Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Had enough of focus

chris26

Here goes had new engine fitted 2nd hand (all my old parts went onto the engine). The car wont go above 2-3k revs which is anoying with a 50mph speed limit. Now i have an oil leek coming from the oil cooler. I thing the best place for it could be with its mother in scrap yard

Here goes had new engine fitted 2nd hand (all my old parts went onto the engine). The car wont go above 2-3k revs which is anoying with a 50mph speed limit. Now i have an oil leek coming from the oil cooler. I thing the best place for it could be with its mother in scrap yard

take it back to who fitted the engine they sourced it so they should have known the mileage on it etc they are responsible clearly something wasnt dobne correctly so get it back

hi Chris26,

it's a contentious issue, when do you stop putting money into an old motor?

For instance I put £400 into a 10 year old Focus 1.8i Zetec back in Dec 2009, new clutch, front discs and pads. The engine had 79k on it, was perky and never used a drop of oil between it's annual services, and started first time every time. It did have its first paint "bubble" appearing over a rear wheel arch, but on the face of it had years of life left in it. Unfortunately ten days later, somebody wanting my wife's side of the road, wrote it off in a head on collision.

That said, doing the above work with new components, meant the results were not in dispute. In that the motor would be returned back to first class mechanical working order.

On the other hand, would I personally had gone to the extent of paying to have an unknown second hand engine put in the motor? I very much doubt it as the result could not be guaranteed to fix the problem I may have already had.

hi Chris26,

it's a contentious issue, when do you stop putting money into an old motor?

For instance I put £400 into a 10 year old Focus 1.8i Zetec back in Dec 2009, new clutch, front discs and pads. The engine had 79k on it, was perky and never used a drop of oil between it's annual services, and started first time every time. It did have its first paint "bubble" appearing over a rear wheel arch, but on the face of it had years of life left in it. Unfortunately ten days later, somebody wanting my wife's side of the road, wrote it off in a head on collision.

That said, doing the above work with new components, meant the results were not in dispute. In that the motor would be returned back to first class mechanical working order.

On the other hand, would I personally had gone to the extent of paying to have an unknown second hand engine put in the motor? I very much doubt it as the result could not be guaranteed to fix the problem I may have already had.

HAVE TGREE THERE WERE A FEW THINGS YOU NEVER MENTIONED WHERE DID THE ENGINE COME FROM WAS IT WORKING CORRECTLY AND TESTED AND WHAT WAS THE MILEAGE ON THAT ENGINE sorry caps on and i didnt notice the garage could argue they did the job they were paid to do they fitted the engine however if they sourced the engine for you then the above questions needed to be asked i would go back and ask these questions and explaijn youre issue with the car and see what they say you may have to take it to ford and pay a diagnostics but its cheaper than continually ploughing cash into it. gotta agree with the focus my 2001 y regh zetec 1.8 hasnt let me down touch wood apart from a small rust bubble on the same place which is being repaired soon but ide happily put the cash into it its still got a second handf value of 2600quid

The engine came off a 04 plate focus it was in a back-end smash resulting in a write off. the mileage was around 75-76k my old engine had done 160+k. The car is booked back in the garage on tuesday to sort the loss of power/3k rev max. And the oil cooler i have to pay to get that replaced myself as it was off my old engine and not under the garage waranty. Hopefully after the car is running correctly ill change my mind about parting with my focus and fall back in love with her.

The engine came off a 04 plate focus it was in a back-end smash resulting in a write off. the mileage was around 75-76k my old engine had done 160+k. The car is booked back in the garage on tuesday to sort the loss of power/3k rev max. And the oil cooler i have to pay to get that replaced myself as it was off my old engine and not under the garage waranty. Hopefully after the car is running correctly ill change my mind about parting with my focus and fall back in love with her.

i trad myold vw passat 1.8 in for the focus it was a 98 with a full dealer history and stacks of receipts dont think other cars can be any better i spent so much on the passat in a year it went through 2 struts brake disks and pads front and rear front and rear wheel bearings rear brake hose the timing belt and tensioner were a nightmare the whole front end has to be removed new fan belt then the climatronic went haywire then the aircon compressor packed in i fixed it all and had enough parts are ridiculously priced and vw dealers are twice as bad as vw for price and service so far with the focus i just had the idle control and a vacum pipe dont write it off just yet sometimes it can be a stupid thing sometimes overlooked that can cause the problem

The limited speed and revs sound to me like the car is in limp-home mode - you need an OBDII scan on that to see what the craic is.

That's wot i was guessing limp-home mode but someone said it could be an open valve aswell.

If it stops bang on 50 mph in all gears, I more or less guarantee it's limp home - just unusual if the engine management (MIL) light isn't illuminated on the dash.

/=-44It stops bang on 50mph and the engine management light isn't illuminated on the dash.

Sounds like a potential electrical issue - if it's bang on 50mph, that's got to be limp-home without the visible warning. Can you get the RAC or someone to come out and OBDII it?

Sounds like a potential electrical issue - if it's bang on 50mph, that's got to be limp-home without the visible warning. Can you get the RAC or someone to come out and OBDII it?

thats what i thought the mil might not be illuminated for a dozen reasons including stuff not being wired up right code scan is the best way to go hopefully the place youre taking it to hasa scanner otherwise for want of a better word youre !Removed! in the wind my friend

only problem being, it might not have obdII? wasnt mandatory on diesels until 2004...

only problem being, it might not have obdII? wasnt mandatory on diesels until 2004...

I'd be very surprised if it isn't!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club