Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant leak

mattwlkr

Hello,

I seem to have a coolant leak, I've took it to the garage and they replaced the thermostat housing but it's still loosing coolant. I have little faith in the garage so want to see if this is something I can identify and fix myself. I've done an oil change, filter etc on this car so pretty basic mechanical knowledge.

I noticed that my passenger foot well is wet now (I did throw some water on the screen to remove ice), There was a tissue roll on the floor which did have some brown/red staining on it. From what I've read perhaps the heater matrix? I don't know what i'm checking though.

Any advice is appreciated.

- Matt

The heater matrix itself doesn't often fail, but on the MK2 the pipes on the earlier versions that lead from the matrix and through the bulkhead (drivers side) are jointed in the middle, the o-rings perish over time and it leaks.  If it was anything to do with the heater matrix I'd be surprised if it's only the passenger side footwell.  Have pulled the carpet back and checked the driver's side as that would confirm an issue with either the heater matrix (possibly) or more likely the jointed pipes.

11 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

The heater matrix itself doesn't often fail, but on the MK2 the pipes on the earlier versions that lead from the matrix and through the bulkhead (drivers side) are jointed in the middle, the o-rings perish over time and it leaks.  If it was anything to do with the heater matrix I'd be surprised if it's only the passenger side footwell.  Have pulled the carpet back and checked the driver's side as that would confirm an issue with either the heater matrix (possibly) or more likely the jointed pipes.

I'd say the driver side is damp but not wet, these jointed pipes are they easily accessible? Would the signs of a leak be staining or shall I top up and watch for leaks?

The pipes are a t**t to get to, if you have the orangey red long life Ford anti freeze you will normally be able to see some yellowy/brown-ish stains if it has been leaking.  Is the sound proofing behind the carpet also a damp or just the carpet itself.

In terms of the pipes if you lay on your back with your head towards the clutch pedal you'll be able to clearly see the joint/union in the pipes (if there is one)....oh and a torch will come in handy as well! :biggrin:

5 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

The pipes are a t**t to get to, if you have the orangey red long life Ford anti freeze you will normally be able to see some yellowy/brown-ish stains if it has been leaking.  Is the sound proofing behind the carpet also a damp or just the carpet itself.

In terms of the pipes if you lay on your back with your head towards the clutch pedal you'll be able to clearly see the joint/union in the pipes (if there is one)....oh and a torch will come in handy as well! :biggrin:

I'll have to recheck the carpet. It is that orangy coolant.

The pipes don't look bad. something i did spot in the engine bay was the clip rubbing against another pipe/hose?

IMG_0107[1].JPG

IMG_0108[1].JPG

Just checked the carpets It doesn't really smell like coolant at all. It's wetter on the passenger side both carpet and sound proofing. Driver side just feels damp in fact all sound proofing feels a little damp under the dash.

47 minutes ago, mattwlkr said:

Just checked the carpets It doesn't really smell like coolant at all. It's wetter on the passenger side both carpet and sound proofing. Driver side just feels damp in fact all sound proofing feels a little damp under the dash.

I doubt it's anything to do with the heater matrix system then, also you have the newer all in 1 pipes that aren't jointed in the middle.  I don't know if there are any drains on the passenger side that might have blocked and be causing water to get into the cabin when it shouldn't.  I know I've seen cases reported on here before but can't remember which model it was for :wallbash:

ok I'll have a hunt for the blocked drain. The Coolant loss is my main worry, i just can't track the thing.

Hmm... well today this morning there was no coolant, topped up, checked it at work the level is the same as i left and on lunch it is still the same.

I've ordered a expansion vessel cap in case it is that (there is some white stains above the tank).

at the top of the first photo there is a bolt that looks odd. Looks like it is undone and about to fall out. or am I misunderstanding how it looks - any other views?

I can't place that bolt tbh, but I agree it doesn't look right. 

That clip definitely needs moving though, it'll pop the hose eventually.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I can't place that bolt tbh, but I agree it doesn't look right. 

That clip definitely needs moving though, it'll pop the hose eventually.

Is that a coolant hose? And does that go all the way through the pipe?

Might be worth checking with engine running that you don't have a small leak when the system is under pressure (so engine warm).

Have a look at my guide. May not be the same issue but could help you in some way!

29 minutes ago, Fok said:

Have a look at my guide. May not be the same issue but could help you in some way!

Hi Fok, the OP doesn't appear to have the jointed pipes in the footwell. Good guide though mate!

I have a strange situation, I took my son to work the other day, and when we arrived the temp gauge was reading high and there was a gurgling from under the bonnet. I switched the car off immediately and left it for two minutes. Started it back up and drove home with no issues. Got home and the expansion tank was empty, so filled it back up with water and anti freeze. I did an 8 mile drive the day after and the level had dropped a little bit, topped it back up. Today have done 10 miles, most with no blower on, the level is ok. This looks like an issue with using the blowers. Any advice greatly appreciated as usual.

On 02/12/2017 at 10:14 PM, Stevesixty7 said:

I have a strange situation, I took my son to work the other day, and when we arrived the temp gauge was reading high and there was a gurgling from under the bonnet. I switched the car off immediately and left it for two minutes. Started it back up and drove home with no issues. Got home and the expansion tank was empty, so filled it back up with water and anti freeze. I did an 8 mile drive the day after and the level had dropped a little bit, topped it back up. Today have done 10 miles, most with no blower on, the level is ok. This looks like an issue with using the blowers. Any advice greatly appreciated as usual.

I'd start of by checking if you have the type of aluminium pipe for the heater matrix  that is jointed in the middle (near the clutch pedal).  When mine was leaking it was okay until the engine warmed up, then the thermostat opened and the extra pressure was enough to cause the joints to leak.

• Like 1

I think i'm going to have to get this to a decent garage before something goes wrong. I'd like to know where its leaking so I don't get fobbed off.

Anyone rate click mechanic or am i better at an independant?

Didn't even notice the bolt, will get that looked at along with the clip, stupid way to position a clip if you ask me.

Hello, Can you help identify this bolt? I got the pic on the left from google the right is mine.

LOOSEBOLT.JPG.5cffe638a1f15854aff07817764ac7d2.JPG

Thanks

Ok so took this to the garage on Friday and seems to have sorted it. The hose with a clamp on punctured the other hose and was gradually leaking under pressure.

The bolt needs tightening but thats it.

Sorted.

- Matt

• Like 2

Glad you got the leak sorted, it happens quite often when people refit hose clips without checking the angle on them.  Didn't the garage spend 20 seconds tightening that bolt for you lol?  Looks like a gearbox or starter bolt but I'm not familiar with the 1.8 engine, either way, not ideal to leave loose. :unsure: 

49 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Glad you got the leak sorted, it happens quite often when people refit hose clips without checking the angle on them.  Didn't the garage spend 20 seconds tightening that bolt for you lol?  Looks like a gearbox or starter bolt but I'm not familiar with the 1.8 engine, either way, not ideal to leave loose. :unsure: 

I'll try and tighten it up, bit of an irritation they couldn't be bothered.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club