Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen stone chip repair

dansallis

I have had my Fiesta around 3 weeks now and unfortunately got a stone chip (~1 cm across) in my windscreen the other day.

My questions were:

• When you get this repaired by someone like Halfords or Autoglass, is the chip still visible?

• Is there any negative effect to claiming it on my insurance (Admiral FC), whether for a repair or a new windscreen?

Thanks guys

The chip will still be slightly visible but won’t stand out. I’ve claimed twice in the last three years for windscreen chips (both resulted in replaced windscreens) and has had no effect on my insurance although different companies will have different policies! Autoglass is the company my insurance use, normally if it’s just a chip repair, no excess is required, if the windscreen requires replacement you will have an excess, mine was £70!

With regards to the chip, the size, type of chip and location on the screen will dictate wether or not it can be repaired or a new screen fitted!

If it's within the drivers viewing area they won't (shouldn't) repair it, will be replacement only.

• Like 1

It's worth getting fixed before it spreads, it's usually guaranteed and your insurance will usually recommend this 

It costs £25 excess for a chip or £75 for a new screen...

So 3 chips and you might as well have a new screen instead...  

Having a new screen through Admiral did put my premium up the next year.  It has to be declared as a claim, though it doesn't affect your NCB.

yes, in spite of what windscreen replacement companies advertise for chip repairs (usually no excess they say) some companies do have an excess. I don't think it is unreasonable to have an excess on repairs. If there is no excess it just encourages policyholders to waste the insurance companies' money on repairs when there is no point.

It is rare for a chip to spread, in spite of windscreen companies suggesting your car will self destruct if you don't have that chip repaired in one microsecond of it happening. 

On my previous fiesta over the years I had six chips, all noticable but no bad enough for an MOT failure. None of these spread. But then one day I got a big crack (not where the chips were) and it needed replacing to satisfy the MOT.  I could have had 6 chip repairs over the years, all of which would have been pointless.

Thanks for all the replies guys. 

I am going to get it sorted at Halfords tomorrow (not through insurance because the repair excess is £25!).
The chip itself is just above the driver's eyeline, so a repair shouldn't obscure my view.

In terms of the repair... is it likely that the heating elements in the windscreen are going to be damaged?

Thanks again

It's actually quite easy to fix as long as it's like less than an inch wide yourself if you can get a kit from amazon or whatever. Making sure the area is clean is key. The rest can be achieved with a bit of epoxy and air pressure.

If you are not making an insurance claim (and assuming you are not doing it to try to get it through an MOT that would otherwise fail) I am not sure if there is much point in doing it.

Isetta, you were probably right. Had it done this evening... Was definitely not worth it. It looks cosmetically worse than before, but at least it will stop it from cracking further during the winter and on bad (bumpy) roads etc.

I had a chip repaired years ago on a Granada.   Absolute waste of time.   Eventually had a new windscreen.

By shear luck a friend of mine works for a famous windscreen company so I get it done for free every time(chip) and a discount on the screen if I buy the whole thing myself and free fitting.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club