they've gone to to shape the mk2 Focus bottle! Not sure if that's purely lack of space or if it's something to do with weight distribution as well.

Must admit when I replaced both front wings (due to rust at the bottom) I was VERY impressed with the effort Ford had gone to maximise the screenwash tank size but "squash" it as flat as possible to make efficient use of space.

In my book it shows Ford can design things with a degree of intelligence when THEY want to, which it seems isn't very often!

• Like 2

So, cleaned out the filter...it made no difference at all. :unsure: I've never used blue screenwash btw, no idea how long that's been there.  Tried to clean the bottles a bit and adjust the jets but it's still pretty poor.  Think I might have left it too long and the motor itself is tired now.  The headlight washers motor doesn't have a filter so that's still fine.  I did take several pics to upload later but here is the filter...

IMG_20171117_104152558.thumb.jpg.26ce797e8a93658881c5197a760357fb.jpg

IMG_20171117_105343597.thumb.jpg.3f065b4c05c87f485874976fe79776cf.jpg

reassemble and remove the one way valve in the pipework to the washers, replace the valve with a small piece of brake pipe if you have some. try washers and see if that improves

Washers seem better after a drive, but came back to find this after about an hour...

IMG_20171117_154746369.thumb.jpg.d9232a22ec7d748a98d7767c143a685b.jpg

The grommet for the extra capacity bit is now leaking, I said it would a few posts up even before attempting the job lol.  I've tried to bodge it with the only thing I could find...some sort of all purpose glue.  I doubt it'll hold but don't have any sealant to hand.  While doing that, the arch liner nut style clips keep dropping off and 2 of the wheel nut caps came off this evening...the Focus is really starting to feel it's age now. :sad:

IMG_20171117_165700626.thumb.jpg.b6206c1e928205a783f140ab257577fc.jpg

Looks much better but I predicted by the sound of the other thread that it would be an extremely fiddly and risky job, so not sure I'll bother lol.

14 hours ago, Incontro said:

Looks much better but I predicted by the sound of the other thread that it would be an extremely fiddly and risky job, so not sure I'll bother lol.

Lol, can you predict this weeks lottery numbers?  

It did turn out to be more of a pain than I expected...but you don't have to separate those parts if you're just cleaning the filter.  Think my issue came from putting it in and out several times because it didn't seem to work first time...or second, so I then pulled the whole lot right out to try and clean.  It's probably down to tester discretion as to how little can pass but 'insufficient screenwash' is an MOT fail which is why I wanted it sorted.  I've spent a lot on wishbones, tyres etc to get a pass in January, don't want it ruined for the sake of cleaning a filter lol.

@Stoney871 Would you be able to find the part number for that grommet if sold separately please?  I can't find it on FPUK.

• Like 1

Finis code 1116776 £2.63 approx.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-screenwash-pump-seal-filter-1-116-776/112640414012?epid=1909754848&hash=item1a39e4513c:g:Ry8AAOSwTdpZbx-A

Same filter is used in-

S-Max - 2006 -

Mondeo - 2000 - 2007

Kuga - 2008 -

Focus (inc CC Model) - 2004 -

C-Max - 2003 - 2011

5a1030a8294d9_FocusMk2FaceliftWashBottleGrommetFilter.thumb.jpg.e1b5c8137dd87721f3bf02749a3222d1.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Finis code 1116776 £2.63 approx.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-screenwash-pump-seal-filter-1-116-776/112640414012?epid=1909754848&hash=item1a39e4513c:g:Ry8AAOSwTdpZbx-A

Same filter is used in-

S-Max - 2006 -

Mondeo - 2000 - 2007

Kuga - 2008 -

Focus (inc CC Model) - 2004 -

C-Max - 2003 - 2011

5a1030a8294d9_FocusMk2FaceliftWashBottleGrommetFilter.thumb.jpg.e1b5c8137dd87721f3bf02749a3222d1.jpg

Thanks but its not that one, I'm after the leaky one pictured above, between the two bottles.

I think it's the one just cut off the bottom of that pic, 17B610A?

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, can you predict this weeks lottery numbers?  

It did turn out to be more of a pain than I expected...but you don't have to separate those parts if you're just cleaning the filter.  Think my issue came from putting it in and out several times because it didn't seem to work first time...or second, so I then pulled the whole lot right out to try and clean.  It's probably down to tester discretion as to how little can pass but 'insufficient screenwash' is an MOT fail which is why I wanted it sorted.  I've spent a lot on wishbones, tyres etc to get a pass in January, don't want it ruined for the sake of cleaning a filter lol.

@Stoney871 Would you be able to find the part number for that grommet if sold separately please?  I can't find it on FPUK.

If I could wouldn't I be driving a much newer car? :tongue:

My weak jetwash stream has been like that for what 2-3 years now, doubt it would fail an MOT.

But good on you for sorting yours out! :thumbs_up:

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks but its not that one, I'm after the leaky one pictured above, between the two bottles.

I think it's the one just cut off the bottom of that pic, 17B610A?

This one?-

Focus Mk2 &  Facelift Headlight Wash Bottle Grommet.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Incontro said:

If I could wouldn't I be driving a much newer car? :tongue:

My weak jetwash stream has been like that for what 2-3 years now, doubt it would fail an MOT.

But good on you for sorting yours out! :thumbs_up:

Lol, just a newer car?  Could be flying a helicopter and avoiding all the traffic! :biggrin:

Fair enough though, if it does suddenly get to the point of needing sorted, at least you know you won't have the hassle of the leaky grommet that I do, the extra capacity bottle is for headlight washer vehicles only as confirmed by Wilco in the other thread. :smile: 

9 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

This one?-

Focus Mk2 &  Facelift Headlight Wash Bottle Grommet.jpg

Yep, that's the one, thanks Clive! :smile: 

At over a tenner I'm considering a tube of poundland sealant instead... :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club