Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Ticking Noise When Cold

Bigyinuk

Hi all

I'm new to this forum, just bought a Fiesta Econetic 1.6

Lovely car but there's a strange ticking noise coming from the engine when cold.

Its a rhythmic tick tick tick tick sound, about 3 or 4 per second, and goes away when cold.

Any ideas?

Had it on a corsa once, rebuilt the head after a head gasket leak and timing chain change. Made sure every component was squeeky clean and had fresh oil on it just for the first startup. Like the job I did was beyond what a garage would do, not a chance would they have taken the hydraulic lifters out and wiped them all down. Gave the sump a good clean out too, so not really any chance there would be any gunk left in, only what was in the block. Anyway I digress, put everything back on, started her up and... tapet tapet tapet tapet. Warmed up and it was fine, purred like a kitten. I guess there's just some problems you can't get rid of so easily.

I put it down to the hydraulic lifters. Usually they don't get enough lubrication with the thick oil when the engine is cold and then it gets better lubrication when it warms up and the oil is thinner.

My 2016 Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi have some unusual noise (tick tick ....) form engine bay. Anybody have idea? Ford doesn't know what it's was after two time check. Thanks

That sounds valve gear noise like to me. 

The noise mine makes is as if there is a fast ticking clock in the background, it sounds completely independent of the main engine/valve gear noise.

I'll try and get a recording of it.

Certainly sounds like tappet noise and, if so, would gradually disappear as the engine warms up.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club