Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Servicing - Main Dealer or Independent?

dansallis

Hi all,

My Fiesta is due its next service soon (first one by me), and I was wondering what your opinions on whether I should stick to a main dealer or go to my local garage?

The car is less than 6 months from the end of the 3 year warranty, and has only previously been serviced by main dealers (Trust Ford). My closest main dealer is a Bristol Street Motors.

TIA,

Dan

I would have thought that if you are thinking of changing your car at a mains Ford dealer in future it would be beneficial to have it serviced at a Ford garage for £12 a month direct debit for a yearly service plus breakdown cover free with Ford is not a bad deal.

If its under warranty Ford dealer - it will be you last chance to get anything fixed free - have you checked your turbo pipes for corrosion etc...

After its out of warranty then its up to you, a dealer stamp will help maintain its resale value.

These are good points. I have always been on the side of going to a Ford dealer for this service.

@Titanium How can I find that direct debit (monthly) service deal? I can only seem to pay as a sum...?

In the exceptional cases where any goodwill can be extracted from Ford as something majorly bad gone wrong shortly after the warranty expires, a full Ford service history is very beneficial. It's one of the questions they ask.

• Like 1

I always use a Ford main dealer but I wouldn't go near Bristol Street Motors.   Bought a Renault Kadjar from them recently.   Big mistake.

Unless you get a good price, go to a local garage you know or do the service yourself. The extra money you pay going to a main dealer won't reflect quite the same when you sell the car.

If you plan on keeping it for ten years then forget about main dealer, consider doing services yourself. If you're wanting to sell in 2 or 3 years time then look at trying to get a cheap service deal at Ford.

15 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Unless you get a good price, go to a local garage you know or do the service yourself. The extra money you pay going to a main dealer won't reflect quite the same when you sell the car.

If you plan on keeping it for ten years then forget about main dealer, consider doing services yourself. If you're wanting to sell in 2 or 3 years time then look at trying to get a cheap service deal at Ford.

My local is quoting me £222 vs BSM quoting me £283. You're right, it might be a good idea to start them myself! Although, despite not being sure when I will sell the car, I am likely to buy a new one in 2-4 years...

when my fiesta needed a service a few months ago The main dealer was quoting a cheaper price than independants that I phoned (I admit that I did not phone every independant garage)

23 hours ago, dansallis said:

These are good points. I have always been on the side of going to a Ford dealer for this service.

@Titanium How can I find that direct debit (monthly) service deal? I can only seem to pay as a sum...?

Have you tried visiting the customer service at the garage

Best to service yourself. You know that these parts have been changed and you take more care as it's your car. I've heard of people such as my neighbour taking their car to get serviced and later found they didn't change the air filter. Same with the previous owner of my car. He said it's been recently serviced but when me and dad service it the air filter was dirty. Can't trust everyone. 

Is this the 3 year service?  I'm getting quoted £295 at the moment for that with TrustFord, I'm getting it done for £30 labour (a guy who has looked after my other car for 20 years so I trust him) and me supplying the parts at £100.

Prevously I had done at TrustFord for the warranty, but now it's up going to go independent.  I always haggled with TrustFord though and got the servicing costs down but at least £50, they have a large profit margin. For example the internal costing for their first service at £195 is £70.

Jonathan

Apparently the oil is expensive for the Fiesta. I'm really good mates with the guy who owns the garage I go to and it still cost me £130, and that was only for a oil and filter change. Only go so I can get the stamps. My thought is that as long as you get it done at the same garage each time it doesn't affect much, it looks better if you have repetitive stamps rather than different garages every service.

ford just quoted £226 for a second-year service. reduced to £190 after a bit of a haggle. ended up taking it to Halfords who did the job for £135. on both years I've asked ford for a price they have been close to £100 more and I can't see me getting that back at the other end

• Like 1

I think I am going to go into BSM to try and get the price down. I would like it if I could since this is the final service while the car is in warranty and it would hugely benefit me if I had to make any out of warranty claims...

I have a service plan with the local main Ford dealer for my Ford cars, (Focus ST and Fiesta) total cost less than £50 per month for both cars, and includes MOT too. Don't forget you get the free 12 months  "Ford Assist" (AA) roadside and home recovery, free inside and out valet, courtesy car or collection and delivery, and discount on parts and accessories.

I believe Ford are now pushing service plans for Ford cars over four years old, "Four + ", too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two on the service deal with Ford. The first one is at £9.00 pm and the other is 12.00 pm [inflation!] so, £21.00 for two cars is £252 per annum and this includes the AA Home Assist service in with it...which gets renewed after each service.

10 hours ago, TitaniumWhite said:

I have two on the service deal with Ford. The first one is at £9.00 pm and the other is 12.00 pm [inflation!] so, £21.00 for two cars is £252 per annum and this includes the AA Home Assist service in with it...which gets renewed after each service.

Was this TrustFord, Allen Ford or BSM? 

• 2 months later...
On 06/12/2017 at 7:31 AM, dansallis said:

Was this TrustFord, Allen Ford or BSM? 

Hi, sorry for the late response.
My cover is with Parks Ford and is called Ford Assist.
It provides cover with the AA.

• 3 weeks later...

Will bump this topic as I asked for a service plan price today for my 9 month old mk7.5 fiesta.

Was told I would have to pay £102 deposit as I was 8 months into my 1st year then £24 per month thereafter.

This is to cover 3 years services.

I am presuming this is mega expensive.

The dealership I got to said I can take the car anywhere for a service as long as they follow the Ford service actions, use genuine Ford parts and stamp the service log.

What are genuine Ford parts? What is a genuine Ford oil filter and oil, pollen filter etc?

I have a family member who is manager at a well known auto centre and he said they have done many services for warranty upkeep. They use Mann filters which he says are fine with manufacturers for preserving warranties and any trade in values in vehicles.

Any ideas Any one?

As long as parts used are compatible / meet ford specs and servicing is performed with sufficient skill and care, your warranty will stand.

I have a 2016 FiestaX and took out a service plan £14.50 per month plus free 24 hour free recovery every year 

20 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Will bump this topic as I asked for a service plan price today for my 9 month old mk7.5 fiesta.

Was told I would have to pay £102 deposit as I was 8 months into my 1st year then £24 per month thereafter.

This is to cover 3 years services.

I am presuming this is mega expensive.

The dealership I got to said I can take the car anywhere for a service as long as they follow the Ford service actions, use genuine Ford parts and stamp the service log.

What are genuine Ford parts? What is a genuine Ford oil filter and oil, pollen filter etc?

I have a family member who is manager at a well known auto centre and he said they have done many services for warranty upkeep. They use Mann filters which he says are fine with manufacturers for preserving warranties and any trade in values in vehicles.

Any ideas Any one?

Ford filters are "Motorcraft" brand. Motorcraft is a division of Ford.

Don't bother with the sevice plan, put the money in a bank account and at service shop around for the best price, wether that is a ford dealer (on their website you can get quotes for services from dealers in your area) or independant, you can view the service schedules on ford etis.

Genuine ford service parts arent any more expensive than other makes, buy them from a dealer and get a local garage you trust to do it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club