Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rapid water loss, 1.6 ecoboost mk3

Preecematt

Evening all,

Basically as the title suggests my engine has just started rapidly loosing water.  It's a 61 plate 1.6 Ecoboost, jacked the car up(still in air) no leaks, oil is a normal colour/smell, coolant smells normal.  Only occasional white smoke when it's cold outside and it's the first start of the day.  Noticed yesterday when the coolant fans come on and the heating went cold, so checked the fluids this morning and the coolant was empty, topped up with anti-freeze and did 9 miles(picked kids and wife up) and it's drank all of it.  Car has done between 59-60000 miles.  My thoughts were air lock but can't see how it would be if it only happened yesterday/today.  Only other thought is headgasket.  Any help would be massively appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Matt 

Have you looked under the car for any signs of leaks?

Check the expansion tank for cracks too.

19 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Have you looked under the car for any signs of leaks?

Check the expansion tank for cracks too.

I have taken the panels off the bottom and checked for leaks/split pipes, can't find anything, no wet patches anywhere, no leaks when engine is running either.  Haven't looked at the expansion tank yet

You should start with pressure/vacuum testing the cooling system to find the cause of the coolant loss.

Known causes of coolant leaks on the 1.6 ECOboost are:

1. Leaking water pump seal.
2. Cracked degas hose.
3. Cracked coolant reservoir.
4. cracked or warped thermostat housing.

Next to this there are also examples of defective cilinder head gaskets or cracked cilinder heads.

You should not drive the car in this condition. The 1.6 ECOboost only has a coolant temperature sensor. In case of coolant loss the coolant temperature sensor will measure air instead of coolant. Air does not conduct heat very well so in case of severe coolant loss the PCM will not detect overheating. In this case engine damage will occur very quick without a warning (temperature gauge or warming message).

• Like 1

Yes, it has.

However there has never been a recall for the degas hose of the 1.6 ECOboost. Just like the 1.0 ECOboost the design of the 1.6 ECOboost degas hose has been changed (a few times) during production. Vehicles which have the old designs degas hose should have it replaced for the latest revised version of degas hose.

However even the latests design degas hose can fail. The 1.6 ECOboost of my parents did already have the latest design degas hose (it was changed less than 2 Years ago). Unfortunately 3 Weeks ago the degas hose failed at high speed at a German motorway.  

to lose a full tank of coolant in a 9 mile drive would leave the lower engine bay soaking wet if it was a leak of any kind.

sounds ominous if its dry on inspection 

i wouldnt drive it until it can be checked over at a garage

Have you pulled the carpet back in the drivers side foot well to check that the internal pipework to the heater matrix isn't leaking?  (I'm not familiar with this aspect of the MK3 Focus but it was a known issue with the MK2 Focus so worth checking, if nothing else it rules one more possible cause out of the equation).

On 11/27/2017 at 10:14 PM, 1979Damian said:

Have you pulled the carpet back in the drivers side foot well to check that the internal pipework to the heater matrix isn't leaking?  (I'm not familiar with this aspect of the MK3 Focus but it was a known issue with the MK2 Focus so worth checking, if nothing else it rules one more possible cause out of the equation).

I was just about to update this and you've commented with the problem.  The O ring into the heater matrix has deteriorated, and it's flooded my footwell lol.   

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club