Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dilemma, What Would You Do?

Liam40

Hi Everyone,

I’ve posted several topics for advice on the Focus 1.0 EcoBoost 125, but I have a question for you all.

If you were looking for your next Focus and you had you sights on getting the 1.0 EcoBoost 125 and were checking out car dealership websites to see what’s available for this engine configuration but whilst browsing you stumbled opon a 1.5 EcoBoost 150, would you stick to getting the 1.0 or would you go for the 1.5?

What would you do and why would you do it!

Liam.

Depends on price...

The 1.5 would have to be cheaper... enough to counter the extra fuel, tax and insurance as running costs is my main reason for looking at the 1 litres.

I also think the 1.5 will be harder to sell if you're aiming to sell in say 2 or 3 years.

I have  had exactly the same dilemma recently lol. :laugh:

• Like 2

I would ask to test drive a both cars if possible before you make your mind up. We had a 1 litre Eco Boost Fiesta 125BHP which was fine and pulled like a train around town. But when we took a 1 litre Eco Boost Focus for a test drive it felt sluggish at the lights possible due to the Focus body weighs more than a Fiesta so we took a Focus 1.5 litre Eco Boost 150 BHP for test drive and we found it a lot better drive than the 1 litre. And we ordered a new 1.5 Eco Boost 150BHP ST Line  we find it drive like a dream I am glad we choose the 1.5 litre 150BHP. We are getting around 50 mpg on a run and about 40 mpg  urban the road Tax is £140 the same if registered after April 2017. So I would test drive both cars before you buy.

• Like 3

Nissan doesn't mean Japanese anymore unfortunately now Renault have there hands on it

I couldn't fault Nissan's when I worked at a Nissan garage but that was some years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devonboy said:

Buy Japanese, Nissan, cant fault them.

My Nissan Note

N1.jpg

But LOOK AT IT! :sick: and as noted below NOT so reliable now Renault have got their hands on it.

• Haha 1

Some Nissans are built in the UK now (the Note is one of them)...  As are some Hondas and Toyotas...  While a lot of Fords are built in Germany...  However I imagine working for a Ford plant in Germany is the equivalent of working at a poundshop over here... :laugh: 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Depends on price...

The 1.5 would have to be cheaper... enough to counter the extra fuel, tax and insurance as running costs is my main reason for looking at the 1 litres.

I also think the 1.5 will be harder to sell if you're aiming to sell in say 2 or 3 years.

I have  had exactly the same dilemma recently lol. :laugh:

True point Tom!

The idea of having a 1.0 EcoBoost 125 engine in a bigger car than a Fiesta intrigues me and would be better for the type of driving I do, plus it would be better fuel economy and probably better on insurance. But, the lure of possibly owning a 1.5 EcoBoost with bigger performance, less on fuel economy and higher on insurance is the same as the idea of owning a 1.0 EcoBoost which intrigues me. 

Whichever enigine configuration I choose, I’ll keep it for 3 or 4 years. So I’ve got to make sure I make the right decision.

What recent dilemma did you have Tom?

Liam.

Whichever engine configuration I choose in the end, several things that I have made a decision on is, going for a Titanium or Titanium X spec model for all the extras and one with 17inch alloys. Colours I have decided on too: silver, white. Would consider a midnight blue or dark grey but they do show the chips and scratches well. I’ll probably steer clear of red and black unless the perfect one comes along!

Liam.

30 minutes ago, Liam40 said:

What recent dilemma did you have Tom?

Basically due to the sort of driving I do, I need to change to a petrol in something Focus sized BUT with diesel running costs...and with a fairly low purchase budget...  Impossible right? :laugh:  I've been trying to do this for over a year now, but the newer cars just aren't depreciating quickly enough lol.

Mk7 TSI Golfs are still well out of budget.  1.0 Focus' Titaniums still cost more than I can afford at a reasonable mileage but that's what I've been keeping an eye on, could just about get a 100ps Zetec with 60k, but have seen a couple of 1.6 ecoboosts that I could afford to buy in Titanium spec with around 45k...  However, being realistic, I couldn't afford the extra running costs so decided against that eventually.  I'm still stuck with the diesel at the moment...it's all well and good the gov't trying to force people out of diesels, potentially increase tax in the upcoming budget and 'improve' MOT checks, but for those of us without the funds for a new car (even with a scrappage scheme) there just isn't an alternative currently. :unsure: 

• Like 2

On 18/11/2017 at 2:34 PM, Liam40 said:

Hi Everyone,

I’ve posted several topics for advice on the Focus 1.0 EcoBoost 125, but I have a question for you all.

If you were looking for your next Focus and you had you sights on getting the 1.0 EcoBoost 125 and were checking out car dealership websites to see what’s available for this engine configuration but whilst browsing you stumbled opon a 1.5 EcoBoost 150, would you stick to getting the 1.0 or would you go for the 1.5?

What would you do and why would you do it!

Liam.

It really depends on your priorities.   If running costs, depreciation etc is the priority then I'd probably avoid the 1.5. If you only care about how it drives, try both and go with what you like best.

As a "rough" guide check out real world MPG https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2014/15t-ecoboost-150.  We had a petrol and mpg was way lower than Fords figures.

Looks like the "real world" average on a 1.5 150 is around 35mpg , yet Ford claims 50.4 mpg combined and 39 mpg urban.  I have a 2017 1.5 diesel and average real world of about 55 mpg, mainly A roads, some motorway and a bit of urban. Also,  I'm not heavy footed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liam40 said:

Whichever engine configuration I choose in the end, several things that I have made a decision on is, going for a Titanium or Titanium X spec model for all the extras and one with 17inch alloys. Colours I have decided on too: silver, white. Would consider a midnight blue or dark grey but they do show the chips and scratches well. I’ll probably steer clear of red and black unless the perfect one comes along!

Liam.

"Magnetic Grey" looks fantastic when it's clean and the sun is out, it makes all the "flake" in the paint really pop.

• Like 1

I picked up a 1.5 182 st line x on Friday.

previously had the 1.0 140 st line in the fiesta, I am glad I went with the 1.5 in the focus. The fiesta sometimes felt sluggish off the line but good once up in the revs, so personally i think it would feel underpowered in the focus.

just my two cents worth, and depends what you are after in the car also :)

• Like 1

I love my little 1 litre Focus, it's perfect for what I need, and the insurance was good for a first car. If i were to buy a new Focus however I'd probably get the 1.5, not because I find the 1.0 too slow, because generally it's perfectly nippy, but because I might as well have the extra power.

Depends on your budget really, I'd test both (plus maybe the 140) and see if you think the 1.5 is worth the extra.

• Like 1

Hi I had the 125ps until I took out the 1.5 150ps in june the 1.5 is hands down more fun to drive . Mpg is Down about 5mpg insurance was the same and tax is obviously going to cost more. going to stick a bluefin on it next year . So if possible I'd test drive both and see for yourself

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, iantt said:

Nissan doesn't mean Japanese anymore unfortunately now Renault have there hands on it

I couldn't fault Nissan's when I worked at a Nissan garage but that was some years ago.

The diesel engine is a Renault, the petrol engine is Japanese.

• Like 1

I was fortunate in a way. I had a 1.0 100 fiesta, which bugged me a little as wanted the 125. However now I have the focus with 125 and the extra 25 is probably covering the extra size.

6 speed box is mental though over the 5 I had in fez. My fez wasn't really all that happy in 5th til approaching 50 mph maybe 45 at a push, but focus is looking for 6th at 40.
P's. That's a lot of gear changes between 0-40 but I love it.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

I was fortunate in a way. I had a 1.0 100 fiesta, which bugged me a little as wanted the 125. However now I have the focus with 125 and the extra 25 is probably covering the extra size.

6 speed box is mental though over the 5 I had in fez. My fez wasn't really all that happy in 5th til approaching 50 mph maybe 45 at a push, but focus is looking for 6th at 40.
P's. That's a lot of gear changes between 0-40 but I love it.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

***** hell the petrol versions ratios seem close, in the diesel it's not happy in 6th until I'm going about 55mph 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club