Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 2006 – Alarm goes off when manually unlocking door (remote key lost)

Daveo85

Hi,

I only have a manual key (the remote key has recently been lost) and nearly every time I unlock the door the alarm will go and I have to turn the key in the ignition to disable it. Which is a pain, especially with getting a young child in the car.

I took the key to my local car locksmith to get another key cut and he was only able to cut me another manual key - he was unable to reprogram the new key so the remote functions worked.

I have looked on other discussions and forums and the only solution to this seems to be to get another remote key, so I’m struggling. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m not bothered if the alarm is permanently deactivated to be honest….although doubtful if anyone would share how to do this on a public forum...

Many thanks in advance

Dave

It is perfectly normal for the alarm to go off when the doors are manually unlocked. The alarm system does not recognise whether the doors are unlocked with a key or by some burglar with different (universal) tools.

You either have to buy a suitible remote key or have the alarm system disabled.

The original alarm system electronics are integrated in the GEM module/fuse box. The alarm system can be disabled by changing the configuration of the GEM module/fuse box. This can be doene with a suitible Ford specific diagnostic system. For example a (modified) ELM327 interface and the free ELMconfig software.

Of course the problem with deactivating the alarm is invalidating your insurance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks both for your responses

I will have a look into disabling the alarm using the ELMconfig program (and insurance implications). 

JW1982 - is it straightforward enough to do if I buy an ELM327 interface that has already been modified? Would the ELM327 interface in the listing below do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122749435220?chn=ps&dispctrl=0&adgroupid=49522826281&rlsatarget=pla-379372015150&abcId=1128966&adtype=pla&merchantid=113697073&poi=&googleloc=1007033&device=c&campaignid=857333700&crdt=0

Cheers

Dave

18 hours ago, Daveo85 said:

Thanks both for your responses

I will have a look into disabling the alarm using the ELMconfig program (and insurance implications). 

JW1982 - is it straightforward enough to do if I buy an ELM327 interface that has already been modified? Would the ELM327 interface in the listing below do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122749435220?chn=ps&dispctrl=0&adgroupid=49522826281&rlsatarget=pla-379372015150&abcId=1128966&adtype=pla&merchantid=113697073&poi=&googleloc=1007033&device=c&campaignid=857333700&crdt=0

Cheers

Dave

Most of us on here have bought from Tunnelrat Electronics, it has the correct "chip" in it and should work as intended, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence from forum posts that a lot of the ebay versions are either "clones" or just plan crap i.e. keeps dropping connection or just super slow.  Neither of which you want if you're trying to write a change to the car!

Thanks for the advice Damian. 

Get a whopping 85p discount as well today as it's black Friday!

Just noticed there is a wifi version as well, reckon it's worth getting to be able to use with my phone? 

29 minutes ago, Daveo85 said:

Thanks for the advice Damian. 

Get a whopping 85p discount as well today as it's black Friday!

Just noticed there is a wifi version as well, reckon it's worth getting to be able to use with my phone? 

No worries mate, personally I'd say go for the wired version as it virtually guarantees a stable connection, bluetooth is fine whilst it's working but if it has one of those days where it won't connect or stay connected, it's not what you need if you have a problem you're trying to urgently diagnose.

I lost my remote key a few months back and have been ok using the spare. you get a good 20/30 seconds to get the key in before the alarm goes off.

Have ordered the wired version, cheers.

WAZ - sometimes mine gives 20 seconds grace to get the key in the ignition, but more often than not the alarm will sound as soon as I open the door. 

I find the alarm goes off straight away if any door other than the drivers is opened before the key is in.

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping into an alarm related thread here as I'm at my wits end with the one on my Focus.  I've fitted a new, better spec battery, bridged the connections on the bonnet sensor and disconnected the interior sensors above the rear view mirror in an atempt to stop it randomly going off. 

Most recently, I removed the actual sounder from below the windscreen as I was fed up of the beeping at random times of the day and worried about my neighbours getting cheesed off.  Now they knock the door to tell me the indicators are flashing...

Anyhow, my question is to Dave, did you manage to deactivate the alarm completely?  I'm having to periodically trickle charge the battery to ensure it doesn't run flat due to the indicators going off every so often. 

A final solution to this would be great!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club