Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Awf21 gearbox oil service?

vr46wobblybox

I have a 2.2 Ford Mondeo titanium x sport with an automatic gearbox. There's 62k on it with a full Ford service history except one. On enquiring with Ford I'm finding it hard to confirm when the transmission fluid is due to changed. One garage said it's a non serviceable item with no drain plug or filter and another said it is and that it's £280 to change the fluid.... Both have told me it's an Awf21 gearbox and the Google machine says it can be serviced.. Anyone help me shed some light on this??

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

there isnt a transmission fluid change interval. 7 litres is the capacity and there is a drain/level plug. and filler plug on top of box.

• Like 1

there isnt a transmission fluid change interval. 7 litres is the capacity and there is a drain/level plug. and filler plug on top of box.
Aaaah, do you know much about it? Is there a sequence when you change the fluid. I've heard of boxes that need flushed, fed through the gears, hard acceleration and braking etc etc to change it properly. Temperature can also be an issue.

I had an insignia automatic which I believe is the same box and it started dropping gears under hard acceleration. When the fluid was changed it was very very dark apparently. Hence I'm keen to change the fluid before any issues occur.

Why would Ford say it's non serviceable? Very strange

Thank you for your prompt reply btw[emoji869]

I'm also a bit surprised that there isn't a specified service interval on the box, not many dual clutch boxes out there that don't need the fluid replacing periodically.  Ford's other PowerShift boxes have an interval of 3 years (I think it's 3 but don't hold me to it!)

the awf21 is not a powershift dual clutch transmission.

as for replacing it simple to drain and refill . but for level check the transmission needs warming up to between 53°c and 57°c and that temp monitored via diagnostic equipment to achive that temp.

therefore if you want it changing i would get a ford dealer to change it.

Well that's the thing.. Do I need it changed? I like the car and I'd hate to damage the gearbox by not changing the fluid. Yes it's expensive but a new box is horrific. If I was to change the fluid at what mileage is optimal? Thanks for your help

no idea on mileage. up to you if you are concerned about the longevity of the box. 

wont be cheap but whats the cost of "piece of mind"

Fair enough.. I'll do some more research on it and see what happens. Ford have been shocking, the right hand actually doesn't know what the lefts doing

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club