Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Servicing - Main Dealer or Independent?

dansallis

Haha just looking around for Motorcraft parts on Google, Ford Motorcraft servicing came up.

I opened it and put my postcode for nearest service centre.

Guess what.... the dealership I use came up with Ford Motorcraft service for £149 Rrp...

So why would they quote me what they did, around 800 to 900 quid for 3 years service plan?

On 22/11/2017 at 9:24 AM, GaryPL said:

In the exceptional cases where any goodwill can be extracted from Ford as something majorly bad gone wrong shortly after the warranty expires, a full Ford service history is very beneficial. It's one of the questions they ask.

In the event the worst should ever happen (I'm sure it won't), he can forget any goodwill.  The moment he serviced it himself he eradicated then prospect of it ever happening - all manufacturers expect you to show goodwill to them by using their authorised dealers, and if you don't you will not receive any in return.  That is the whole point of goodwill, the giveaway being in the name.

24 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Haha just looking around for Motorcraft parts on Google, Ford Motorcraft servicing came up.

I opened it and put my postcode for nearest service centre.

Guess what.... the dealership I use came up with Ford Motorcraft Service for £149 Rrp...

So why would they quote me what they did, around 800 to 900 quid for 3 years service plan?

I believe the Ford Motorcraft service is applicable to older vehicles. When we last had an older Ford we used to have a "Value Service", I suspect this is the same thing under a new name.

While on the subject of dealer servicing, noted when I collected my Mk 8 this week that service interval is now 2 years or 18,000 miles. This is in line with VW Group and presumably is to appeal to high mileage fleet users. VW however, give you the choice of setting your car up on long life or annual service regimes at time of purchase, whereas Ford just mentioned the above. How do you get your breakdown cover extended annually in that case? Not a problem with VW Group as their  cars come with 3 years cover (except SEAT which is 2).

My dealer advised that they are offering an annual check for £30 or so when they can extend the cover, and I can of course have an oil change at extra cost at the same time, thus making it a normal minor service anyway. I'm likely to do this, don't fancy leaving a low mileage car (only doing about 6k a year these days) for 2 years without attention. What do others think?

Ironically when I was a high mileage fleet user service intervals were 6 or 9 k and I was having up to 5 services a year - would have appreciated the long life regimes then!

Just checked Ford etis and it confirms the Mk8 has 2yr service intervals. Seems like a bad thing to me, although if you are on a 3 yr PCP deal and have no intention of keeping the car then stick with it as it will save you money.

Im 100% for yearly servicing that includes oil changes (personally I change every 10K), and of course checking your car every week.

• Like 2

I've allways had older cars my last ones where Mondeo's always had the serviced at my local Ford dealer as included in the price of the service was a years AA membership, a minor service on a diesel was £125 my Aa cover used to £169 not all dealers do this but it's worth a look. I think the car has to be 5 years old

quite a few models now have 2 yr 18k intervals or there abouts 

transit is 36k between oil changes! 

8 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

In the event the worst should ever happen (I'm sure it won't), he can forget any goodwill.  The moment he serviced it himself he eradicated then prospect of it ever happening - all manufacturers expect you to show goodwill to them by using their authorised dealers, and if you don't you will not receive any in return.  That is the whole point of goodwill, the giveaway being in the name.

Goodwill is also a tool for limiting legal challenge. If you buy a new car, it's reasonable to expect it to function beyond the warranty. Warranty is a tool for conning people into thinking that there's no recourse once it has expired. But the law says you can expect something to be of sufficient quality. Brand new, with full service history? Not really much of an argument n the manufacturer's part when you've spent tens of thousands on one of their products. I reckon there's a decent chance of victory if you legally challenge in the event of a major failure a few months or even years after a warranty has expired. Particularly if it's a part that should last the life of the car like, I dunno, the engine or gearbox.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:41 PM, Mavroz said:

Will bump this topic as I asked for a service plan price today for my 9 month old mk7.5 fiesta.

Was told I would have to pay £102 deposit as I was 8 months into my 1st year then £24 per month thereafter.

This is to cover 3 years services.

I am presuming this is mega expensive.

The dealership I got to said I can take the car anywhere for a service as long as they follow the Ford service actions, use genuine Ford parts and stamp the service log.

What are genuine Ford parts? What is a genuine Ford oil filter and oil, pollen filter etc?

I have a family member who is manager at a well known auto centre and he said they have done many services for warranty upkeep. They use Mann filters which he says are fine with manufacturers for preserving warranties and any trade in values in vehicles.

Any ideas Any one?

Yes you are so right,what are Genuine Ford parts these days.

As said on here above they are a well known parts just what ford put there name to and add a bit more and then mad labour charges.

Think my local one is over £70 an hour.

Thanks for the input.

Have downloaded the various service sheets from Etis.  The Motorcraft service isn't too different to the 1st year service. oil and filter changes are the only things I see that are replaced on both with various checks. Only difference is a check clutch operation ??

The Motorcraft Service is around £140.

Main dealer service is £190

Service plan is £24 a month for 3 years, £288 per year.

Even if I had the main dealer service, it is still £98 a year cheaper than a main dealer service plan. Why would they offer a service plan for more than they offer the service for?

I think the way to go is the local auto centre that a family member works for. Will buy the filters and oil either from Ford or online. The car is on a PCP so I won't be keeping it after this, will renew so there is no need for me to have main dealer servicing done as I won't need anything doing after the warranty expires, it may be someone else's headache.

3 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Thanks for the input.

Have downloaded the various service sheets from Etis.  The Motorcraft Service isn't too different to the 1st year service. Oil and filter changes are the only things I see that are replaced on both with various checks. Only difference is a check clutch operation ??

The Motorcraft Service is around £140.

Main dealer service is £190

Service plan is £24 a month for 3 years, £288 per year.

Even if I had the main dealer service, it is still £98 a year cheaper than a main dealer service plan. Why would they offer a service plan for more than they offer the service for?

I think the way to go is the local auto centre that a family member works for. Will buy the filters and oil either from Ford or online. The car is on a PCP so I won't be keeping it after this, will renew so there is no need for me to have main dealer servicing done as I won't need anything doing after the warranty expires, it may be someone else's headache.

The person who had my car first from new from our local Ford Garage never had it serviced there he went to a top Garage with Genuine parts (well the make ford uses)

I had all my services for the last 4 years at the same Garage 'Ford' but no more as from now as stupid labour cost but will always use the parts they use.

Been in touch with another local Ford Dealership and they offer 1st and 2nd main dealer service for £138 per service.

The guy on the phone from the service dept was very helpful and informative.

He also said that the 3rd year service is the expensive one at £230 but as my car is on a 3 year PCP he said he would doubt that i would have the car more than about 2 to 2 and a half years before i am asked if i want to swap it for a newer model.

He suggested that if i want to go to an independent then I should look at buying oil, oil filter and pollen filter from Ford as well as downloading the service checksheet from Etis. He advised getting the checksheet signed and stamped along with the service booklet. This will show that Ford service guidelines and checks have been followed.

He also said that these services over the 3 years are purely only to preserve the warranty and lots of dealerships charge what they want ad the customer is frightened about losing the cover if they don't pay the price and follow the dealership advice.

Yes I am loyal to the dealership but set the minimum they want nearly £80 more than another Ford dealership. Not to mention the £900 ish they wanted me to pay over 3 years if I wanted a service plan?

I booked mine in for its 2nd year service last week. was supposed to be £189, but on the day I took out a 3 service plan. So the service dropped to £139 with 19x payments of £27.61 = £657.34.

You get a "Valet" (i.e. wave a wet rag at the car) a curtesy car, AA cover and free puncture repairs. I can cancel it at any time and if I get rid of the car in-between services I get the residual back.

I could probably get it a bit cheaper shopping around every year but this will do me for the time being

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club